On Mavericks, will be upgrading to El Cap

Options
brartcat
brartcat
Community Member

I'm running Mavericks, will be upgrading to El Cap and skipping Yosemite entirely.

I'm using 1P v 4.4.3 and I've purchased a 1P 5 license. What are the recommended steps for safely migrating my 1P 4.4.3 data to 1P 5, given that I won't be able to run 1P 5 until I upgrade to El Cap? I use Dropbox to sync

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OSX 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @brartcat,

Are you going to be performing a clean installation of El Capitan or performing an in place upgrade?

Ignoring 1Password for a moment, the best thing you can do in my opinion is use something like SuperDuper! or whatever your preferred application is to create a complete copy of your internal drive. That way no matter what you know you have a good safety net should anything happen during the upgrade.

Let's say you upgrade your existing copy of Mavericks. After you have installed El Capitan all you will need to do is move the old 1Password 4 application to your Trash. Reboot the Mac to ensure 1Password mini isn't running and then download a new copy of 1Password 5 from our AgileBits Download page. Move it to your /Applications/ folder and you're done :smile: 1Password 4 and 5 both use the same files so nothing else is needed.

We do have some reports of an issue with OS X's quarantine flag. If you find 1Password 5 doesn't open when you launch it this post should help.

• brartcat
    brartcat
    Community Member
    Options

I think I'll need to upgrade in place (no time for post-clean install restoration tasks). I probably need to put this on the back burner until I have time to proceed very deliberately. (And yes, SuperDuper is great. I use it daily to make multiple clones of my drives.)

Thanks for your reply. I'll come back when I'm ready to proceed -- if I have any more questions. Cheers!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @brartcat,

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're welcome! I just want to make one more suggestion/warning before you proceed: when deleting the 1Password 4 application, just drag the app icon to the trash manually. Please don't use any Mac cleaner utility apps, as those can often lead users to accidentally delete the supporting files (like your secure vault!) as well as the app.

Otherwise, you should be golden. But we're definitely here to help if you should need anything else. :) Happy upgrading!

This discussion has been closed.