1Password database conflicts and inconsistencies, possibly sync-related

Options
sjk
sjk
1Password Alumni
edited November 2014 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: Sync overwrites new passwords with old ones.

Comments

• teamnoir
    teamnoir
    Community Member
    Options

I've been using 1password for years, since it was the only game in town. I lose my database about every 5 - 6 months due to syncing issues and I have about 50% of my passwords in conflict at any one time due to syncing issues. Different ones, with different conflict resolutions on different machines.

I think this is normal operation.

• Hi @teamnoir,

Sync is a tough problem, but I'd consider losing consistency in your sync database every 5-6 months to be unacceptable. I would absolutely love to fix whatever issue is causing these kinds of problems. The best thing you could do to help us track it down is get us a Diagnostics Report on each machine involved in sync as soon as you see such a problem occur. As part of the Diagnostics Report, we get logs about the decisions syncs makes, and it could shed some light on what's going on.

Sending a diagnostics report is just a matter of following the instructions on this page. Doing it right after you notice the problem increases the chances of the interesting parts still being in the logs as the logs don't go back forever in time.

Thanks

Rick

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @teamnoir,

I've moved your comment and Rick's reply into this separate topic, in case you'd like to follow up more about specific issues you're having. Sending us Diagnostics Reports and troubleshooting this further through email would be the best course of action, as Rick mentioned, if they do occur again. Thanks!

• teamnoir
    teamnoir
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion Yes, that's kind of the problem here.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to wait a week screwing around with posting to discussion forums in hopes that someone in your front line support will notice and summon an engineer, and that we'll eventually get around to debugging. I need all of my machines, with passwords, every hour of every day. I can't take that much time off of work. That should be the job of agilebits.

I know that sync is a tricky problem. It really needs to be solved at the design phase and verified at testing. If you get a product into the field that can't sync, you're kinda hosed forever. I mean, I get that minor problems creep up now and then, but this is seeming like an endemic, chronic issue that would seem to be based on something other than a minor problem.

FTR, I'm the last of my friends still using 1password. The others have all switched because of the reliability issues. Access to our passwords is just too much of an urgent/critical service to lose data or accept this sort of down time. Me, I've been reluctant to put in the time to switch, thinking that each instance of data loss and password recovery will be less work than researching alternatives, climbing the learning curve, and converting.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @teamnoir,

Since we're dealing with this same issue in another thread, I'm going to close this thread, just so that we can keep the discussion going in one place.

This ensures that we don't duplicate efforts or cause any confusion and allow us to help you more efficiently.

This discussion has been closed.