Trying to sync 1Password between THREE Macs

Bver
Bver
Community Member

Trying to sync 1Password between THREE Macs. Two Macs using El Capitan with 1Password 6. Third Mac using Lion with 1Password 3. Only need to sync ONE VAULT between these three computers.
Is there a way to do this without using Dropbox? FYI, I have a Synology Diskstation NAS with an Dropbox-like app called Cloudstation.
Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.0.2 & 3.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3 and OS X Lion
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sync 1password 6 with 1password 3

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bver,

Thanks for writing in with your question about sync options!

The easiest & most seamless option with your setup would be to use Dropbox sync. It sounds like you'd prefer not to use Dropbox, but in case you're worried about the security of your data in the cloud, I wanted to explain that 1Password is secure by design and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of any cloud sync service to protect your data.

However, if you don't want to use Dropbox sync, you should be able to sync through your NAS. Here's what you would need to do:

• On one of the Macs with 1Password 6: Open 1Password, go to Help > Tools in the menu bar, and make sure Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder sync does not have a check mark next to it (if it does, select that option to disable it). This is to make sure the sync file you create is compatible with 1Password 3.
    • On that same Mac: Use the Folder Sync option in 1Password 6 to create an Agile Keychain sync file in a local folder, then use a sync app to copy the contents of that folder to/from the NAS.
    • On your other Mac with 1Password 6: Use the same sync tool to copy the folder/sync file from the NAS, then have Folder Sync point to the local copy of the sync file.
    • On your Mac with 1Password 3: Use the same sync tool to copy the folder/sync file from the NAS. 1Password 3 doesn't have a Folder Sync option because it reads directly from an Agile Keychain file - so all you need to do is double-click the local copy of the Agile Keychain file, and 1Password 3 should prompt you to start using it.

Now, I should mention that this kind of setup can be a bit fragile and is not really supported by us (as mentioned in the Folder Sync guide). However, it's worked for other users so it should be a good option for you if you don't want to use Dropbox.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

• Bver
    Bver
    Community Member

Hi, I just got around to trying this (long story). I was unable to make it work through my NAS. But was successful using DropBox for all three computers and two password vaults. Thanks!

Bryan

• That's great to hear, @Bver. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.