Safari Mac Extension will not load on Mac - but defaults to Safari on Windows

Options
iphone
iphone
Community Member

I've been trying all day to download and install 1Password extension for Mac. I go to your download site and 1Password-4.2.5-2.safariextz downloads to my Mac. When I click on it Parallels launches (Windows 8.1 Pro), Safari then appears for installation - on Windows. I'm running OS X 10.10 and 1Password version 5.0.2. I've deleted the previous1password extension on Mac Safari, but it still fails to load. FYI, this is the 1Password version from the App Store. I've been a long time user of 1Password and repurchased it from the App Store so that I can use iCloud.

I show 2 1Password app in my finder - 1Password5.app (55.5MB) and 1Password.app (50.4MB) with recent dates. My active 1Password app is 1Password5.app.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iphone‌

So there's a couple of items items in there that need addressing. We'll start with your extension query. Instead of double clicking on it, what happens if you right click on it and look in the Open With contextual submenu? For me it says Safari (default) but I'm thinking it might say something different for you as I'm wondering if Parallels has highjacked the extension believing it's doing you a favour. If I'm right you can either tell it to use your Mac copy of Safari as a one off or if you use the Get Info option you can select what program by default opens all items of this extension type.

Your second item is that it isn't recommended to keep two copies of 1Password in Yosemite. There's a bug and you aren't guaranteed to run the right one even if you're launching a specific one. The one you want to keep is 1Password.app the 5 in the name is what indicates it's the webstore version direct from AgileBits. Now both keep their information in different places so I'm going to link you to a guide that leads you through the steps of moving from the beta version to the Mac App Store. I know, it sounds odd but the beta version is like the webstore version and stores its files in the same place so its advice is still pertinent.

At the end you should have a single copy of 1Password.app and when you look in About 1Password it should say the Mac App Store.

This discussion has been closed.