Extra copies of 1Password on SuperDuper backup drive

ricklehner
ricklehner
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

Its not reasonable to disconnect my backup drive every time I use 1PW because I forget to reconnect it and then miss backups. SuperDuper is used to create/maintain a bootable clone so if my main drive crashes I can continue work quickly. Having 1PW available in that scenario is critical to my ability to continue working. Please modify your code so we can exclude locations where duplicate apps reside.

1Password Version: 5.4.3
Extension Version: 4.5.1
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: DB
Referrer: kb:remove-multiple-apps

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@ricklehner I'm afraid it's really not a matter of AgileBits "modifying code". The problem lies with Apple's implementation of launchd, which will launch other versions of the 1P helper app if it finds them.

You don't need to disconnect your backup drive. The simple solution is to delete any copies of the 1P app (only) on the backup drive and exclude the 1P app file (only) from future backups.

Stephen

• @ricklehner Stephen is correct. I'd recommend excluding just the 1Password app from your backup. You can always grab the app from our downloads page if you need it. :)

• hyattron
    hyattron
    Community Member

Stephen_C, I, too, am using SuperDuper on my iMac and have just run into the message that tells me to delete the 1P copy from my backup drive.

I can do that, but I don't know how to exclude the app from future backups.

Any help would be appreciated.

hyattron

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@hyattron,

That is a good question for SuperDuper support. (Dave Nanian provides excellent support for his app!) But I'll try to assist you as best as I can. :)

1. In SuperDuper, choose File > Open Copy Script.
    2. In the Standard Scripts folder, choose the script you normally use. Personally, I use "Backup - all files", but you may be using something else for your needs.
    3. On the Script Commands tab, navigate to Applications > 1Password 6.app, then click Add Item. The default command is "ignore", and that's what you want.

4. Choose File > Save As, and give your new script a name. I called mine "Backup - all files (no 1Password)".

5. Select your new script from the "using" options.

Or you could just eject the drive when it is not actively being backed up. That would also avoid the issue. I actually don't use a custom script like that myself. But I only connect my backup drive when I want to back up.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

• hyattron
    hyattron
    Community Member

Thanks very much for that, Khad. It helps a lot.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Khad, you're quite welcome! I'm glad he was able to help you with that. Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.