License and Unlock Issue

Options
drdklein
drdklein
Community Member

Good Evening!

I've been using 1Password since v3, and I want to thank you all for such a great app!

I've been reading the blog posts and forums, and may have missed the solution:

I recently purchased a new mac, and did a clean install. However, I can't seem to get it to recognize my old license key. Am I missing a step? I realize I won't be able to use iCloud sync ;)

Looking forward to figuring this out.

Thanks! drdklein

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drdklein‌

First of all - thanks so much for your kind words - you rock!

I'm sorry that you've been having trouble getting sorted out after upgrading to a new Mac. I took a quick look in our back office records, and I see a license for 1Password 3 attached to the email address that you used for your forum account. I've re-sent the details to that email address, in case you need them.

If you'd like to continue using 1Password 3 on your new Mac, you can download it from our website: legacy versions of 1Password 3.

If you're using Yosemite on your shiny new Mac however, you might want to consider upgrading to 1Password 5. Because you already own 1Password 3, you can get a great discount on your new license, just enter your license key on our upgrade page. Version 5 was designed to look and work great in Yosemite's slick new environment.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

ref: 599695

• drdklein
    drdklein
    Community Member
    Options

Thats what I thought! I was confused about what we were allowed to use as the upgrades moved forward. These days, it's easy to get iOS and Mac versions confused in all the transitions, too. Keep up the good work!

• drdklein
    drdklein
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, one last question: If you purchase through the Mac App store, can you still have your spouse use the same license?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @drdklein‌

Both the web store version and the MAS version can be used by multiple (up to six) people. The web store version is licensed for up to six family members in the same household and can be used on as many machines as those six people have. The MAS version can be, I believe but haven't explicitly tried, used by up to six people if you set up family sharing of your Apple accounts. When I last looked at 1Password on the Mac App Store it did have in it's details that Family Sharing was enabled. If both machines use the same Apple account then you wouldn't even need to do that - all purchases made under an Apple account are available to all machines using that account. So software purchased on MAS is available to both my MacBook Pro and my Mac Mini server.

A bit like you I upgraded from 1Password v3 and had the option of obtaining a discount if I purchased direct or guaranteed iCloud sync support if I went through the Mac App Store. I decided to opt for the MAS version just in case I ever decided I wanted to sync via iCloud. It's completely your choice of course.

This discussion has been closed.