1Password 6.1 browser extension is Looking for 1password app

javinto
javinto
Community Member

After updating to 1password 6.1 I'm not able to use the browser extension. On clicking the 1P icon I get a dialog telling 'Looking for the 1password app'. I removed the extension from Firefox and reinstalled it. Not no luck. Same problem on Chrome and Safari.

I'm using the download software app, not the one from the APP store.

Any ideas as how to solve this?

1Password Version: 6.1 (610005)
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @javinto,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the 1Password extension after the update!

It sounds like the 1Password extension is unable to connect with 1Password mini (which it needs to do in order to access your data). There are various things that can potentially cause that, but the most common ones can usually be solved by following the steps in this knowledgebase article: What to do if the 1Password browser extension doesn’t work

Does anything there help? Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• javinto
    javinto
    Community Member

Hi Drew, thank you for responding so quickly. It looks like rebooting did it! I could now log in to this forum via the 1P button.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, and I'm glad to hear it's working now after a reboot!

If you ever need more help with 1Password or have any questions, don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

• hejay
    hejay
    Community Member

I also seem to be having this same issue after upgrading to 6.1. I've tried reinstalling the plugin and restarting my machine a few times but the problem persists. Weirdly enough, it appears to only have an issue in Firefox as I can still use the standalone application as well as the plugin on Chrome.

• @hejay What version of the extension are you using in Firefox? That could come into play. Also, do you have any plugins enabled that force HTTPS or block content on pages? Those can interfere with things on occasion. Let us know what the setup looks like. :)

• hejay
    hejay
    Community Member

I was able to narrow the problem down to a plugin (Privacy Badger) that was blocking tracking access to 127.0.0.1. I'm not sure why I never had an issue until I upgraded to 6.1 though...

Thanks for the quick response!

• @hejay Aha, I thought that might be the case. I had that issue as well when I just tested Privacy Badger on my end. There are some Do Not Track plugins like that which don't block 1Password. Ghostery is what I use and it works great. :)

• Rutger
    Rutger
    Community Member

I am having issues with launching 1P - i get a pop uo Looking for the 1Password app and a External Protocol Request with a request to launch application. When clicking launch app, nothing happens. The IOS app works fine. Any help and advice would be appriciated.

• Rutger
    Rutger
    Community Member

I am having issues with launching 1P - i get a pop uo Looking for the 1Password app and a External Protocol Request with a request to launch application. When clicking launch app, nothh

• bonesrh
    bonesrh
    Community Member

I'm in the same boat here. Got a new MBP running El Capitan and none of the browser extensions work right: Safari, Chrome, FF. The extensions are installed and in browser I get "Looking for 1 Password App". Reading through the forums I keep seeing, "in the General Preferences tab ensure mini is enabled or keep running"... Yah, there's not option regarding Mini or to keep it running on my general preferences tab. Then I also read go into package contents and find the 1Mini app and it doesn't exist at that path. Any thoughts before I throw in the towel?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

Hi @Rutger ,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with 1Password. Do you have the 1Password app installed in your /Applications folder?

Hi @bonesrh,

Please don’t throw in the towel, we’ll help you get this sorted out!

Do you have 1Password installed in your /Applications folder? The option to keep 1Password mini running will appear in 1Password’s Preferences, in the ‘General’ tab:

You can access 1Password’s preferences in the main app by selecting the 1Password menu and choosing Preferences, or by using the keyboard shortcut ⌘,.

• bonesrh
    bonesrh
    Community Member

Yes, it's installed in the applications folder and I can access the prefs pane, but there is no option to keep 1pw mini running. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling and see if that fixes it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

Hi @bonesrh,

That’s odd - could you take a screenshot of this? (Just be sure that you're not displaying any personal or sensitive information when you take the screenshot!)

To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

• bonesrh
    bonesrh
    Community Member

Reinstall did it. 1 Mini is there now and it's working!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

@bonesrh, I'm glad to hear it's all now working! Please le tus know if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.