OneDrive sync support for 1Password [feature request]

Options
igi84
igi84
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Any update on when One Drive will work with 1Password? I currently have Dropbox installed for only one reason to sync 1Passowrd. I use One Drive for everything else.
I just want to be able to have all my files in one place.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS8
Sync Type: One Drive

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@igi84 What other computers and devices are you syncing with? In theory, you can use OneDrive to sync your Windows PCs and Mac (the latter requires that you configure this thing called Folder Sync). Then you can use Wi-Fi Sync for your mobile devices.

• Cyberspace
    Cyberspace
    Community Member
    Options

+1

In need/request this feature, too.

I have two Windows, 1x MBPro, and three iOS devices. The only reason why i am using Dropbox is 1Password. All other data is in OneDrive.
    I know that i can use Folder Sync with OneDrive to sync Windows and Mac. But the WiFi Option does need more work and is not so simple as the current Cloud sync because of you have to sync it manually. So if you forget to sync the vault before you leaving your home you will have a problem.

So why it is not possible to provide an OneDrive sync with 1Password for iOS? OneDrive Provides an API like Dropbox. So it should no problem to integrate OneDrive as a sync option to 1Password for iOS. In addition OneDrive is getting more and more popular because of the free 1TB storage if you have an Office365 subscription.

• We hear you.

Adding more sync solutions for cross-platform syncing is on our list of things to do.
    There are issues with this as each syncing solution handles syncing differently and has different conflict resolution features.
    Because of this, any kind of new syncing service has to be closely examined and tested vigorously to ensure our users' data is kept safe and intact.

As much as we'd like to say, "Yup, two more months", we don't pre-announce new features. I hope you can understand.

If you want to get rid of Dropbox, then OneDrive + Wi-Fi sync is the best solution for the moment.

Cheers

• drewhammond
    drewhammond
    Community Member
    Options

We are looking at 1password for our company of 75 employees. Since we're a 100% Microsoft environment, this feature is a deal breaker for us.

I use 1password on my mac and love it. We have HIPAA requirements that wont allow us to use dropbox so without onedrive sync we can't move forward at work.

Do you have an ETA on this? We're pulling the trigger on a password management solution within the next month.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do you have an ETA on this?

@drewhammond: We don't have immediate plans (i.e. within the next 30 days) to add OneDrive support. As stated previously, this is under consideration for a future version, but we don't have anything to announce right now. Thanks for your interest in 1Password! But of course if OneDrive is critical for you, it isn't a feature we claim.

• davidcrickett
    davidcrickett
    Community Member
    Options

It would also be nice, if you extended the iCloud sync to Windows, as iCloud has a Windows version, too. And yes, OneDrive also, should be obvious. I really don't like DropBox.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I wouldn't know what to expect of OneDrive support in the next version of 1Password for Windows. So far, it has been such that 1Password in other platforms supports only the current (e.g. 1Password 6 for iOS for iOS 9) or the current and a prior OS (e.g. 1Password 5 for El Capitan and Yosemite).

I hope that Agilebits can find a way to add OneDrive support to Windows 7 and 1Password 5 for Windows. Which would make 3 Windows Oses (Windows 7, 8 and 10).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It would also be nice, if you extended the iCloud sync to Windows, as iCloud has a Windows version, too. And yes, OneDrive also, should be obvious. I really don't like DropBox.

@davidcrickett: With CloudKitJS being tested to support other platforms, this is something we're exploring.

I wouldn't know what to expect of OneDrive support in the next version of 1Password for Windows. So far, it has been such that 1Password in other platforms supports only the current (e.g. 1Password 6 for iOS for iOS 9) or the current and a prior OS (e.g. 1Password 5 for El Capitan and Yosemite).
    I hope that Agilebits can find a way to add OneDrive support to Windows 7 and 1Password 5 for Windows. Which would make 3 Windows Oses (Windows 7, 8 and 10).

@wkleem: It's far too early to offer anything definitive. However it may be that having 1Password for Windows Modern (currently in alpha) supporting only, well...the modern Windows, the current 1Password for Windows (desktop) app may continue to offer better opportunities for backward compatibility. For example, while not officially supported (by AgileBits or Microsoft), version 4 still works just fine on XP. ;)

• Spidla
    Spidla
    Community Member
    Options

+1 For synchronization support through OneDrive.
    Support for this service is a logical alternative (iCloud = Apple products, OneDrive = Microsoft products).

