Can't set up dropbox sync

duncan7
duncan7
Community Member

When I "moved in" to this computer (at work), I mistakenly installed the website version of 1P and set it to sync with the vault in my dropbox. Then the trial expired and I trashed 1Password5 and re-installed from the app store. It now sees my local vault, but when I go to set up Dropbox sync, it asks me to find the dropbox location, I navigate to it, then nothing happens when I hit [Continue], no beach-ball, no message, nothin' but the button flashing blue while the mouse is clicked. All I can do is cancel out of the file locator.

Dropbox is installed and working, otherwise.

1Password Version: 5.3 (530029)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @duncan7,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with Dropbox sync! Just to make sure I understand, the Mac App Store version was able to find your local vault, so you currently have all your data there, but you're unable to enable Dropbox sync?

You said the problem happens when you try to click the Continue button. However, if you already have a vault in Dropbox and are selecting that, I would expect there to be a Merge with Existing button instead. Can you clarify exactly where/when you're seeing an option for "Continue"?

Also, can you make sure these are the exact steps you're following:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab, then change the sync from None to Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button and select your .agilekeychain file in Dropbox (then click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

Assuming those steps aren't working, which step is the one that doesn't seem to match what you see on your end? Thanks!

• duncan7
    duncan7
    Community Member

When I select the .agilekeychain file in the third step, he button never changes to Merge with Existing.

The .agilekeychain in my dropbox folder is the only one that Finder sees when I search. Where should the local vault reside?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @duncan7,

The .agilekeychain in my dropbox folder is the only one that Finder sees when I search. Where should the local vault reside?

1Password stores your database locally in an sqlite file in a location within your ~/Library/ folder (the exact location is different depending on the version you're using) but that's not something you'll need to worry about, as that location has nothing to do with Dropbox sync. However, if you're curious, you can find more information about that here: Where does 1Password store its data?

When Dropbox sync is enabled, 1Password copies data between the local database and the .agilekeychain file in Dropbox. If sync is disabled, your data is still stored in the sqlite file, but your changes aren't copied to/from the .agilekeychain file.

Can you please clarify whether or not you currently have all your data in 1Password on that Mac? It sounds like the Mac App Store version found your local data correctly, but I'd like to be sure of that. Also, do you sync your 1Password vault with other devices? If so, what kinds of devices, and what version(s) of 1Password? Is Dropbox sync working in 1Password on the other devices?

When I select the .agilekeychain file in the third step, he button never changes to Merge with Existing.

When you select Dropbox sync, you will see a drop-down window that shows a grayed out Continue button. You won't be able to click that yet - instead, click the Choose button. When you see the "Open" dialog, you'll need to select your .agilekeychain file from its location within your Dropbox folder. You can either double-click the .agilekeychain file, or click it once and then click the Open button at the bottom.

After clicking Open, you'll return to the previous window, and the "Continue" button should change to say Merge with Existing. Are you getting this far in the process? I'm afraid I am not quite sure exactly where you're running into a problem, so it will help if you can be very specific about what isn't working as described, and what happens instead. If possible, it would be great to see a screenshot of that. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks in advance!

• duncan7
    duncan7
    Community Member

Again, the button never changes to say merge with existing once I select (or double-click) the file in the picker.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @duncan7,

This might be a silly question ... but are you clicking on that 'Continue' button? Or are you unable to proceed from there?

• duncan7
    duncan7
    Community Member

it asks me to find the dropbox location, I navigate to it, then nothing happens when I hit [Continue], no beach-ball, no message, nothin' but the button flashing blue while the mouse is clicked. All I can do is cancel out of the file locator.

This is as true now as when I started the thread. 1password is seeing the store that was on the machine at reinstall, but those passwords are increasingly out of sync with my main vault.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @duncan7,

I apologize if it seems like we're making you repeat yourself! This is an unusual problem, and it can be difficult for us to understand exactly what you're experiencing on your end without us being there in person to see for ourselves. We have to rely on your description of what you do and what happens when you do it, and because it doesn't sound like it's working as we expect it to, we just need to be sure we're on the same page. In situations like this, even small things like the name of a button can be really important, which is why we tend to ask for very specific details.

Adding to the confusion is the fact that, in your screenshot, the Continue button looks fine, and I don't know why you aren't able to click on it. Plus, if you're choosing an existing .agilekeychain file from Dropbox, you should be seeing a Merge with Existing button instead of a Continue button, so something quite odd seems to be happening.

However, rather than concentrating on those sync settings, perhaps we can go about solving this in a different way. Are you sure you have all your 1Password data in Dropbox and/or on other devices? If so, I think the best way to proceed would be for you to follow the steps in this knowledgebase article to start over & reset 1Password on that Mac. When following those steps, you'll need to look for the files listed for both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password.

After doing that, opening the Mac App Store version of 1Password on that Mac should be like the first time, and you should be able to sync your existing vault from Dropbox by following the steps here: Sync existing Dropbox data

Let us know how it all goes, thanks!

• bplattenburg
    bplattenburg
    Community Member

Hello,

I'm having the exact same issue as described above, was this ever resolved?

Thanks!

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hey @bplattenburg,

Sorry you are having this issue.

How exactly the same is your experience? If you have a fresh install of 1Password with no items, it's likely it will not change to "merge with existing" but will allow you to click continue and import all the items from the agilekeychain / opvault file.

Is that your experience?

• bplattenburg
    bplattenburg
    Community Member

It seems to be the exact same issue. I have an existing vault in Dropbox I'm trying to sync with. I select the .agilekeychain file from the Dropbox folder, and I still have the Continue button (Does not change to the 'Merge with Existing' button). Clicking the Continue button does nothing.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bplattenburg,

Indeed, that appears to be the same issue as the OP! That's a very strange problem and I'm not sure why it's happening, or if the steps I sent the OP solved the problem or not.

Thank you very much for the screenshot - I see that you have an existing "Roadie" vault in 1Password. Does that vault currently contain any data, or is it an empty vault that you created in order to sync with the Roadie.agilekeychain file in Dropbox? If the Roadie vault in 1Password is empty, you can try deleting it (go to 1Password > Delete Roadie Vault...). Then, open your Dropbox folder, find the Roadie.agilekeychain sync file, and double-click on it. 1Password should prompt you to add it as a secondary vault.

On the other hand, if you already have data in the Roadie vault in 1Password (and if that same data doesn't already exist in the sync file in Dropbox), you won't want to delete it from 1Password, so we'll need to try something else. Please let us know about the Roadie vault (i.e. if it's empty, contains the exact same data as the sync file, has different data from the sync file, etc) and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• bplattenburg
    bplattenburg
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

@Drew_AG The 'Roadie' vault was empty, so I was able to delete that and then just add the vault by doubleclicking on the .agilekeychain file in the filesystem as you described, and everything looks to be working properly now

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news! I'm glad to hear it worked by double-clicking the sync file. Thanks for letting us know how it worked out!

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.