Not working with OSX after upgrade - will passwords remain with a new license?

Options
phred11
phred11
Community Member

1password5 will not open at all since upgrading the app. I have now upgraded to latest 10.10.2 OSX, and also freshly downloaded 1password5.2 -which also will not open, with again only a popup error message "1Password will not open because of a problem. Check with the developer to see if compatible with version of OSX etc..." -Can you please assist asap, all my logins are in one place here. My license was one of 5 from a group license purchased using an email that's no longer active, from a group that no longer works together. Can resend license to you. If I must buy again, fine, but will I lose all of my currently saved passwords and have to start again?? Pls tell me no.... I've been with you from day one. thx

Comments

• Hi @phred11,

I'm really sorry to hear that this is happening to you. The good news is that there's no reason to believe your data isn't safe. Let's focus on getting the app running again.

Would it at all be possible for you to get a screenshot of the error dialog you're getting when trying to start 1Password?

I assume you mean 1Password 5.1 from our website? Since we haven't released 1Password 5.2 for Mac yet.

Could you follow these steps, even if it's something you've possibly tried before:

• Find the 1Password 5.app as well as any 1Password 4.app you many have in your /Applications, and drag them to the trash. Do not use any type of App Uninstallers/Cleaners. Do it manually by simply dragging them to the trash.
    • Empty the trash
    • Reboot your Mac. This step should not be skipped. It feels like a placebo, but it isn't, there's a little system database that gets reconstructed on reboot, doing so after trashing the old and downloading the new ensures that the database will be as it should be.
    • Download 1Password 5.1 from our website. Drag it into /Applications.
    • Try running 1Password 5.

We'll investigate further if this doesn't work. An exact error message or screenshot of the window that you're getting would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

• phred11
    phred11
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much for getting back to me Rick. Attached screenshot.
    I have versions 3.8.2, 4.0.5, and 5.1 (typo 5.2, pardon). So I can delete all versions of the apps, and my data remains?? Yikes, ok.

• phred11
    phred11
    Community Member
    Options

If you want also the detailed report information, please let me know.

• phred11
    phred11
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion, thanks very much Rick, that did the trick, all seems back to normal. Quick one, do I also need to purchase an addiitonal license to transfer usability to iPhone? Appreciate your quick support, cool of you guys.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @phred11,

That's great to hear that @rickfillion got you all sorted out regarding the error message. It's one of the nice aspects of a Mac. Is the program not running properly? simply delete the application bundle and see if a fresh download works. Need to uninstall an application, do the exact same thing? I do prefer this way :)

Now regarding 1Password for iOS. Our licences are per platform so a licence for 1Password for Mac doesn't cover your iOS devices. Now with 1Password 5 we're experimenting with the freemium model. You can download the basic version, see what you think. If it satisfies your usage you don't actually have to make the in-app purchase for the Pro features. If you like the app though and want the additional features a one-off in-app purchase will cover you for all minor updates to 1Password 5, maybe beyond but I simply do not know. The in-app purchase will cover as many iOS devices as you have attached to that Apple ID but just to let you know that if you use Apple's Family Sharing with family members that the one thing that isn't shared are in-app purchases. We had kind of hoped they would but we found out far too late that they don't. Hopefully the ability to run the basic version for free makes up for that.

If you have any more questions do please ask.

This discussion has been closed.