"Trial Expired" problem fixed - but now double charged.

Options
Glen
Glen
Community Member

I have downloaded the latest version to attempt a fix of the "TRIAL EXPIRED" beta message that was causing loss of use of the product. It's fixed.

But now I have been charged twice - another $49.99.

I want a refund. How do I go about obtaining a refund of this double charge?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No doubt somebody from AgileBits will be along shortly but I am slightly confused. Where did you purchase both copies from? I ask as simply downloading 1Password from AgileBits wouldn't be enough to purchase it, you'd literally have to go through the steps of adding it to your shopping cart and adding contact and payment details - all of which should have had big red flashing lights blinking in the back of your head.

If you purchased once from AgileBits and then once from the App Store they would be treated as completely separate purchases and purchasing from one doesn't allow free access to the other. If you purchased both from the App Store or just the second one then you'll need to contact Apple as they control the entire transaction from start to finish and AgileBits have no control over that.

Saying where you purchased each copy from (probably best to state which version too if you have both receipts) won't give anything too confidential away and it will assist the staff member once they see your post.

• Glen
    Glen
    Community Member
    Options

... I downloaded he second one from the Apple Store so I will contacted Apple.

I understand Apple controls the entire transaction from start to finish but there was no fix for this "TRIAL EXPIRED" problem. This problem rendered my copy use less without another download of 1password and AgileBits must accept responsibility for that.

I will continue to make others aware. The customer should be protected no matter how or where the software product is purchased!!!

Lots of folks have had this issue. It was not a user problem, but a bug in the software.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So it seems like you're saying the first was purchased directly from AgileBits then. You can download a trial version from their site although I do now notice you also used the word beta in your first post.

So what version of 1Password did you purchase from AgileBits and when? Were you running a trial version and then decided to purchase the application? If you did you should have received a licence to apply to the trial version, are you saying this is what happened and it didn't recognise the licence?

If you can go through the steps that led up to you purchasing a copy from Apple's App Store maybe a suggestion can be made on how to fix the trial copy you have.

• Glen
    Glen
    Community Member
    Options

The problem has been fixed... I never ever ran a trial copy of this software.

I have been running the 1PASSWORD software for months with a license when several weeks after upgrading to a beta version, I suddenly was unable to use the software because it stated "TRIAL EXPIRED".

This has happened to lots of other OSX users users of 1PASSWORD as is verified by a simple google search.

It was fixed after downloading and installing the current version.

• Glen
    Glen
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Does anyone know how to list a log file to show historical updates to your software?

I'm running OSX 10.9.5 and what shows after purchasing and installing the latest software is:

1Password 4 Version 4.4.2.BETA-4 (442004) Agile Beta.

My System Information shows:
    1Password:

Version: 4.4.1
    Source: Mac App Store
    Install Date: 10/3/14, 10:34 AM

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Glen,

There you go : https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4

Don't forget to tick the checkbox to see betas changelog.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Would this thread on running beta versions of 1Password explain what you've been seeing Glen?

• Glen
    Glen
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbytables,

I have downloaded the latest version to attempt a fix of the "TRIAL EXPIRED" beta message that was causing loss of use of the product. It's fixed.

But now I have been charged twice - another $49.99.

I want a refund. How do I go about obtaining a refund of this double charge?

Is there a way I can access OSX log / audit trail data to prove my double purchase?? ...so that I can present this to AgileBits and Apple for a refund.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @Glen

Just for some pointers here, some of these may not apply directly to your issue.

Apple does not allow BETA apps into the App Store, so downloading from them would not have fixed a beta expired issue. Well it would by allowing you to install a Mac App Store licensed copy but it does not really solve the underlying issue. Having a beta expired message.

Apple does not allow trial apps. The only place you can get a trial version is from the AgileBits site. Same goes for the beta. Your issue seems to stem from the beta and it is true it would display the trial expired message after 30 days if you did not have a license installed.

It seems like you may have ran 1Password from before the time a fully qualified license was needed for the beta's. It was changed to also require a license.

Glen you do not have to be so steadfast in your wanting update logs. ;) Its much simpler than that. AgileBits almost never ask for such information. All that is needed is a copy of your invoice from Apple and the staff can look up your purchase in the office files. Usually by email.

If you were charged double by simply mistake or other means both places will rectify it. The first real question is do you want to participate in the Betas ? If so your best bet is to remain on the website version. Do you intend on iCloud syncing ? if so the best bet is to go with the Mac App Store version.

I would take this off channel and converse directly with the staff thru an email. Its gets a record going of all things you send in like purchase receipts and they keep it documented etc.

Please do include a link to this topic so they can connect the dots as they say. Please Include any purchase receipts from Apple and email address for the AgileBits site. It will save time, and expedite your request, rather than having to wait on the staff to say something similar. I would also look over the questions, I noted above about syncing type etc. Determine which app best suits you and your situation indicating that to the staff as well. The staff can then help get you sorted no matter which road you choose.

support@agilebits.com

• Glen
    Glen
    Community Member
    Options

thightower,

Thank You for your reply.

