1Password Windows + 1Password 5 iOS + iCloud Drive = When?

Options

1Password Windows + 1Password 5 iOS + iCloud Drive = When?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Probably never :(

1Password 5 for iOS uses CloudKit, and I'm afraid this is incompatible with iCloud Drive.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/cloudkit-faq

• ADMiNZ
    ADMiNZ
    Community Member
    Options

It is not very good.Since not see any sense to keep 2 file service ...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ADMiNZ,

I'm sorry we don't have a better answer for you about that! To give you a bit more detail, iCloud Drive has a folder sync option (similar to Dropbox), but it has trouble detecting changes within bundles so it won't work as a folder sync solution for 1Password. Therefore, 1Password 5 for iOS (and soon for Mac) use the new CloudKit technology in iCloud Drive. Unfortunately there is no CloudKit support for Windows.

If you haven't already done so, please take a look at our CloudKit FAQ for more information.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

To keep 1Password for Windows synced with 1Password for iOS, you'll need to use Dropbox or Wi-Fi, as explained in the Syncing your 1Password data article in the user's guide.

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member
    Options

That's a shame. Syncing seems to be the one area Lastpass excels in.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @brandscill,

Syncing should work well in 1Password too. Are you having any trouble with that? If so, please let us know some details and we'll be happy to help. :)

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

I had some problems getting Dropbox sync to work initially (404 error) but now it's working fine and works very well. I have 1P setup on two Windows PC's, 2 iPhones and an iPad and all are now syncing ok.

It's fast as well. I can make a change on the computer and within seconds see it popup in 1P on my phone. If you've not tried dropbox sync I highly recommend it. Assuming you don't run into the 404 error I think you'd like it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reck ++ :)

I've also always had a great experience with Dropbox sync. Fast & reliable for me, I haven't had any problems.

The 404 error is a Dropbox error code that indicates a problem communicating with their servers. It usually solves itself automatically, often within a few minutes.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Well took a few days in my case to get it fixed. Also one vault synced fine during this period but not my primary one for some reason. Anyway now it works, it works well (for me anyway).

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG‌ I was hoping to use iCloud Drive to sync everything but as you answered in a another post this isn't going to work. I didn't want to have to sign up to dropbox just to use 1Password so this makes it a bit more complicated when considering a purchase. I use OSX and iOS primarily but I need it on Windows at my work.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Dropbox is free and works well to sync your 1Password data across all the platforms for which we offer 1Password. It's the all-platform sync solution, offering as a side benefit off-site storage of your 1Password data and other important files.

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I'm aware what Dropbox is but I don't want to signup for Dropbox just for the sake of 1password.

It's not the all platform sync solution either is it. Google drive is another all platform sync solution.

It's fine, the trial period gives users a chance to gauge how useful the service will be for them and that's what I'm doing in my trial period. I didn't want to simply write it off without checking first but now I know the answer I can look at alternatives to 1 Password as well

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

It's not the all platform sync solution either is it. Google drive is another all platform sync solution.

Google does not support Linux out of the box. That needs a third party bit of software. Dropbox does though.

but I don't want to signup for Dropbox just for the sake of 1password.

I'll admit, I've never understood that attitude. It's not like signing up for Dropbox involves giving away any confidential information.

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member
    Options

@RichardPayne‌ The reason I have that attitude is I don't want to use yet another piece of software just to manage another. That'll be two clients running on every machine effectively doing the same thing.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Fair enough, but why chose iCloud when clearly it doesn't actually meet your needs since they apparently include Windows? iCloud support for Window is poor so iCloud seems like an odd choice for you.

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@RichardPayne‌ You've made an assumption about what my needs are. iCloud on Windows meets my needs perfectly. What doesn't meet my needs at the moment is 1Password. I'm not going to change something I've used for a couple of years for something I've trialled for less than week.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

The trouble you have is that any password manager that lets you get control of your encryption keys is going to need local file sync. The only way you can continue to use iCloud is to eschew local vault storage and go with a internet based password management service. The trouble there is that they are a higher risk option.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is, in fact, the all-platform sync solution for your 1Password data, as explained here:

Syncing your 1Password data

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Okay guys cheers for helping me making up my mind. 1Password won't suit my work laptop needs for the moment.

I won't need to update that to frequently so I guess I could just do this manually.

Quick question though, could I wifi sync to iPhone and then from iPhone to windows or will it just duplicate ?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem @brandscill, we completely understand! Everyone has different needs, there's no single password manager that's going to be right for everyone. You should find the one that's right for you.

If you ever decide to give 1Password another shot and need any help or have questions, please let us know! :)

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member
    Options

Oh I'm still giving it a shot @Drew_AG‌ but just OS X and iOS at the moment.

It's a tough choice, lastpass has integrated syncing and 1Password has better desktop clients! Still got 20 days to evaluate so shall see.

Thanks for your continued help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome @brandscill. I hope you enjoy 1Password for Mac and iOS!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brandscill‌ wrote:

...could I wifi sync to iPhone and then from iPhone to windows or will it just duplicate ?

From what platform to iPhone? If you're going from PC 1 to iPhone to PC 2 and then back to iPhone and to PC 1, you should end up with the same 1Password data on all three, but—YIKES!—what a headache.

Dropbox is free.

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown‌ OSX to iPhone to Windows.

Will you please stop trying to push dropbox. I've said time and time again I don't want to sign up for yet another syncing service just for the sake of syncing with my work laptop from time to time. Plus there are issues where you can't have two dropbox accounts on one computer.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Plus there are issues where you can't have two dropbox accounts on one computer.

Doesn't iCloud have this same problem?

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

You guys just won't give up will you! Yes iCloud has this problem but I don't have a work iCloud account. There is periodically a need to use a work Dropbox account.

I made the point about Dropbox supporting two accounts on one machine because of my setup needs, not to try and prove iCloud is better than Dropbox. As far as I'm aware it's a limitation of Google drive, Dropbox and iCloud.

Not once have I said Dropbox is a bad solution all I've said is its not going to work for me and that's a personal decision based on my needs.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

@brandscill‌ Just trying to figure out why you prefer iCloud over Dropbox. I'm not trying to prove Dropbox is better than iCloud. Not once have I said iCloud is a bad solution.

• brandscill
    brandscill
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch‌ it has tighter integration with the services I already use and the products I own.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

@brandscill‌ I want to believe, but your arguments are vague. As a developer, I can tell you iCloud has lots of issues.

iCloud for iOS8 (CloudKit) is not compatible with iCloud for OS X Mavericks (iCloud Documents & Data) is not compatible with iCloud for Windows (iCloud Drive).

Dropbox is generally a hassle-free sync solution.

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch. Agreed. I use Google Drive, Dropbox and OneDrive - all for different reasons. My primary platform is the Mac and of these three solution, I find Dropbox meets my needs the best. Some of the features of Dropbox I like are: local LAN sync (not sure if any of the others do), supports Mavericks Tags (OneDrive doesn't do this), supports unusual characters i.e. OneDrive won't sync a Mac Address Book due to illegal characters ,supports two factor authentication, historical restores and so on. I've not used iCloud Drive but has the obvious issue of not working on non-Mac platforms yet (Yosemite version).

Dropbox also supports the majority of apps out there (seems like a standard of sorts) - due to the excellent API.

Anyway - I'm sure people have their own reasons but don't discount using multiple cloud drives. Unfortunately there is always going to be services that work with this, but not that etc - hence why I have three sync types. Now I can use pretty much any app without worrying.

This discussion has been closed.