1Password cannot connect to 1Password mini

Options
Michael Foster
Michael Foster
Community Member
edited December 2014 in Mac

My 1 password is not working and it told me to contact support, but I can't find an email to contact you. The only email I found on the site did not work. What's up with that? Please send me an email link so I can hopefully get the ap up and running again.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

At the moment, because of the volume of support requests following the release of 1P5, you'll get a much quicker response by posting here. Please tell us:

1. your OS X version number;
    2. your 1P version number;
    3. exactly what the problem is (i.e., what you mean when you say 1P is "not working").

Stephen

• Michael Foster
    Michael Foster
    Community Member
    Options

I am using OS 10.9.5 and have version 4.4.3 of 1P. The mini program with the icon on the apple toolbar is not working. If I try to open the 1P program I get an error message saying that the mini program is not working, and to restart the program. That didn't work and neither did rebooting. Seems I may have just OK'd an update to 1P, but I'm not sure. Maybe hat was the issue

• Hi @Michael Foster‌,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having these issues. We can help you with this. Can you get us the exact message you're getting from the app? Did it tell you that it crashed? If it crashed and presented you with a Crash Reporter window, did you submit the crash? If so we can try to find the crash and determine what caused it.

Can you describe exactly what you're seeing? When you reboot and login, is the key icon in your system menu bar? When you click it does anything come up? The more descriptive you are, the easier it is for us to determine what's going on.

Thanks

Rick

• Michael Foster
    Michael Foster
    Community Member
    Options

The key icon is not appearing in the menu bar. The exact message is "1P failed to connect to 1P mini. Please restart 1P. If this does not help, please contact AgileBits support"

Restarting 1P and rebooting did not help

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Michael Foster

Can you try the following for me please.

• Ensure neither 1Password or 1Password mini are running. Given the issue please do know I'm not trying to be funny when I say that. You can use Activity Monitor (it's in /Applications/Utilities/) to check and see if any processes titled 1Password are running.
    • Drag your copy of 1Password from the /Applications/folder to your Trash.
    • Reboot your Mac - this is important.
    • Download a fresh copy from wherever you originally purchased it i.e. either Apple's MAS or direct from us and drag to your /Applications/folder

Does a fresh copy of 1Password make any difference?

If it doesn't then please launch it a couple of times, make sure the error message has happened a couple of times and thus fresh in the logs and then.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Michael Foster
    Michael Foster
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I checked and 1 password was not running. I've rebooted, but cannot find a receipt from where I bought the ap. I think it was from you because my apple ap store account shows my purchases there and it is not on the list. Can I just download it. If it requires a account code, I'm afraid I won't have it. Maybe I can drag the application out of the trash and find that number somehow??

• Hi @Michael Foster‌,

If you didn't empty your trash, you could drag the app out of the trash, or if you're confident that you got the website version of the app and not the app store version (it not being in your Purchased list seems to indicate that way)... you can download it from the bottom of your Downloads page, under Legacy. You'll want to make sure to grab version 4.4.3.

Like @littlebobbytables‌ mentioned, if it doesn't work with a new download, the Diagnostics Report will likely give us some indication as to why that would be.

Rick

• Michael Foster
    Michael Foster
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I had a major crash of 1 password and wound up having to download the application and re-install it to get it running again. See my previous thread on the problem here https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/32845/1password-cannot-connect-to-1password-mini/p1

I downloaded version 5 before I realized that I could download a previous version and have it work with the OS I had then, 10.9. Well I got the message that I needed 10.10 for version 5, so I installed that. So now I believe that I actually have to run 1password version 5 and not the 4. version. Problem is that I don't seem to have a record of my previous version transaction. I did drag the version 4. out of the trash, but it won't open because I have OS10.10 and I get a long error message some of which says this version of 1P wont work with my current system. So am I pretty much forced into paying the full price for the application rather than the upgrade to get it to keep working for me?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Michael Foster‌ I have taken the liberty of correcting the link in your post to point to the previous thread (previously it pointed only to this forum in general).

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Michael Foster‌,

I merged your message with your previous discussion, since it all seems to be related, and it will be easier to keep track of everything this way.

If your Mac is running OS 10.10 now, you will definitely want to use 1Password 5. If you previously purchased 1Password 4 for Mac, version 5 is a free upgrade. Does version 5 work on your Mac, or are you having problems using it?

If I understand your latest message, it sounds like maybe the problem is that 1Password is asking you for your license? If so, it sounds like you downloaded it from our website. The website version requires a license file, which we should have a record of if you purchased your license from our web store. On the other hand, if you originally purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, you will need to reinstall it from there, and won't need to worry about a license file.

To make sure we're heading in the right direction here, can you please confirm a few things:

• Does 1Password 5 work on your Mac, aside from any license-related issues?
    • If it works, does it give you a message about a license? (If so, what exactly do you see?)
    • Did you originally purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store, or from our web store?

Thanks!

• Michael Foster
    Michael Foster
    Community Member
    Options

Yes 1Password5 is working just fine. I did download it from the website. Before I downloaded it I had checked the Mac App store where I can see everything I have purchased there and 1Password4 is not on the list. So I am pretty sure that I originally downloaded it from your website. I don't have an email with the license # and I can't launch the old 1Password 4 now to retrieve the number from it. What got me started down this road is that the 1Password 4 quit working on my and I trashed it and downloaded the 1Password5 by mistake. That required OS 10.10, so I thought it was a good time to do that and went ahead. Hopefully you will have a record of my purchase. I have no problem paying for the upgrade to 5. I have 19 days left on the trial download of 1Password5

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Michael Foster

I couldn't find a licence connected to the email address you use here in the forums but obviously that doesn't mean much. If you know what email address you would have used and still have access to the account then if you visit https://agilebits.com/licenses/resend you can get all of your licences resent to you.

If you're unsure, then to further assist can you do the following for us please. Can you email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com with as much detail regarding your original purchase as you can at the very least:

• Full name as you would have used at the time of purchase.
    • A list of all email addresses so we can check them all

Hopefully then we can locate your purchase and assist. If you do email us can you also post the ticket ID here in this thread so we can link the two. If you have any questions do please ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.