Authentication Error when enabling iCloud sync and signing into Apple ID (AgileBits Store version)

anonymousabcd
anonymousabcd
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Mac

firstly ,i'm sorry for my bad english.

today I have purchased 1password for mac and windows.
1Password 6
Version 6.0.2 (602004)
AgileBits Store

Previously, I have purchased 1password for ios, and sync database to my icloud account.

when i firt start 1password for mac ,i can't find restore from icloud, so i create new main database in mac.

When I select the iCloud in the sync setting in 1Password, I get prompted with the Apple ID login page on the Safari browser:
(change firfox or chrome still not work .)

Authentication Error
This action could not be completed.
Please close the window and try again.

i have find all discussion method, still not work.
Have you tried clearing your browser's cache and cookies and seeing if that helps? => do it.
Are you able to log in to https://appleid.apple.com successfully? => it's OK.

thank you very much.

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: 602004
OS Version: OS X YOSEMITE 10.10.5 (14F1706)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@anonymousabcd please see if the suggestion in this AgileBits' post helps.

Stephen

• mumrah
    mumrah
    Community Member

When trying to set up the iCloud Drive sync, I'm getting an "Authentication Error" from Apple. This happens in Chrome or Safari

1Password 6
    Version 6.0.2 (602004)
    AgileBits Store

1Password Version: 6
    Extension Version: 6.0.2
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: ug:mac/sync-icloud, ug:mac/sync, ug:mac/sync-icloud, kb:icloud-not-available, kb:icloud-enable-in-system-preferences

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@mumrah there have been several very recent posts about this on the forum here, one of which I've just answered here. See if that reply—and the link in it—helps you.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @anonymousabcd,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty setting up iCloud sync in 1Password on your Mac!

when i firt start 1password for mac ,i can't find restore from icloud, so i create new main database in mac.

That's a known issue our developers are working on - normally, iCloud should be an option during the setup in addition to the other options there. The workaround (as described in the post from the link Stephen gave you) is to set 1Password up as a new user (choosing the exact same master password you're using on your other devices), and then enable iCloud sync for your new vault.

However, it sounds like that's what you're trying to do, but you get the "Authentication Error" message when trying to sign into your Apple ID on the website that opens. We've heard similar reports from a couple other customers, and in those cases, it started working again when the customer tried again later. If you're able to sign into https://appleid.apple.com and https://www.icloud.com with the same exact username and password, it should to set up iCloud sync in 1Password too.

Can you please try rebooting your Mac? After it restarts, open 1Password and try to enable iCloud sync again. It should open that website again - does it accept your Apple ID username and password this time?

Please let us know how it goes and if there's any difference in the problem. Thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mumrah,

I'm sorry you're also getting the "Authentication Error" message when trying to enable iCloud sync! We've just started hearing a few reports of this recently, and I've merged your message with another forum discussion about the same problem (the same one from Stephen's link).

For a few customers who have received that error, it started working when they tried again later. Have you tried enabling iCloud sync again since you first posted here, and if so, is it working now?

If not, please make sure you can sign into https://appleid.apple.com and https://www.icloud.com - if you can, the same Apple ID username & password you use on those sites should also work when trying to enable iCloud sync. If it works on those sites but not on the site that opens when you enable iCloud sync in 1Password, please reboot your Mac, then try again. Does that make any difference?

Let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• shap125
    shap125
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG,

Tried your steps and a restart, but it's still not working. Worked fine yesterday, so not sure if the issue just needs to be resolved by Apple. Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@shap125, thanks for letting us know, and I'm sorry you're also running into this problem. I'm curious about what changed between yesterday and today - did you disable iCloud sync during that time, then started getting the error when you re-enabled it?

• shap125
    shap125
    Community Member

@Drew_AG I switched to icloud sync on my home computer yesterday, but today on my work computer it wouldn't connect.

• dipadova
    dipadova
    Community Member

I just updated a password for a website on my Mac Laptop, switched to my desktop and 1 Password doesn't have the updated website.

I disabled the iCloud sync by selecting none then tried to sync again with iCloud.

1st. Message

Authentication Error
    This action could not be completed.
    Please close the window and try again.

https://cdn.apple-cloudkit.com/ck-auth/?prtn=24&host=setup.apple-cloudkit.com&oauth_verifier=OATVRFaddb59e4-33ec-4e30-97b4-c452cfda19d3aaae895a44b0adb23a7293a4486fd14e65ca2188656dda84ef59aca4ed7edb05536ebf85b0b8d3733455d280a518f94e757d5ca1da5ce45bfbd4ee71e3364ae32234005256cc48b92f11ffff7612dd4f6567f610317fd82d69f1ed0bd6b0dc88585a47&oauth_token=OATTKN3099a84c-f85b-4a2f-adc5-7febf1a105f8fedf5ec514bdeb661e7be6065d7179fab2d9d0067f0beff11365c2e558740753a38defca88ae1d2f1841e59bc317ccd8949f32b678d0e0e847e3b5185eacf3d2973a034b5f7a3c2b677f45ca523e5ead585a47

Complete disruption of my work day when I can't get my accounts to sync via iCloud.

