Importing CSV file with all columns

I have been using EssentialPIM and would like to start using iPassword.
My problem is having saved the passwords as a CSV file, when I import the file it gives me the option to include several columns, password, title, username etc, but not the 15 or so other columns I have. This results in not all the information being imported.

Is there a way to add more columns. To do it all individually after import is going to be a real pain and not worth the time.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

There's not, @emb‌, and EssentialPIM is not one of the utilities for which our awesome forum member @MrC has created a CSV-to-1PIF converter, either.

I'm sorry not to have a more satisfying answer for you.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @emb,

The 1Password for Windows importer only handles a few columns from the CSV.

One method could be to merge the extra column cells into the Notes cell. Of course, you may have some difficulty distinguishing the data after import.

Can you tell me more about those extra columns? Are these well-defined and consistent, or are they additional custom fields (that may vary across records) that you added? If they are consistent, are the column titles stored in the first row (or otherwise available)? Depending upon your answers, I might be able to help here.

• emb
    emb
    Community Member

They are additional custom fields that vary across records which I have added.
    Such a shame that iPassword does not allow more columns on import. Really like the product, but do not have the time to individually import all the passwords

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I said I would help you get the data fully imported. Does EssentialPim export the names of those custom columns?

• emb
    emb
    Community Member

Thanks for the help. Yes it does export the names of the columns..

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Ok, I'll take a look at the format, and will get back to you. I have to install it, create some sample data, and create an export. Hold tight...

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thank you, @MrC!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2015

@DBrown,

Your timing was amazing. I had just double-clicked the link to reply in this thread, and the email notification of your reply appeared in my inbox as i was clicking!

Anyway... The CSV conversion is easy. However, there's an issue which @emb will have to handle...

EssentialPIM does not properly quote its column header names, so this creates an ambiguous situation. Here is one such header row:

Title,User Name,Password,URL,Notes,Cust Field 1,Cust Field, 3,Cust Field 2,

The custom field names are:

"Cust Field 1"
    "Cust Field, 3"
    "Cust Field 2"

Because there is no quoting to protect the comma in the column name, it could be interpreted as:

"Cust Field 1"
    "Cust Field"
    " 3,Cust Field 2"

This means that before exporting, @emb you will have to review your column names (which are global for all password entries, fortunately) and replace any commas in the names with some other character.

Second potential issue - if you customized any of the standard field names of "Title", "User Name", "Password", "URL, and "Notes", you'll either need to change those names in EssentialPIM, or configure the converter with your desired names. This is required so that the converter knows the meaning of each column and it will match columns against a table of names and definitions.

Before I finish up the converter, are you prepared to a) make the above changes, and b) actually use it (and 1Password of course).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

If it's a comma-delimited file, then this:

Cust Field 1,Cust Field, 3,Cust Field 2,

...would be interpreted as four fields, named Cust Field 1, Cust Field, 3, and Cust Field 2. :/

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Yeah, well, there's that one too!

I do have some context, in that subsequent rows are CSV quoted (and that tells me how many columns are to be expected, so I could reject the possibility from your example). However, the ambiguity shown in our either of our examples should make it clear that it isn't possible to define a reliable column name detection scheme. The names could just as easily be:

"Cust Field 1,Cust Field"
    " 3"
    "Cust Field 2"

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. I do wonder, though, why so few companies seem capable of producing such a simple format. :/

• emb
    emb
    Community Member

Before I finish up the converter, are you prepared to a) make the above changes, and b) actually use it (and 1Password of course).

Yes I will. Really like the UI and system, so if I can figure out what you require me to do I will purchase ipassword. Thanks again.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

That's an easy one... the return on investment is $0, so it results in a net loss.

Conceptually the format is very simple. The devil is in the details (esp. when writing a robust encoder / decoder), and my experience has shown that many developers often code before they think (or review specs), and don't realize their code cannot be easily adapted to the actual requirements.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@emb,

Yes I will. Really like the UI and system, so if I can figure out what you require me to do I will purchase ipassword. Thanks again.

Great. You can start by going through each of your field names in one of your password records inside EssentialPIM. Replace any commas with some other character. Editing the field names inside a single record seems to globally change the field names. We'll leave the actual field names requirements for when I provide you with the converter.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

...my experience has shown that many developers often code before they think (or review specs), and don't realize their code cannot be easily adapted to the actual requirements.

Surely not. ;)

• emb
    emb
    Community Member

Great. You can start by going through each of your field names in one of your password records inside EssentialPIM. Replace any commas with some other character.

Done

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2015

Ok, great. I have your converter done, and am just doing a little cleanup.

$ perl convert_to_1p4.pl essentialpim  -v ~/Desktop/pm_export.txt
    Imported 4 cards
    Exported 1 note item
    Exported 3 login items
    Exported 4 total items

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Remarkable, @MrC. Thank you!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2015

I've posted the converter in the _testing folder - see MrC's Convert to 1Password Utility for instructions. Be sure to grab the version in the _testing folder (it is version 1.03).

Example usage:

perl convert_to_1p4.pl essentialpim  -v ~/Desktop/pm_export.txt

Follow-up here if you have issues or questions, or at my email at the top of the script.

• emb
    emb
    Community Member

Follow-up here if you have issues or questions, or at my email at the top of the script.

Will post here when I have imported the passwords.

• emb
    emb
    Community Member

Windows 8.1. Having problems adding modules in Strawberry Perl

cpan Text::CSV OK, cpan XML::XPath OK, cpan Date::Calc FAILED. See image. Any thoughts?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

On post #1 of the link above, see note:

NOTE Windows users: please replace the...

• emb
    emb
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Still get an error typing cpan -fT Date::Calc. However am now able to run "perl convert_to_1p4.pl essentialpim -v ..\pm_export.txt" but no info is exported (see images...

One thing as well that I may be doing wrong. It states to export a " pm_export.txt" from essentialpim but it only exports a csv file. Do I simply change the CSV to TXT or have I missed a step.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Still get an error typing cpan -fT Date::Calc. However am now able to run "perl convert_to_1p4.pl essentialpim -v ..\pm_export.txt" but no info is exported (see images...

The error message is should be just a warning that the tests were not run. The second to the last line should have ended with "OK".... and it did.

One thing as well that I may be doing wrong. It states to export a " pm_export.txt" from essentialpim but it only exports a csv file. Do I simply change the CSV to TXT or have I missed a step.

You only care about the name of the file - it doesn't matter what it is named, or what the suffix is. Just be sure to use whatever name the export is saved as. I found I was able to save the CSV export with the name "pm_export.txt", and it looks like you have too.

I've uploaded an updated 1.03 version to the _testing folder. I tested the run on OS X, and didn't test on Windows. The update corrects the problem you are seeing above with 0 imports.

• emb
    emb
    Community Member

Many thanks.

Everything converted. The only thing I have noticed is, on the rare occasions I have used a letter such as ó it converts to ó. But that is a minor thing.

Thanks again...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Great!

However, the decoding of those characters is incorrect. I'm looking at fixing the issue now...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2015

OK, the encoding problem is a 1Password for Windows problem. I'll report the issue (an issue about encoding was fixed recently, but it does not appear to be correct).

Edit: I've reported the problem, and you'll have to await an updated 1Password for Windows if you want the encoding to be corrected upon import of the 1PIF.

• emb
    emb
    Community Member

OK, the encoding problem is a 1Password for Windows problem.

Thanks for the update.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thank you, @MrC!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@emb,

Version 4.1.0.BETA-539 of 1Password for Windows resolves the encoding problem. In Preferences > Updates, enable Betas.

This discussion has been closed.