Why is there a new update fee for the new version that you released within 90 days of the last?

Options
George Leger III
George Leger III
Community Member

Why is there a new update fee for the new version that you released within 90 days of the last version? 57 days ago I just paid the update fee, and now again. Seems that most companies have a 90 day window before they charge for an upgrade if you purchased the last one. Was my updater info incorrect?

George

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@George Leger III‌ Can you clarify where you're seeing this, it's been said in blogs that moving from 4 to 5 (both for OS X and iOS) will be free so you shouldn't be seeing anything suggesting an update fee.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @George Leger III

As @littlebobbytables‌ says, if you currently own 1Password 4, whether you purchased it recently or not, you should be able to get 1Password 5 for free when you update your operating system to OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). We certainly wouldn't make you pay twice in 90 days ... that's just cruel!

Please let me know where you're seeing this and we'll do what we can to get it sorted out.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The only way you would be charged a further fee is if you want to move from the web store version to the App Store version in order to use iCloud sync.

AgileBits got caught out by a change in Apple's rules. There are many disappointed, and even angry, customers because of this. I would trust AgileBits to solve this problem in due course, but it is only a day since Yosemite came out, and the complicated situation might well take them several weeks to sort out.

Unfortunately, they cannot give out coupons for free App Store versions (Apple only allow a very small number of coupons).

• Hi guys,

@danco does have a point. If you switch between stores, you will see a fee simply because our customer data are not shared between Apple and our web store, so there's no way from one store to know you already have a license from another store. Free upgrades are available for both stores but it only works in one way, as in MAS to MAS and website to website.

We are trying to figure out the best way to help some customers who need iCloud sync get the Mac App Store version for free if they already bought 1Password 5 from our website. For now, contact us at support+licenses@agilebits.com with your purchase information and we'll help you in any way we can.

• George Leger III
    George Leger III
    Community Member
    Options

It was when I clicked on the notice announcing it. I just got an email clarifying that this initial click through info was incorrect. I posted the forum notice right after I got the initial announcement and the only option then was info regarding purchase of a new V5 license.
    It all looks great now, thanks...

George

• Hi George,

I'm glad to hear this is now resolved! :)

Since it's resolved, I'll close this topic. Please feel free to create a new discussion if have any other questions. We're always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.