Paid iOS app instead of in-app purchase for Family Sharing

jeastbur
jeastbur
Community Member

I noticed in the iOS FAQ (https://support.1password.com/pro-features-faq/) that the Pro features of the iOS app cannot be shared via Family Sharing because Apple does not support sharing in-app purchases with family members, but it sounds like AgileBits would allow family sharing if Apple supported it.
Can I suggest offering a paid version of the app since paid apps CAN be shared via Family Sharing? "Tiny Scanner" is an example of an app that offers the same "pro" features both through an in-app purchase and through an up-front paid version of the app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I noticed in the iOS FAQ (https://support.1password.com/pro-features-faq/) that the Pro features of the iOS app cannot be shared via Family Sharing because Apple does not support sharing in-app purchases with family members, but it sounds like AgileBits would allow family sharing if Apple supported it.

@jeastbur: Indeed. In fact, while we were developing the 'freemium' version of 1Password, it was understood that Apple would allow Family Sharing of some types of in-app purchases. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way. :unamused:

Can I suggest offering a paid version of the app since paid apps CAN be shared via Family Sharing? "Tiny Scanner" is an example of an app that offers the same "pro" features both through an in-app purchase and through an up-front paid version of the app.

This is certainly something we can consider, but it would be a hard thing for us to do. We really, really like allowing people to try 1Password for free (since there is no way to offer a trial), or simply use the basic features without having to pay. For some people that's more than enough. However, we really, really don't want to go the route of separate apps again. We did that with 1Password touch/Pro version 3, and it really caused a lot of confusion and headaches. Having a single app is great for us and great for our customers...except in this one specific case.

On a side note, it's interesting that you bring this up now. Back when 1Password for iOS was a paid app, it was actually more expensive. And with the current sale, buying it 3 times would be only slightly more than the old price. So if you do have a need to purchase the Pro upgrade again, now would be a pretty good time.

The 'freemium' experiment has been overwhelmingly positive, and it's important to note that if we had changed this in 1Password 6, it would have caused issues for paid customers of the previous two versions. As it stands, it was a simple App Store update. And don't get me started about confusion over Apple IDs, etc. ;)

So honestly I think we may wait and see what Apple does, because I know we aren't the only ones with this problem (and others, such as the lack of trials and upgrades). But we're constantly looking at different options, and of course if we continually receive the same request from others as well it's possible that we might switch back to a paid app at some point in the future. Thanks for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.