Feature request - better tagging

Manos_hand_of_Fate
Manos_hand_of_Fate
Community Member

I'm trying to go through my almost 600 items in 1password in order to organize them with tags and smart folders. The problem is that tagging sucks, requiring me to select each item, go into edit mode, type into the tag field, and then save. Finding untagged items is easy with smart folders, but it's very easy to accidentally delete it while working through the list, and I have to keep reselecting it after editing each item. I'd really like to be able to add/change tags on multiple items at once, because this process makes me want to tear my face off.

Please help save my face.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

I'd really like to be able to add/change tags on multiple items at once,

Simply cmd click each item in the item list then drag those items to the relevant tag.

Edit: I have deleted your duplicate post so that all answers appear in one place.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Manos_hand_of_Fate,

You're quite right, if you have to edit each item by hand it is time consuming. Thankfully as Stephen_C has stated you can actually drag a selection of items to a particular tag to add the tag to all of them in a single move. I don't know exactly when that was brought in but it does make bulk addition of a tag a lot nicer. Now you still need to edit an item to remove a tag from selected items but if the goal is the complete removal of the tag that can be done by right clicking on the tag in the Sidebar and selecting the Delete menu option.

Could that be useful at all to you?

• securefrog
    securefrog
    Community Member

Wow, this is such a useful feature. I was about to start a new post requesting a feature to tag multiple entries at once. I will throw out my 2 cents and say that it would be helpful if right-clicking multiple highlighted entries would show an option to tag them.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your feedback & request, @securefrog! I'm glad the ability to tag multiple items at once is so helpful for you. It's been really useful for me too! :)

If you need anything else, we're here for you!

• MortalWombatUK
    MortalWombatUK
    Community Member

@Manos_hand_of_Fate You mention that it is easy to find untagged items using a Smart Folder... don't suppose you could let a dimwit like me in on the secret??!!

• @MortalWombatUK Sure thing! You can use Smart Folders or Search Options for this. To bring up the Search Options, click the Edit menu when the main app is open, then hover over Find and click Show Search Options. In the second dropdown list, select Number of tags, then change the third dropdown to is and don't enter anything in the text field. Behold! Let us know if that helps. :)

• Hi @MortalWombatUK ,

Thanks for letting us know! I've responded to your request there.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Manos_hand_of_Fate
    Manos_hand_of_Fate
    Community Member

Wow. I didn't realize that I actually had responses here and assumed my post got lost in the abyss. Thanks for the input, folks!. @littlebobbytables , @Stephen_C CMD+Click is a sub-optimal solution to my problem as I have well over 200 tags. It's probably well over 400, but wine affects my ability to estimate, so I'll go with the lower number. Point is, there's a ton of tags in my sidebar. They can't even fit on one screen (2560x1440). It would be much better to be able to select multiple items and type in the tags that they will all share, a la Lightroom.

By the way, I did end up losing my face. No big loss, though. My suggestion stands in the hopes that future generations can be spared.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Manos_hand_of_Fate: Wow. That's a lot of tags. I'm sorry that we don't have a better solution to offer you right now, but we'll see if we can improve this, as you say, "that future generations may be spared". Thank you so much for taking the time to follow up and give us this feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.