• @Spidia - thanks for your vote :)

• Spiny
    Spiny
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for OneDrive.

This will sync between windows machines anyhow. To get sync to mobile, use wifi sync as above, or on Android you can use the app "FolderSync" to sync the folder from OneDrive to the Android file system, then open the folder from there.

• Thanks for the details on FolderSync to help out others here.

• edgrsanchez
    edgrsanchez
    Community Member
    Options

+2 for OneDrive

Me and my partner just switched to 1Password from Dashlane.

We absolutely love 1Password aside from a few thing, the limited syncing being one of them. That's in comparison to Dashlane that actually hosted the passwords on their end (for a yearly fee).

iCloud syncing works beautifully, and we're a 75% Apple household (3 Macs, 2 iPhones, 1 iPad). We do have a Surface, a Windows Server, work laptops, as well as virtual PCs running on the Macs. So it's a bit of a hassle to keep it all in sync.

We use OneDrive for absolutely everything.

Please add OneDrive support soon.

You guys rock!

• slice313
    slice313
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to see Onedrive supported as well. Right now I am using Onedrive for Mac+Win and wifi-sync for my phone which sucks, since I have to sync manually every time to time.

• Thanks for sharing your experiences, I've added them to our system to try to get the support out sooner.

• Ropuh
    Ropuh
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Onedrive sync support

• Thanks for your vote!

• banrobert
    banrobert
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for OneDrive sync

I'm trying to move away from Dropbox and use OneDrive for everything, and 1Password is one of the last apps that keep me with the former one. Syncing automatically between an iPhone, iPad and a 2 Windows computers now seems to be only possible with DropBox, as the iCloud sync is based on CloudKit, and who knows when, if ever, will that come to Windows. WIFI sync is too cumbersome unfortunatelly, so it would be great to be able to use OneDrive instead of, or aside Dropbox for automatic syncing.

• Thanks, we appreciate the details!

• hayslj
    hayslj
    Community Member
    Options

+1
    Absolutely critical nowadays for those who use 1pw at both home and work. Most employers predominantly use Windows still. Sorry, it's just a fact.

I think if you do add it, it would need to be accessible via the share function on onedrive (share link by email)

Best

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know your preference, @hayslj!

• letoir
    letoir
    Community Member
    Options

I only made an account so I could vote for this.
    Me and my partner also switched to 1Pass.
    So here is a +2 from us.
    I think you can also add all the votes of the people from here: https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/9790920-save-1password-data-in-onedrive

@1Password Please support us this feature very fast this, we really need this.
    Whats the main reason that this isn't been implemented till now ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@letoir: We're a small team, so we have to make some tough decisions when it comes to our limited resources. Additionally, with something like a new sync option in 1Password, it probably wouldn't help you much if we added it only on one or two platforms. So if and when we add OneDrive (or other sync services), each will take a concerted effort across all platforms, (and of course roughly four times the work of development and testing) before it sees the light of day. It's definitely something we continue to consider, but it won't happen overnight. Thanks for letting us know this feature would be important to you! :)

• SpiresAwake
    SpiresAwake
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1 for OneDrive sync.

• Thanks for the vote, I've added it to our system.

• Roadrunner
    Roadrunner
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1 for one drive - Drop Box is only left on my systems to sync one password. No other reason

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your interest! As mentioned earlier, you can actually use OneDrive with the 1Password for Windows desktop app already. That same setup simply isn't possible currently on mobile devices since it would have to be built into the apps themselves (rather than the OS). Hopefully we'll be able to expand 1Password's sync options in the future! :)

• Roadrunner
    Roadrunner
    Community Member
    Options

One of the reasons I am using 1password is because it can be used cross platform. Most people use 1 or 2 computers together with a smartphone and/or tablet. Building it into the apps and therefore ensuring interoperability between these devices is crucial to claim support for onedrive from my perspective.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Roadrunner: I agree completely! We don't claim that we support OneDrive (thus, the feature request), but that doesn't mean it isn't an option for folks syncing only between computers. I don't think there's anything wrong with letting people know that this possibility exists. :pirate:

• stheo
    stheo
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Another vote for Onedrive sync. I specifically have a need for this feature in the iOS client.

This discussion has been closed.