Comments

• LauraR
    Options

Thanks @stheo - we'll add your vote!

• blt7878
    blt7878
    Community Member
    Options

+5 for Onedrive, we are a team of 5, switching from Dropbox to Onedrive.
    The "folder sync" trick will not do.

• MikeT
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @bit7878,

Thanks for the votes.

I assume you have mobile iOS devices in the mix, thus the comment about Folder Sync?

• paul1923
    paul1923
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Onedrive support.
    Otherwise I need to look elsewhere for a password tool.

• Thank you for your vote. I've added it to the feature request.

• rkeveratt
    rkeveratt
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Onedrive support

Only reason I have dropbox installed is for 1Password would like to use a single cloud storage solution.

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks for the vote. We're making some progress and will release more details very soon.

• NV676
    NV676
    Community Member
    Options

I vote for Onedrive sync.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! I hope we'll have more to share in the future. :)

• Quark987
    Quark987
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I'd also really much like to see onedrive sync... i also only have dropbox for this specific purpose. thanks

(perhaps i should mention that i have both Windows 10 (phone/PC) and ios devices in the mix)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for not only letting us know you'd like OneDrive support, but also the platforms you're using. Hopefully we'll be able to grant your wish in time! :)

• Tom_C
    Tom_C
    Community Member
    Options

Our institution is moving to Office 365 for email/calendaring/collaboration so put me down as another who would like to see OneDrive (For Business) sync support added.

I primarily use 1password with 2x Macs, 2x iOS devices (iphone 6, ipad mini 4 both on iOS 9) but I occasionally use windows and android devices that have it installed as well.

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks for letting us know.

1Password 6 for Windows will include OneDrive sync support but we don't have any info on when the iOS / Android apps might be able to support it.

• SpiresAwake
    SpiresAwake
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for OneDrive (using 1Password on Windows, OS X and also iOS). I also have Dropbox installed only for 1Password :(.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! Oddly enough, I have OneDrive setup on a few machines just for OneNote, so I know what you mean. :lol:

• rafraf
    rafraf
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Any updates on the progress of this feature request? The main reason I chose 1Passowrd is syncing Mac/PC/iOS. With dropbox it is possible to use one service to sync all 3. But it is ONLY possible with dropbox - no other alternatives. I stopped using Dropbox, so now the only option is to remember to manually sync the phone with WiFi sync while using Folder sync on Windows/Mac. Really suboptimal. Would have jumped across to dashlane, if not for their woeful keyboard shortcuts and overly aggressive automation...

I can't understand the point of adding this capability to just one platform since it doesn't address the underlying use case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. It would definitely be useful to have OneDrive support on each platform. However, while we get this essentially for free on Windows thanks to Microsoft's mature tools there, it's going to take a lot more development and testing on each other OS if we tackle that. And right now we don't have the resources to throw at it.

And in fact there is another option for accessing 1Password data on all supported platforms (and then some): 1Password Families (and Teams). That's what we're focused on currently, but OneDrive (and other similar cloud services) are something we'll take a look at more closely in the future.

• rafraf
    rafraf
    Community Member
    Options

1Password families seems nice and I can see why agilebits perceives it as the way forward. However it seems disingenuous to offer another product for a solution to a simple problem. I think I am not the only user that saw agilebit's 1Password standout capability as being consistent support across multiple platforms. At the time, I was a dropbox user amd I vaguely believed that other options were also available, so it seemed close to perfect and I was happy to shell-out money for it. Now the product does not meet my requirements simply because I can't justify dropbox solely for password integration. To have such a strong dependency on one platform (dropbox) for supporting a key differentiation point seems risky. It makes me feel cheated. There is a solid SDK for iOS and OSX, so to see another solution being promoted instead of this feature being looked at seriously, makes me question whether I want to give agilebits more of my money.... That is my feedback anyway - and I was ready to pay basically the same to jump ship, if only your competitors understood how much (some) people care about keyboard shortcuts :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rafraf: Thanks for following up! You make some excellent points.

1Password families seems nice and I can see why agilebits perceives it as the way forward.

Indeed. If you've ever had to deal with sync issues, either for yourself or family/friends, I'm sure you'll understand why. :dizzy:

However it seems disingenuous to offer another product for a solution to a simple problem.

I'm not sure "disingenuous" (meaning "not candid or sincere") is the right word. I think I was very candid by explaining that adding 3rd party sync services is not our focus currently. And there's nothing more sincere than our wish to solve a problem that affects so many people: syncing and sharing data securely can really be a pain in the ass, and it shouldn't be.

