1Password mini's window shows up in another user's window!

Options
MartyS
MartyS
Community Member

Being the nice guy I am, I was asked to provide 1Password tech support to my wife. Her issue was that she was clicking on the 1Password extension's icon in the Safari toolbar and "nothing was happening." Perplexed by that, I asked a few clarifying questions and we got nowhere toward her seeing mini's window appear.

On a hunch, I told her that I was logged into my account on her system via screen sharing and that I'd take a look to see if 1Password worked for me. When I reconnected to her system there was mini… already loaded front and center. I could unlock my vault from there, and when she again clicked on the toolbar icon up comes mini on my screen again. I have no idea what data (if any) would have been transmitted from my user account's vault to her Safari session if I had selected an item—it probably would have worked (if we call that "working"). I logged out of my account and it took a minute, but she was then able to summon mini for her own use.

In case it matters, I had earlier in the day manually upgraded the 1Password application from within my own account on her system. I didn't even think about needing to perhaps get into her account as well and relaunch her copy of mini. But despite that, I'm certainly surprised at the resulting behavior.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

@MartyS‌ As 1Password mini is always running it probably is best to ensure there is no instance running when you update 1Password. OS X is quite good about keep links to file etc. if you move them while they're in use. 1Password mini is a known issue if you're trying to delete/replace one copy with another so the best way to handle it is to ensure both aren't running (⌃⌘Q will do the trick).

Thankfully you got it running again pretty swiftly.

ref: OPM-1772

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I know what I should have done—I just was in a hurry and didn't follow through.

Hopefully the fact that one user account's actions caused something to appear / interfere with another user account on the same system will be looked into. That's a pretty interesting issue to me. I recall issues being reported before in the context of Fast User Switching with vault locking and such but this situation wasn't the same since two user accounts were active at the same time.

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

@littlebobbytables‌ (or anyone),

1Password mini is a known issue if you're trying to delete/replace one copy with another so the best way to handle it is to ensure both aren't running (⌃⌘Q will do the trick).

So when 1Password prompts us that an update (eg: 1Password 4 to 1Password 4.1 or however the numbering works) is available are we supposed to quit by pressing CONTROL, COMMAND, Q before the update? However, wouldn't that prevent from updating since it'll quit 1Password and 1Password mini and thus the update window prompt? Or are you referring to upgrading (eg: 1Password 4 to 1Password 5)?

Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ScarySulley‌

My understanding is this issue will arise in two particular instances, if more than one person is currently logged in and running 1Password mini or if you try to manually update by dragging the old copy to Trash and downloading a fresh copy. Updating 1Password via the automated route for a single logged in user is fine.

I hope that explains it clearly enough but if it doesn't please let me know.

This discussion has been closed.