how do I copy the password into the box asking for the password

antielinda
antielinda
Community Member

I incripted my new backup hard drive. So it asks for a password, every time I turn on my computer. I was unable to put the password into log ins because there is no internet connection for it.

So I managed with difficulty to put it into passwords.

But when I find it in password, it shows me the correct password, but it won't fill it in.

If I press copy, that still doesn't work. There is nothing there if I press copy first, then right click and try to paste.

How can I get it to fill in the password?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.0.1 (601004) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Using a password for opening up a harddrive

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @antielinda,

Thanks for writing us about that! I'm sorry you're running into a bit of trouble with 1Password.

If I understand your description, it sounds like your Mac is prompting you to enter the password for your backup drive. If so, 1Password is not going to be able to fill that password field for you. On a Mac, 1Password can fill login forms on websites by using the 1Password extension you installed in the web browser. But other Mac apps don't have extensions like web browsers do, so there is no direct link between those apps and 1Password.

Normally, you should be able to copy & paste info from 1Password into the other app you're using: However, it sounds like you're getting a system dialog that doesn't allow you to paste text into the password field. Are you saying that if you copy the password, then right-click inside the password field of that dialog, it doesn't show a menu with a 'Paste' option? If so, that system dialog is preventing you from pasting any text from any source, and unfortunately that's beyond our control. You would need to manually type the password into that field.

Now, it's possible I've misunderstood what you described, so if my answer doesn't seem to match what you're experiencing on your end, please do let us know. If possible, it would be great if you could take a screenshot of that password dialog. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks! :)

• antielinda
    antielinda
    Community Member

Thanks for answering. You understood the question perfectly. Luckily I was wrong about it requiring the password every time I turn the computer on, so its not really a problem.

• @antielinda Glad to hear Drew helped out. On his behalf, you're welcome. If you ever need anything, feel free to pop into the forums and let us know. :)

• salvideoguy
    salvideoguy
    Community Member

Guys, this still is a problem. You cannot use a copy/paste text with security-based dialog input boxes on OSX it seems. Also correct that it isn't the fault of 1PW but more of a security feature of OSX which is STUPID!!!!!. I am using 256 bit encryption on the archive (.dmg file) and it still doesn't trust the ADMIN of the computer to paste a password in? WTF. Stupid, Apple, real stupid. This completely renders useless, one of the great features of 1PW, to generate strong pw's that I don't have to remember. UGGGhhh

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, I just ran into this tonight. And of course in many cases having the OS X password prompt open prevents actions in other apps as well — for instance, to even scroll through text in a Secure Note using the keyboard. Secure Input is really great for 1Password in that it prevents anything from capturing your Master Password when you enter it, but it's a double-edged sword. Definitely use the Wordlist generator in 1Password for something like this which needs to be entered manually and perhaps also memorized. :angry:

This discussion has been closed.