Families need a Windows solution

Options

Comments

• awm
    awm
    Community Member
    Options

As a user of 1Password on Macs and iPhones for years, I decided to switch to the Families version to facilitate the syncing as well as grant different access rights to various family members. Unfortunately, after moving the vault from the Dropbox to the 1Password cloud (and everything working fine on Macs and iPhones), I attempted to install the same on a Windows 10 machine. Only after multiple failed attempts to get the Chrome extension working, I search for a solution and finally came here to learn that the extension is not working with 1Password Families/Teams and Windows 10. The big problem is that agilebits is not mentioning this anywhere on its website which means that people sign up with the assumption that the feature parity between Mac and Windows 10 is there.

I suspect that most users do not use the desktop app very often, if at all, and instead use the Chrome (or Firefox, Safari) extension to add and access passwords and fill in user IDs and passwords on the fly. This is really the core benefit of 1Password compared to other similar apps and I am puzzled that agilebits decided that the Families/Teams version can be rolled out without extension support for both Mac and Windows users alike.

In summary, not being able to use the extension destroys the value of having 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Have 1Password Families and have it installed on Mac and iPhone, including Chrome extension. On a Windows 10 machine, installing 1Password 4 asks to link to a backup which we obviously do not have because it sits in the cloud rather than a local drive.

@awm: Sorry for the confusion! When you first run 1Password 4, you can create a new local vault, open an existing local vault, or restore from a previously saved backup file.

So, we installed the Beta version for Windows 10 which works but appears not to have a helper app. As a result, we are unable to install the Chrome extension which is really the ONLY app we constantly use (we never open the desktop app). So, how can one get the Chrome extension working in Windows 10 with a "Families" account?

Indeed, it isn't possible at this time for the Windows Store app to have a separate app come with it and run separately (such as the Helper). And while that means the 1Password for Windows 10 beta cannot integrate with separate browsers, it has a built-in browser you can use (the "globe" icon when viewing item details), and we're also hoping to be able to expand this in the future as well.

The big problem is that agilebits is not mentioning this anywhere on its website which means that people sign up with the assumption that the feature parity between Mac and Windows 10 is there.

That's a really good point, and I apologize that we haven't met your expectations with the current beta. We're improving it every day, but it isn't where we'd like it to be for release yet.

I suspect that most users do not use the desktop app very often, if at all, and instead use the Chrome (or Firefox, Safari) extension to add and access passwords and fill in user IDs and passwords on the fly. This is really the core benefit of 1Password compared to other similar apps and I am puzzled that agilebits decided that the Families/Teams version can be rolled out without extension support for both Mac and Windows users alike. In summary, not being able to use the extension destroys the value of having 1Password.

While I disagree that 1Password doesn't have any value without the extensions (there's a lot that the extensions can't do, and frankly without the app itself they are nothing), I appreciate the sentiment: after becoming used to relying on 1Password in the browser so heavily, the lack thereof is noticeable and can feel like a tremendous loss. As I mentioned above, we're working to make the Windows Store app better over time, leading up to release and long after. But most importantly, we need to build this app (and the new desktop version) first in preparation for bigger things. Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions. It helps motivate us to make the next generation of 1Password apps on Windows a reality. :)

• alexandre.marcondes
    alexandre.marcondes
    Community Member
    Options

Would it be possible, at least, that some kind of license item could be added to the vault on the actual Windows Desktop client so that we could use it on standalone vaults and add new stuff or update?

For me at least, it would supply my needs and seems simpler than adding Teams & Family support. I have a Dropbox vault that I synchronize with my mac, android and iOS and then I move and copy things to the family backend. The most annoying thing for me is that desktop client on Windows keeps asking for a license for everything.

• alexandre.marcondes
    alexandre.marcondes
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any possibility of having a javascript version running directly as a browser plugin that communicates directly with the 1Password Teams & Families backend? This is another way to get rid of the legacy Windows Desktop client.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Would it be possible, at least, that some kind of license item could be added to the vault on the actual Windows Desktop client so that we could use it on standalone vaults and add new stuff or update?

@alexandre.marcondes: That's something we'd like to make easier in the future to really streamline (or, remove) licensing from a subscriber perspective in the apps. We're almost there o most platforms, but a 1Password Families/Teams-aware app is needed to be able to do something like read the license information from a vault. We'll get there! ;)

Is there any possibility of having a javascript version running directly as a browser plugin that communicates directly with the 1Password Teams & Families backend? This is another way to get rid of the legacy Windows Desktop client.

It's an interesting idea. I'm not sure if it's possible, or if it would be worth doing (browser extensions are fairly limited compared to apps), but it's certainly worth exploring. :)

• guille_0331
    guille_0331
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, how's the chrome extension going? Are there any news?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@guille_0331: What are you asking about the Chrome extension? Can you be more specific? This discussion is about 1Password for Windows, so I'm a bit confused.

• guille_0331
    guille_0331
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@brenty The windows problem is the lack of an extension to work properly, as said before by other users most of us 90% of time are only using the chrome extension.

