Wrong passwords saved?

Options
glauco
glauco
Community Member

Hi!

I'm in the trial version for OS X and Android. I'm considering the idea of buying a license, but first I need to clarify some details.

I reported a bug for the Android version some days ago. Now I have a bug to report about the OS X version.

Maybe I am doing something wrong. I don't know. I'm an experienced user (technology).

I've already saved a lot of logins. Now, for the 3rd time, I couldn't login using 1P via Chrome extension, because the page detected "wrong password or e-mail." I'm forced to choose "Forgot password", then I reset it, and 1P updates the login. It appears that the OS X app saves wrong data.

For instance, some minutes ago I couldn't login to Dropbox for this same reason. I had to reset the password. Then I made a test. I logged out and tried to login again. The login info was already updated in 1P. What then? Same problem: wrong password or email. Really, it seems that 1P does not save the correct data.

I know that Dropbox had a problem yesterday with leaked passwords. But this is not the problem here. And I updated the login info.

The problem also happened when I tried to connect to Evernote.

Comments

• glauco
    glauco
    Community Member
    Options

I believe I know what's happening.

I could find "Passwords" in my 1P app. It appears that there was a conflic with data saved for the item LOGINS and the item PASSWORDS. I could find DROPBOX in both of them. I don't know why, but they were there. I deleted the item in PASSWORDS and now it works.

Anything wrong I am doing or this is a bug?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glauco‌ You can either generate a password item manually from within 1Password's main application but you can also use the Password Generator from within the extension. If you use the Fill or Copy to Clipboard option (button to the right of the generated password) it will create a Password Item as a safety measure. I don't really use this option much myself but I believe it's meant to remove the password item if a login item is created in the same session (I need to play about and test that).

To better understand, if you can precisely describe the set of steps you're making somebody might have a suggestion. I'm also going to link you to the page regarding saving a login item and also manually saving a login. They might give you inspiration when comparing it against what you're currently doing.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glauco,

I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble that you're having with 1Password. I hope that the links that @littlebobbytables‌ provided help you out.

It does sound to me like you might not be updating your Logins in 1Password after changing your passwords - could this be the case? We also have a handy article about Changing a saved password. Please note that simply generating a password in 1Password doesn't update your Login entry automatically.

I hope this helps, but if I'm misunderstanding the situation, please let us know the exact steps that you're taking when saving a Login in 1Password and we'll be better able to re-create what you're seeing.

• glauco
    glauco
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! Thank you for your replies!

I still have the problem. It happened again some minutes ago. It always happens when I change the password (and I choose to UPDATE the password in 1P).

When I go to 1P and click to show web form details, I can see that the password saved there is not the same password show above in the fields username & password. After 25 minutes trying, I still cannot log in to one web site using the app.

Please, take a look at this picture. It's OK, I've already changed those passwords. Notice that we see different passwords after I updated the password. Is this normal? I believe that the conflict is there.

• glauco
    glauco
    Community Member
    Options

I've made one more test. I edited the item in my 1P (OS X). I deleted the PREVIOUS passwords. I could login using 1P.

So, it really seems that the app insists in using the OLD password after I update the password (I'm sure I choose to update it manually).

• glauco
    glauco
    Community Member
    Options

One more test. I changed my Facebook password. I am SURE I chose to update password manually. Then, I couldn't login to Facebook. 1P was using the old password.

• glauco
    glauco
    Community Member
    Options

I delete old passwords in the item "show web form details", then the login works. In "show web form details" I see new and old passwords. I believe that old passwords should appear only in "show previously used passwords".

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glauco,

Referring to your image in post #5, it looks like that Login item was created on a registration page for the site and incorrectly designated the main password field with the form[upwn1] web form field. Although not normal, something like this sometimes happens.

Before diving into your specific issues, here's some background information …

The username and password fields in the main item details correspond with the silhouettes in the web form details. For example, if you start with these main item details:

… and web form details:

… then change the password key silhouette in the web form details:

… the corresponding password field in the main item details will also be changed:

Inversely, changing the username and password fields in the main item details will change corresponding fields for the silhouettes selected in the web form details. So changing password:

… now changes confirmPassword in web form details:

That's the relationship between those two main and corresponding web form details fields.

In addition to the password changing/saving guides that @littlebobbytables and @Megan mentioned earlier, there's also one for recovering an unsaved password. It sounds like you're already aware of what that covers, though.

Now let's return to your issues. :)

When you updated the password for the item in your image, the form[upwn1] web form field was updated instead of the password field there. And presumably the latter was used (incorrectly) when filling later, causing the login failure.

Something similar might have also happened with your Facebook item creation, password update, and subsequent login failure.

Those cases are a possible explanation for this being successful:

I delete old passwords in the item "show web form details", then the login works.

Saving a new Login item without extra registration details (unnecessary for login) is one way of keeping them out of the web form details and take care of this (after deleting original items):

I believe that old passwords should appear only in "show previously used passwords".

At the moment older passwords can end up stuck in web form fields, requiring some type of manual intervention to be rid of them. Usually that's only a concern when they interfere with logins. Are there any other reason(s) why you'd rather them not be there?

I hope that's helpful. Please let us know if you're still having more issues with this or anything else. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.