I think I am not the only user that saw agilebit's 1Password standout capability as being consistent support across multiple platforms. At the time, I was a dropbox user amd I vaguely believed that other options were also available, so it seemed close to perfect and I was happy to shell-out money for it. Now the product does not meet my requirements simply because I can't justify dropbox solely for password integration.

Thanks for the feedback and criticism here! While I don't think it's fair to expect 1Password to jump to another cloud storage provide just because you decided to make a change, I understand where you're coming from. In a perfect world, any of these services would be a drop-in replacement for the other, but obviously that's bad for their business. So we have to pick and choose what we support.

To have such a strong dependency on one platform (dropbox) for supporting a key differentiation point seems risky.

I think we're in agreement here. After all, that's part of the reason we've been working on our own thing. There's nothing wrong with Dropbox or iCloud, and I still use them both, but being dependent on another company's service for what's become core functionality in 1Password isn't ideal. And this would apply to OneDrive just as much as Dropbox or iCloud. Nothing is perfect, and when they let us down, that affects so many 1Password users...and it's completely out of our control. :(

It makes me feel cheated. There is a solid SDK for iOS and OSX, so to see another solution being promoted instead of this feature being looked at seriously, makes me question whether I want to give agilebits more of my money.... That is my feedback anyway - and I was ready to pay basically the same to jump ship, if only your competitors understood how much (some) people care about keyboard shortcuts :)

I'm really sorry that you feel this way. I'd be frustrated in your position as well. But I hope you'll appreciate that we didn't take your money on the pretense that we'd support OneDrive or another 3rd party service you might choose in the future. When we made the decision to add sync capabilities to 1Password, we chose Dropbox because they were effectively the only game in town, but also damn good at what they do. While others have since joined them in that space, they were the first to really do it right and are fairly ubiquitous as a result.

I do think we'll be able to add other sync services in the future, and OneDrive and Google Drive both appear to be popular choices. We're not as small as we once were, but we're still a fairly small team and we do have to choose carefully when it comes to allocating resources. So until we can really dedicate ourselves to a project like that (and all of the development, testing, and support that entails), we're going to have to say "not now". I'm sorry I don't have better news for you today.

P.S: And I know exactly what you mean about keyboard shortcuts! I don't know how I'd live without them either! :pirate:

• JonD0H
    JonD0H
    Community Member
    Options

+2 for OneDrive sync support.
    Like others in this post, I really only use DropBox for my personal vault - and nothing else. For work, I use the local network (not ideal). One of the main reasons I chose 1Password over the other password solutions was that you could store your own vault on your own secure system away from the developers that designed the encryption. I don't want to invest monthly on yet another dedicated cloud solution. With everything going to monthly plans (SaaS, MaaS, HaaS, subscriptions, etc), costs are getting unbearable. Companies, and moreso consumers, are slowly bleeding out. I'm sorry, $60/year USD (add on the CAD premium to raise it to ~$80/year) just to store/share several passwords is steep. I get greater value from a reputable anti-virus doing more on my 3 computers at half the cost. I feel, if Agliebits focuses solely on this cloud type of solution, they are no longer unique from the other solutions already available out there. Like the others, it'll be a wash between what little feature does this company have compared to the rest. Don't be like them, be unique! That's why I bought 1Password in the first place.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @JonD0H,

We have no plans to drop support for local standalone versions of 1Password. 1Password Families/Teams are companion services to 1Password apps, not replacements of it. There are many of us that feels the same way as you do and would only use the standalone versions using third party sync services like iCloud Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, and so on.

However, we are a small private company and we have to prioritize based on what's happening at the time. So, while we'd love to add OneDrive to all 1Password apps right now, it's not as easy as it sounds. In fact, in the current beta of 1Password 6 for Windows, we did add built-in sync support for OneDrive, only to find out a few days ago that Microsoft's servers are returning errors to us when we tried to find the vaults on OneDrive servers. So, we now have to investigate a different implementation for OneDrive support.

• JonD0H
    JonD0H
    Community Member
    Options

We have no plans to drop support for local standalone versions of 1Password. ... There are many of us that feels the same way as you do and would only use the standalone versions using third party sync services like iCloud Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, and so on.

Phew! I'm so glad to hear that! I think it's a phenomenal product! I've personally purchased several licenses and have strongly recommended it to friends and IT peers who have also adopted it.

However, we are a small private company and we have to prioritize based on what's happening at the time.

Understood, and we appreciate all the hard work and effort. :) Keep it up!