My question is only about timing, did you progress on the extension? Do you think it will see the light before the summer? I think it is one of the main pilars of 1password.

Greetings!

• alexandre.marcondes
    alexandre.marcondes
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty , as far as I know there are new security and encryption implementations evolving on the browsers and as well as 1Password uses the Zero-Knowledge concept, it can use the browser local storage to put the stuff that is cached (encrypted of course) and communicate using webservices or REST. I guess this would make the extension, or at least a new kind of extension, platform agnostic. I would guess that the only nuisance might be having to insert the vault master key more often as the session timing might not be the same as we are used on the desktop apps.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi folks,

We agree that the extension is one of the most awesome parts of 1Password, and we're very excited to bring a version of it that supports Families & Teams to Windows. We certainly recognize the fact that our customers on Windows need that awesomeness just as much as anyone else. Our Windows team is working very hard to bring a modern & fresh experience to the Windows platform. Unfortunately I do not have any timeline that I can share at this point. As soon as we have something to share we'll update this thread.

Thanks!

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Now I am curious how soon is very soon.

Me too. ;)

Ben

• Dig_Doug
    Dig_Doug
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff More encouragement from this user to keep working on the Windows version. I've subscribed to the family plan for the year because I have faith you guys to deliver the full-featured, Windows-family version. Right now my work PC (Win 8.1) is isolated from my family vault. Yes, there are workarounds, but they are a pain. Looking forward to using the full-blown version of 1Password for windows. Holler if you need Beta-users.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

More encouragement from this user to keep working on the Windows version. I've subscribed to the family plan for the year because I have faith you guys to deliver the full-featured, Windows-family version. Right now my work PC (Win 8.1) is isolated from my family vault. Yes, there are workarounds, but they are a pain. Looking forward to using the full-blown version of 1Password for windows. Holler if you need Beta-users.

@Dig_Doug: Thank you for the extra encouragement! We don't have a beta to share yet, but you can bet that we'll let everyone know when we do. As you mentioned, there are workarounds, but we all want a more seamless experience across all of our PCs! :)

• Multiuser
    Multiuser
    Community Member
    Options

Any news about a native client for 1Password running under Windows 7/8.x?
    Last message here in this thread is one month old.
    Please comment. I'm really lost without 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Multiuser: Though we don't have anything to announce for Windows 7 and 8 yet, we're getting closer every day. ;)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty What does getting closer in this term means? How much closer? ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:silenced:

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We'll be shouting from the rooftops as soon as it's available. Thanks for continuing to stick around in the meantime.

We have a fairly strict policy on not pre-announcing release dates, so the day before a release we will say the same thing as several months before the release. We prefer to let 1Password speak for itself rather than jerking anyone around with specific claims about future releases.

Right now, 1Password Families is not supported in Windows 7, but it will be. We aren't at liberty to give any more details than that.

• wallenak
    wallenak
    Community Member
    Options

I'm 80% a mac family, but when traveling I have my office PC. Will there be a Windows 7 version of 1Password that works with Families? I currently use 4.6.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: kb-search:1Passwords for families and Windows 7, kb:sync-options, kb-search:does 1Password for Families work with Windows 7, kb:sync-options, kb:teams-families-migrate

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @wallenak! Yep. It's currently in development and we're hoping to have something out very soon. Keep an eye on our blog and Families newsletter for updates. :)

• 1casaannett
    1casaannett
    Community Member
    Options

I am in the same boat, we have mac, ubuntu, chromebook and windows7 (and have no plans to move to that windows 10 poop).
    Thus I cannot test out 1password family until windows7 is working for us.

I assume no linux or chromebook development is in the works.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wallenak and @1casaannett, I merged your posts into the existing thread for this.

We are very excited that we have a solution for folks running Windows 7 who want to have access to their family and team accounts.

Help us welcome 1Password 6 to our Windows family!

And we're not done yet, @dahanbn. :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@Bernfirn Hey its better than nothing, just don't give up yet they will get there ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

First, a big thank you for everyone who's participated in this discussion. You're our inspiration. I'm relieved that we can finally share this with you, and I'm looking forward to your feedback over the coming "days, weeks, months — who knows?" :pirate:

It's good to see you move forward but adding legacy Dropbox vaults doesn't work right now and if it would than it would be still one way and read-only.

@dahanbn: Local vaults (including Dropbox) are supported as read-only, but you're right that there's a display issue that needs to be addressed. The data syncs but does not appear right away. We'll get that fixed.

I was really anticipating the release of 1Password 6 for Windows. Obviously my anticipation and hopes were set way too high.

@Bernfrin: For the first Windows 7/8 beta? Yeah, a bit too high. But we're working hard to improve it. Rome wasn't built in a day. :)

Hey its better than nothing, just don't give up yet they will get there ;)

@ntimo: Indeed, we'll "get there". "Better than nothing" is where we start, not the destination. ;)

This discussion has been closed.