Future releases

Options
libor
libor
Community Member

Hi, will the future MAS releases of 1Password be for free? I mean if you release 1Password version 6 or 7... will I have to pay for it again? Will it be only an update of the current app or a new (separate) app in the Mac App Store.

I am considering buying 1Password via MAS and I know, that you offer some discount on a new version (through your online store) when I own an older version. I don't want to buy a new application every time you release a new version and I want to be sure, that I'll make the right choice.

Many thanks.

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Basically, you can't be sure what will happen, as AgileBits do not disclose this info in advance, and almost certainly have not decided.

Some major upgrades have been free (4 to 5), some paid (3 to 4).

Unfortunately, Apple don't currently allow developers to make an upgrade price. That's one advantage of buying from Agile's web store, as it's under their control they can price it as they wish.

The only advantage of the App Store version is iCloud sync. If you are happy with Dropbox sync (as many people are, including Agile staff), buy direct from Agile.

• Hi @libor,

@danco is correct with his answer here and there isn't much more that I can add. We don't disclose that information in advance, and truthfully I (as a developer) don't know what the plan is going forward yet. We try to strike a balance with the free updates vs paid upgrades. I think we've done a good job so far.

If/when we do a paid upgrade, we'll definitely try to keep the MAS users in mind. It wouldn't really be fair to do upgrade pricing to the webstore license owners without doing something for MAS users. How exactly that'd work, we'll have to wait and see what Apple makes available to us to help with that (currently options are limited but there are options).

Rick

• libor
    libor
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your replies guys. I do not want to get into a situation where I would have to pay twice for the same application. That happend when I bought Reeder (a very popular RSS reader). When its developer introduced Reeder 2 it wasn't just an upgrade, but an entirely new application and I had to pay for it the full price again.

I love 1Password, but I also like Mac App Store, because the option to have all my apps centralized and updated in one place is simply great.

I have been using 1Password v3 for a long time. I want to buy the newest version for OS X Yosemite so I am thinking which one to choose.

Thank you again.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Remember that, as long as your current version of 1PW works with your OS, you don't have to pay any more. The only times you need to pay again are when you want new features that are in a new version, or when you change to a new OS (either because you want to, or because a new computer does not run the old OS) and the old version of 1PW is not compatible with the new OS.

• That's understandable. I can't rule out the "entirely new application" approach, as I just don't know the future. The only feature the MAS app has that the webstore version does not is iCloud sync. If you don't think you'll use iCloud sync, then I think going webstore is the way to go.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.