In fact, in the current beta of 1Password 6 for Windows, we did add built-in sync support for OneDrive...

The dream becomes reality! Once the kinks have been worked out, this will be huge for 1Password support with Microsoft dedicated business' and password-lazy students with Office365 :)

• MikeT
    Options

The dream becomes reality! Once the kinks have been worked out, this will be huge for 1Password support with Microsoft dedicated business' and password-lazy students with Office365 :)

One step at a time but yes, that would be awesome.

• rafraf
    rafraf
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

@brenty - I am sorry I missed the reply to my post. I appreciate you taking the time to reply and understand your position. Sincerely, thank you for taking the time.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that OneDrive support should be (for me at least) just a possible solution to the use case "provide sync across multiple platforms (mac, pc, mobile) without requiring Dropbox". OneDrive would work for me, but I would be happy with any other solution that satisfied the use case (and simply supporting OneDrive, would, I accept, still only satisfy the use case for some people).

I argued that "sync across platforms" is a key product differentiation point for 1Password and that it is not immediately obvious that if you own a Mac, PC, and a mobile device there is no other seamless method of synchronization except Dropbox. (A cursory examination of the software shows that it offers wifi sync, folder sync, iCloud, and it's easy to assume that at least one of them satisfies the use case (when in fact none do) - but that is an assumption by the user (this user at least) not a promise the software makes.)

AgileBits is working on another product that achieves this aim (and to be fair - I am sure has a lot of other great features) but I thought it inappropriate (probably a better word) to offer the product as the solution to this particular requirement for the above reasons.

I respect your decision, even if I don't agree with it (nor am I looking forward to finding another solution).I think AgileBits has done a great job with 1Password, and I value the way you engage with your user community. Yes, there is criticism in what I wrote, but I took the time to write this because I respect the way AgileBits develops software.

Kind regards,
    Raf.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @rafraf,

We always love hearing from our customers and conversations like this do help us a lot. We wouldn't be here if it isn't for our customers.

The 1Password Families/Team services isn't the solution for this, nor was it meant to be. We'll keep selling the local standalone 1Password products alongside our 1Password Families/Teams solutions and we do agree, we need to simplify and offer more cross-platform sync options for the local standalone versions of 1Password.

There is some progress where Apple's CloudKit support is being opened up to all platforms and it is possible this may be coming to Windows and if it does, that is another cross-platform solution we can investigate for Windows and Android. At least, we hope so.

1Password 6 Beta for Windows support OneDrive sync built into the app, so if we can implement it in the iOS app and once we do, it's another cross-platform sync service available as well.

It is unfortunately, taking longer than usual to get all of this done but hopefully, we'll have more to share over time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rafraf: Indeed. Thanks so much for following up! I can only imagine that you're busy too, and it's really awesome of you to take the time to share your honest feedback here with us. While we won't always agree on the details, it makes a huge difference to us to get different perspectives, and even though today may not be the day, your request (and that of others here) for OneDrive support on other platforms won't be forgotten. Cheers! :)

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    Options

What is the technical difficulty in implementing OneDrive sync on iOS? Is there no proper API for it like Dropbox?

• MikeT
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @kathampy,

There are OneDrive APIs for it on iOS, they've been improving it over the years. However, we do have our own list of requirements that not all APIs comply with.

In this case, we don't yet have the resources to add OneDrive on iOS. We have to manually add support, test, and validate the data integrity every time we add a new sync option since we're responsible for supporting you and the rest of our customers, not OneDrive's team.

• yearofthegus
    yearofthegus
    Community Member
    Options

Are there any security concerns with simply putting the 1password file on OneDrive and setting the application to use that directory/file? I notice smaller files exist (lots of .1password.23f2389f type files, iirc) in OneDrive, so I'm wondering if when I unlock the password file it creates a bunch of unencrypted temp files on OneDrive.

• @yearofthegus There are no security concerns. 1Password only writes encrypted data to your drive which can then be synced by OneDrive or any other sync service.

There might be data integrity concerns, though. The smaller files can either be temporary files that OneDrive uses to compare against the server copy, or they can indicate a syncing conflict on OneDrive. We can't say for sure.

If you don't mind me saying, I'd like to recommend you take a look at our new individual 1Password accounts that we officially announced on our blog yesterday, with a tremendous 6-Months-for-free launch deal.
    I use 1Password across multiple platforms (Windows 7, Windows 10, macOS, iOS) every day and a 1Password account provides the best user experience, security, and ease of use.

This discussion has been closed.