1Password Windows + 1Password 5 iOS + iCloud Drive = When?

2»

Comments

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

Just passing by. If i get it right, iCloud Drive is not even in public beta on Windows anyway. And Cloudkit doesn't work on Windows at the moment? I tried looking at the docs here and there but Apple's choices seem rather convoluted (os limitations for Cloudkit and stuff).

I would rather see sync methods like Google Drive and MS OneDrive implemented to be honest (and Wifi sync for 1Password Android).

I used 1Password on Windows since its release then i switched to Lastpass and got back to 1Password. Lastpass surely has a good syncing as it's web based and it's also its downside. No real local app to browse your vault (there is one but well...). The best way to access your vault is to use a web browser and the UI is rather crudely designed. Lastpass is REALLY cloud centered, something i'm not found of as a network tech.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

If i get it right, iCloud Drive is not even in public beta on Windows anyway.

Actually, it has been released to the public.

And Cloudkit doesn't work on Windows at the moment?

Correct. Windows is iCloud-Drive-only.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

@brandscill‌, I'm not trying to "push" Dropbox, and I'm sorry I gave that impression.

My intention in this thread has been (and continues to be) only to make it clear that Dropbox is the only sync method that supports all the platforms for which we make 1Password available.

Note: In other threads, over the years, I have mentioned my personal satisfaction with Dropbox, both for syncing my 1Password data and for making other files and folders easily transferrable among my Macs, PCs, and iOS devices. It's also been invaluable in making photos, videos, and other documents available to other people and in offering free off-site backup of my important documents, as well. I have a paid Dropbox account, and I wouldn't compute without it, now that I've seen its value to me, but that's utterly unrelated to this thread or the fact that it's the one all-platform sync method for 1Password. I mention it only to make it clear why I may have given the impression that I like Dropbox: I do.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

Dropbox now offers an inferior service to some of the other Cloud Drive solutions

What "inferior service"?

I'm a OneDrive customer with over 1TB of storage that came FREE with an Office 365 home subscription.

That subscription costs $9.99 per month, correct? For that money, Dropbox comes with 1TB of storage, too.

OneDrive has superb web apps for the office documents, can allow co-authoring of MS Office documents.

Yes, this is really nice. Google Drive offers more of less the same service, by the way.

the lack of support for anything other than Dropbox

We do support other cloud services on Mac and Windows, including OneDrive. However, there is a catch. We do not support OneDrive on iPhone and Android. For those mobile platforms, we support Wi-Fi Sync.

and no enthusiasm from AgileBits to consider OneDrive

We actually do consider all of them, including OneDrive. Thanks!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

That subscription costs $9.99 per month, correct? For that money, Dropbox comes with 1TB of storage, too.

Although, minus the leading Office suite. ;)

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

We do support other cloud services on Mac and Windows, including OneDrive. However, there is a catch. We do not support OneDrive on iPhone and Android. For those mobile platforms, we support Wi-Fi Sync.

@svondutch‌ Unless i'm missing something Wi-Fi sync exists for the iPhone app but not the Android one (i'm using it). :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

You're right -- Wi-Fi Sync is on our list of things to do for Android. Thank you for reminding me!

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

Eheh it's because this feature is something i'm really waiting for, i'm used to local sync with Keepass as i'm just syncing between one Windows machine and one Android phone. I just have to local sync when i'm leaving home, no need for cloud sync ;)

• ADMiNZ
    ADMiNZ
    Community Member

Not to create a new theme ask here.

And as with OneDrive?
    Whether he would then be supported in iOS version 1Password?
    The problem is that Dropbox works in Russia several times slower than the same iCloud or OnDrive :(

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The problem is that Dropbox works in Russia several times slower than the same iCloud or OnDrive

Curious. Do you know why?

• ADMiNZ
    ADMiNZ
    Community Member

Most likely due to the fact that Dropbox bad links and it is not so much in demand on the other cloud services.

I is not convenient to store their data in different locations. I prefer to have 1 account at 100-200 GB.

Now it turns out that I use only for Dropbox 1Passvord

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ADMiNZ,

To answer your question about OneDrive (or other similar cloud sync services), the reason it can currently work with 1Password for Mac or Windows is because those versions of 1Password can simply write data to a local folder on the computer, and the cloud sync service takes care of the rest. This doesn't require us to make any changes to 1Password in order to support those sync services.

But on iOS, because of sandboxing restrictions, it doesn't work the same way. We would have to program the 1Password app to support each individual cloud sync service - which is much more difficult than it sounds. There are a lot of things to consider, and plenty of work involved.

Our developers have certainly been exploring options for other sync solutions, so hopefully we'll have more options for you in the future.

• vashachiroku
    vashachiroku
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

My opinion is support the big three and stop redirecting customers to other solutions. AgileBits shouldn't be so dependent on DropBox, what if they got sold to someone else, lets say Facebook what happens then? Just support the big 3 of each device and platform. This will cut back on thread after thread after thread on the forums. Obviously people want Onedrive support, Android Wifi, and a freaking Windows Phone 8 app (just make it Universal, which means possible and Xbox One app too, how many others can claim that?)

Top 3 in the Syncing market (Yes Icloud could be there, but they are not the biggest

• DropBox - Cross Platform Mobile (iOS, Android, WP) and Desktop (Mac, Windows)
    • OneDrive - Cross Platform Mobile (iOS, Android, WP) and Desktop (Mac, Windows)
    • GoogleDrive - Semi-Cross Platform (iOS, Android) and Desktop (Mac, Windows)

Top 3 Mobile

• iOS
    • Android
    • WP

Don't be an Apple and lock into only Apple, and don't be a Google where you hold customers hostage, I mean come on for F sake make a YouTube app for Windows Phone is it really that big of a deal. If you want to be like anyone be more like Microsoft, cross platform and makes the services for everything, not the Microsoft of the 90's, but this new mobile first cloud first strategy.

Make a good product and let the customers choose the best solution for them.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts on this, @vashachiroku‌!

This discussion has been closed.