why does 1password have to connect to cloudfront? [For Rich icons for your items]

Options
nickholl
nickholl
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

Im just curious, why does 1password connect to server-54-240-166-30.lhr5.r.cloudfront.net when I launch the app?

I sync my data via dropbox so would preume that would be the only place it would need to look

thanks
N

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You are asking 1P, in preferences, to use rich icons. See, for a fuller, explanation, this post and this thread.

Stephen

• nickholl
    nickholl
    Community Member
    Options

oh ok. Would have thought it would have only done that the once and then cached it.
    thanks

• Hi @nichholl,

I'm glad Stephen's links helped explain what's going on.

oh ok. Would have thought it would have only done that the once and then cached it. thanks

Each time you save a new Login item or modify an item, it will check for an update on the icon. If there is an icon, it will cache it offline. If there is no icon or it can't reach our image service, it's going to try again later when it is less busy and/or an icon is found.

We also create our own icons manually every once in a while for the top missing icon requests on our image service.

In case you didn't see the other link, our help article explains all the outgoing connections we use: https://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/privacy.html#amazons-cloud-front-content-distribution-network

This discussion has been closed.