I will follow up as you suggest.

I do like the 1PASSWORD product, but after this experience (which I admit was my mistake to upgrade to a Beta version), I would certainly caution anyone from participating in Beta testing. It has cause me grief.

I still do not understand why my "ABOUT 1PASSWORD" data still indicates a Beta version, when I have just purchased, downloaded and installed the current product from the Apple Store. This does not seem correct. As I stated previously it reads 1Password 4 Version 4.4.2.BETA-4 (442004) Agile Beta. Do you know why?

Thanks again for your concern and information.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Glen‌

Open your Applications folder do you have a copy of 1Password in that folder and do you have a folder inside applications called 1Password with a copy of the application inside it. I personally have seen this one. This is my guess. 2 later scenarios are:

Possibly have 2 copies just inside the applications folder. One with a few digits on the end this usually happens when an update failed to remove the older copy to the trash. Its possible a shortcut in the dock or an app launcher is or was opening the wrong one. Since the install from the Mac App Store this may have been likely remedied.

Another one is launching from an old disk image or inside the trash.

• Glen
    Glen
    Community Member
    Options

hmmm... I see two apps one called "1password" and another called "1password 4".

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @Glen,

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. It looks like you've requested the refund from iTunes support team already. If they're not able to do anything for you, please forward the receipt email to us at support+licenses@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread, so we can quickly help you get the money back.

hmmm... I see two apps one called "1password" and another called "1password 4".

1Password.app is the version from the Mac App Store and 1Password 4.app is from our web store and it is the beta version you're using.

If you bought 1Password from the Mac App Store, it does not replace the website/beta version as they're two unrelated versions of 1Password.

In addition, you may also notice your data will be different because these apps do not interact with each other nor share data.

If you open 1Password.app, it will show you non-beta About dialog and you may notice it shows you the welcome tour assuming you haven't gone through that already.

The main reason the Trial Expired message went away is because 1Password 4.app found your receipt from the Mac App Store version of 1Password and automatically registered itself. We do this to let Mac App Store customers switch to our beta versions to test without paying again.

• Glen
    Glen
    Community Member
    Options

So my most recent "purchase" was from the Mac Apple Store. I have not contacted Mac Apple Store, but I have sent AgileBits support an email as you have suggested and I would appreciate a refund.

Thanks for the explanations.

• Glen
    Glen
    Community Member
    Options

IMHO AgileBits needs to do more to insure that what happened to me doesn't repeat itself for other customers.

Barring some additional preventative code that could authenticate and prevent a download, you might want to at a minimum increase the documentation at the point of sale (at both sites Mac Apple Store and your own AgileBits website).

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@MikeT‌

Wanted to make sure you saw @Glen‌ 's

Followup

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @Glen,

IMHO AgileBits needs to do more to insure that what happened to me doesn't repeat itself for other customers.

We would absolutely love to, we do try to think up of ways to do this but keep in mind that we have zero control of what happens at the Mac App Store and we have no knowledge of customers who bought our apps at the Mac App Store.

Apple does not share any information with us other than the amount of sales. There is no customer information being shared, so that means we can't prevent this from happening at either store if we don't have the info.

The only actionable thing we can do is to refund the duplicate order and that's what we will do in all cases. In addition, we have a 30-day money back promise that will help.

The number of cases that this has occurred in the past two years that we've been doing this are a very small amount, we want to prevent this further to get it to zero cases and we're working on some ideas that might do that.

Barring some additional preventative code that could authenticate and prevent a download,

Not possible as mentioned above.

you might want to at a minimum increase the documentation at the point of sale (at both sites Mac Apple Store and your own AgileBits website).

We can't do this at the Mac App Store, it has to follow Apple's strict regulations. At our web store, we might be able to and we'll look into this.

Thanks for sharing your suggestions with us!

• Glen
    Glen
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT; Thightower,

Thanks again for listening and responding quickly. As I mentioned before "I do like the 1PASSWORD product" and this problem hasn't deterred me from now going ahead and adding it to my iPad as was my original plan...

Glen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Glen,

I'm so glad to hear that @MikeT and @thightower‌ were able to help get things sorted out for you! Thanks so much for your kind words about 1Password, and your patience with this issue. :)

If you run into any further snags, we're here to help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Glen,

I'm so glad to hear that @MikeT and @thightower‌ were able to help get things sorted out for you! Thanks so much for your kind words about 1Password, and your patience with this issue. :)

If you run into any further snags, we're here to help!

• Glen
    Glen
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,

Received my refund for the 'double charge' of the 1PASSWORD software today from the Mac Apple Store.

Agilebits has been very cooperative in helping to resolve this issue for me. Thanks Again!

Glen

• @Glen,

On behalf of @Megan and @MikeT and everyone else who helped out, you're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.