Have I been hacked? How can I check???

Options
sennaho
sennaho
Community Member

I foolishly answered a Phishing mail today (pretending to be from Google Drive) I clicked on it andcame to a Google Drive Website. There a note suddenly popped up that aksed me to write my password for something called 1P Mini and I did!! So stupid! I already erased the extensions in my browsers and chnaged the Master Password, but is there any way to

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@sennaho I have deleted your five other very similar messages to keep all discussions in one place.

I think we need some more information please, particularly as your post seems to be incomplete. (I'm sorry if I deleted a complete version: there were so many versions!)

Please tell us:

1. What version of 1P for Mac you are running.
    2. Whether you have a Google Drive login saved in 1P (we don't want the details—merely confirmation you have those login details saved in 1P).

At the moment I'm thinking all that happened (ignoring the phishing for the moment) is that you went to Google Drive and had to input your master password to open 1P. If so, can't see how that would have prejudiced any of your data.

If you think the Google Drive website wasn't in fact genuine all you need to do is to change your Google Drive login details.

Stephen

• sennaho
    sennaho
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Steven, thank you so much for your swift reply. (Sorry about the similar messages, this is the first time that I write into a forum and I wasn´t sure that my message had been posted). I am using 1P version 5.3.1. I don´t normally use Google Drive, I access my Google Docs through Google (and yes, I have my Google Password in 1P and I changed it now) it was only because of this fake mail that I went there.

Is there any way to check wether harm has been caused? What are precautionairy measures? I did a back up and I exported my data as a text version but I find to read it that. Is there a way to get a print out that is easier to read?

• Hi @sennaho,

I think @stephen_c is right. It's going to be hard for us to answer this with 100% certainty without having witnessed this first hand. I'd recommend changing your Google Drive password as well as your Master Password which you've already done.

It's unfortunately impossible to check after the fact to know exactly what information they may have gotten. The good news is that a website doesn't have access to much of anything. It only could have gotten what data you manually provided it. That's why I'm recommending changing your Master Password and the Google Drive passwords as those are the passwords that it sounds like you may have provided it.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@sennaho:

I did a back up and I exported my data as a text version

Please note an exported text file is a very insecure way to have your 1P data lying around. I strongly recommend that you securely delete that file as soon as possible.

I think if you've changed your master password and Google Drive password the very best place to keep your data safe is inside 1P.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sennaho,

I hope this information from Rick and Stephen was helpful for you! It sounds like you've changed your Master Password and your Google Drive login password, so hopefully you're all set now. But if you have any other questions or need anything else, please do let us know - we're here for you! :)

• sennaho
    sennaho
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for all your advice. That was a great relief and really helped me :-)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sennaho,

I don't know how comfortable you are with 1Password for Mac but here's a screenshot of 1Password mini when it is locked.

Besides when you open the main application, this is one of the few other times you'd ever be requested for your Master Password and this is the only way when you're interacting with 1Password mini via a browser. If it didn't look like that then something doesn't sound right.

Of course you've already taken defensive measures on the assumption that whatever was going on was less than desired so nothing here alters what you've already done. As you've altered the two important passwords you can hopefully rest a little easier.

This discussion has been closed.