Feature Request: Choose a "Default" password to Automatically fill with command+\

Options
JoshFindit
JoshFindit
Community Member
edited September 2014 in Mac

As the size of the list of passwords grows for some sites, it's cumbersome to press command+\ then scroll through the list to find the right one. Of course, one is used 80% of the time while they rest are used 20% of the time.

What would really help reduce the number of keystrokes is to be able to say:

This entry is the default for this site; when I press command+\, automatically fill it

Having chosen that, the other entries are still available by clicking mini or the browser extension.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You can of course make favourites to get them to the top of the list.

Stephen

• JoshFindit
    JoshFindit
    Community Member
    Options

Unless I'm missing something, the favourites feature basically moves it to a (hopefully) less cluttered area but when 1Password is pulled up on a page with a login form, the main list is still sorted alphabetically.

That's how it worked in the testing I just did with 10.9 and Chrome.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, that's strange. I'm using Firefox and when I open 1P4 using ⌥⌘\ there is a Favourites item above Password generator in 1P mini. If I go to a page with a login I've saved I simply press ⌘\ and 1P4 fills the login and password.

What am I misunderstanding? :) Can you attach a screen shot showing the problem, or perhaps explain it a little more. Sorry if I'm being obtuse.

Stephen

• JoshFindit
    JoshFindit
    Community Member
    Options

No problem; obtuse is a good trait for gaining clarity :)

Let's take Google as an example.

How it works now:

We go to gmail.com, and press command+\

-1Password mini comes up

The entry I want is favourited, but to get to it we have to either use the arrow keys or the mouse to select favourites, then the entry.
    Alternately, I can choose to "Show more", and get this menu (note: the favourite is not at the top by default)

In testing this, I think I stumbled on the way you'd think that people use it: press command+\, then type in to search (the favourite comes to the top)

In each of these scenarios, the choice has to be made consciously each time a person logs in. (I normally uncheck the "remember me" setting just because I have 1Password, so logins are frequent)

How I'm requesting:

Go to gmail.com, press command+\

-The default entry is filled and submitted.

We're used to this behaviour, because that's how it works when there is only 1 password (ha) for a site.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Command-\ will fill the Login item if there is an exact match for the subdomain. If you want to force this, make sure the URL in the Login item matches the subdomain exactly and that your other Login items for the domain do not match the same subdomain.

In your example, set the URL in the Login you want to fill when you press ⌘\ to accounts.google.com and set the others to google.com.

Let me know how it goes. :)

• JoshFindit
    JoshFindit
    Community Member
    Options

It's a bit of a pain to change all the URLs, but I'm happy to report that it does accomplish the results: going to gmail.com, then pressing ⌘\ does automatically fill in the single entry that has the url of https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin

As an interesting side bonus, 1Password mini's list is cleaner on https://accounts.google.com/ , hiding the other entries:

For anyone else referencing this, I changed all other entries to:

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLoginAuth

And only the 'default' entry to:

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin

This easily accomplishes 80% of what I requested; Thanks :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well for you. I'm glad you took the time to follow up.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.