Please advise.
    A

• threej
    threej
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Ditto. Updated 1Password on MacBook. Then attempted to switch its sync from Dropbox to icloud. I get an Apple ID authentication error in Safari -- but Apple ID works with separate login to appleid.apple.com. iPad and Mac Pro are properly syncing with icloud. Emptying Safari cache and restarting results same. Preparing for upcoming two-week trip. Want 1Password up-to-date on laptop.

• dabrown95
    dabrown95
    Community Member

Yeah I am suffering from the same issue this evening. My best guess is that this is Apple's side of things

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @shap125, @dipadova, @threej, @threej, and @dabrown95,

I'm sorry you're all running into this issue when trying to enable iCloud sync!

My best guess is that this is Apple's side of things

Indeed, that seems to be the case, and unfortunately we really have no control over how that sign-in page works. Enabling the iCloud sync option in 1Password launches that page, but it's coming from Apple and is their form to sign into your Apple ID / iCloud account. Once you're able to sign in, it sends you back to 1Password and allows iCloud sync to work, but I'm afraid we have no insight into why it would reject the same username and password that work on Apple's other sites.

The good news is that we've heard from some other customers that it suddenly worked when they tried again after a few hours. So if you haven't tried since earlier today, give it another shot to see if there's any change. I don't think the amount of time it seems to take is the same for everyone who has had this problem, so if it still doesn't work, it's likely just a matter of giving it some more time. I wish I knew more specific information about that, but that's all we know so far, from what some other customers have reported.

By the way, our developers have reported this to Apple & opened a radar, so hopefully that helps get to get things resolved sooner. Please let us know if you're still having trouble or if it started working for you, thanks! :)

• shap125
    shap125
    Community Member

Suddenly worked again for me! Thanks, @Drew_AG

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for following up to let us know it started working for you @shap125. Hopefully it started working for the others here as well! :)

• threej
    threej
    Community Member

Worked for me today. Guess you were right about it being an Apple issue. Didn't change anything; simply retried establishing the sync, and Apple's signin worked.

• mumrah
    mumrah
    Community Member

Well, I didn't do anything different, but now it's working. Indeed seems like an issue on Apple's side

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you both for letting us know it started working for you, too! We had filed a radar with Apple about this issue, so maybe that helped them find and fix an issue. Whatever the case, the important thing is that it works now. If you run into more problems or have questions, please let us know! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

Hi,

I have the same problem. I tried to switch from Dropbox to iCloud one week ago. Got the "Authentication Error" ... "This action could not be completed.
    Please close the window and try again."
    Since that I tried the same once per day and received the same error. Same with 1Password 6.2 today.
    Any hints to solve?

Andy

Additional information:
    I was able to switch the sync from dropbox to iCloud on my iPhone.
    I deleted the primary vault on my Mac and started from scratch. Choose iCloud on first start ... same error message after logging in.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @andycz,

I'm sorry you're getting that error when trying to enable iCloud sync in 1Password on your Mac!

When we heard the other reports of this happening in mid-February, it turned out to be a temporary iCloud issue which Apple apparently solved shortly afterwards. I haven't heard from anyone having this issue in the past week, so I don't know why you would be getting that error now. It sounds like you've already done some good troubleshooting on your own, and I'm surprised that hasn't helped.

I'm not sure if you read the previous responses in this discussion, but unfortunately we don't have any control over that site, as that form is from Apple and used for signing into your iCloud account with your Apple ID username and password. So as long as you're entering the right credentials there, it should work - but if it doesn't, we don't have any insight about why, and aren't able to do much about it.

What we've suggested before is to make sure you can sign into https://appleid.apple.com and https://www.icloud.com - if you can, then in theory, the same Apple ID username & password you use on those sites should also work when trying to enable iCloud sync in 1Password. If it works on those sites but not on the site that opens when you enable iCloud sync, please try rebooting your Mac. If you try again after your Mac restarts, does that make any difference?

Please let us know how it goes, thanks!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG ,

I´m reading your comment, tested again and ... it works :)
    Isn´t it curios? Tried the last week several times, got only error messages.

Thanks for your mental support!

• Hi andycz,

We have a request into Apple for more information, but we believe it's just some growing pains with their CloudKitJS functionality. Regardless, I'm glad to hear it works now.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• voxmatt
    voxmatt
    Community Member

Hey guys, same symptoms here. I'm wondering if perhaps it's because I recently enabled two-factor authentication on my iCloud account.

Just to help out, here are some details:

• login credentials verified on iCloud.com
    • two-factor enabled on appleid.apple.com
    • tried disabling sync in 1Password and then re-enabling iCloud sync — same problem
    • I get to the auth page, auth properly (including the step to enter two-factor code), auth seems successful, but then I land on the dreaded authorization failed page!
    • iCloud sync is working for the same vault on my iPhone and iPad

I have not tried with two-factor off; it would be pretty painful to disable it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@voxmatt: Thanks for the info! That could definitely prompt iCloud to require re-authentication. But it's definitely happening to folks who haven't made account changes as well. Since it only occurred to me after updating 1Password, I wonder if it has something to do with a code signature: perhaps Apple just wants to make sure that the app we originally authorized hasn't been replaced with an impostor. Better safe than sorry! :)

• Hi @voxmatt ,

I don't believe it's related to two-factor authentication. Many customers are using it with two factor-authentication just fine, so please do not disable it. My recommendation is to first upgrade to 6.3, and then try to log in again. If it fails again, wait a couple of days and try again. Please let us know how that works out.

Thanks,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.