1Password 3 upgrade to 1Password 5

Options
Paul Daunno
Paul Daunno
Community Member

I have a 1 Password 3 Family license now and have recently upgraded to Yosemite. I'd like to upgrade 1Password to version 5 and would like to know if I will still maintain the Family license by doing so.

Thanks!
-Paul

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Paul Daunno‌. AgileBits have actually simplified the licensing recently so you have nothing to worry about. So while the family licence is no more (don't worry! keep reading), the standard licence has been changed to bring it more in line with the licensing if you had purchased via the Mac App Store. A standard licence allows up to six family members in the same household to use 1Password on as many machines as you have between you. You can read more regarding this here.

So the real decision you have to make is, does iCloud sync matter to you? If it does then you'd want to purchase from the Mac App Store as CloudKit, Apple's new framework for sync is available only to applications purchased via their store. To share the purchase with your family though (assuming each has their own Apple ID) you would need to set up Family Sharing between your Apple IDs. At this point you become responsible for all purchases. Another point to note is iCloud sync only works between copies of 1Password 5 going forward due to the reliance on this new framework (which Apple has limited to Yosemite and iOS 8).

Now if Dropbox or WiFi syncing are fine for you then you can use your existing licence to upgrade to 1Password 5 from our store and receive a discount too.

If I haven't answered all your questions, or caused more with some of what I've written just post back here and somebody will respond :smile:

• Paul Daunno
    Paul Daunno
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks "littlebobbytables" for your help. I see that my upgrade price in your store is $24.99 and if I buy from Mac App Store it's $34.99. The obvious question I have is besides iCloud sync, is there any other value associated with the extra $10? I use an iMac and my wife uses a MB Air. Regardless of the upgrade path I take the new licensing takes care of our needs, correct?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

@Paul Daunno

Absolutely none is the short answer. Prior to 1Password 5 and Apple's decision to enforce the restriction of access to iCloud to MAS purchases only the two versions didn't differ. Apple enforcing the restriction is the first time the two versions have diverged which isn't what AgileBits ever wanted (see Dave's post about this).

The reality is Apple are very restrictive when it comes to the Mac App Store. There isn't a way to give existing users a discount if they want to move between major versions or a trial of the full version, both of which are options that AgileBits have by selling direct.

When it comes to sync services people can be set in their ways and want a particular sync. I'm no better, I want to keep all my data locally so I just use WiFi sync. Some people would only change to from Dropbox/iCloud over our dead bodies :stuck_out_tongue: So for those that only willing to use iCloud there is the MAS version. Don't get me wrong, MAS probably allows any company using it to reach a potentially larger audience, something any company can appreciate, it's just it wouldn't take much googling to see people believe it could be better.

If you go via AgileBits directly and make use of the discount you'll receive a licence file which will definitely cover your needs of two machines for two family members in the same household. The licence will cover that and more. If you go down the route of MAS then you have two options. You can either link your two Apple IDs using Family Sharing and share the purchase that way or if both machines only use a single Apple ID (despite the fact that it's two different users) then you're covered that way already.

I hope that helps.

• Paul Daunno
    Paul Daunno
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much. You've been very helpful.

• DanThePhotoMan
    DanThePhotoMan
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

This is great, I appreciate the info! I just posted a question on the 1Password 3 forum about upgrading. Will some from Agilebits answer it or should I post it over here as well? Thank you!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DanThePhotoMan‌ I've answered you in your thread :smile:

This discussion has been closed.