Weird outline of application after unlocking.

Options
timzilla
timzilla
Community Member

I've got this issue with 1Password now. After typing in my password and unlocking, I'm presented with a blank outline of where I should be seeing my passwords. I know this is a visual glitch because browser extensions are working fine. If I reboot the system, then 1Password unlocks and displays fine, but eventually glitch out and display the outline no regardless if I quit the app and relaunch it.

This seems to have occurred after I updated to 10.10.4.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @timzilla,

That's definitely a strange issue! Thanks for including a screenshot of what you're seeing, it's really helpful for us. :)

I have to admit, I don't think I've seen a problem like that before. Is this happening with the 1Password extension / 1Password mini, or with the main 1Password app?

It will also help if you can let us know a few more details about your setup:

Thanks in advance!

• timzilla
    timzilla
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG

Don't you love those weird bugs? I distribute apps on the App Store and I've heard some really weird reports from users that I've never seen in my own testing, so I know the feeling. Thanks for responding!

This glitch is affecting the main 1Password app, here's the copy-paste from the About dialogue.

1Password
    Version 6.1 (610006)
    Mac App Store

This glitch happens when I launch the app, the lock screen and password prompt show up fine. I'm able to type in my master password and it does the unlock animation, but as soon as that animation completes, the entire view turns invisible like you see above.

Both Safari and Chrome extensions are working just fine even when the view is invisible. This seems to suggest to me that it's a UI view issue, and not related to the browser extensions.

More fun things.. if I click in the window randomly, I can see that the app is responding to whatever clicks is occurring on. Like if I click and drag, I can see the drag animation appear for the (invisible) item I'm dragging. But everything in the window remains invisible.

If I force a lock from the menu, the lock animation and lock screen become visible again. Unlocking it makes it invisible again.

I just tried it again now and the passwords view is showing up fine now. I am not sure what triggers it yet, but I will follow up with another post if I'm able to come up with a way to reproduce it.

Let me know if you need any more info.

• timzilla
    timzilla
    Community Member
    Options

Also I'm able to drag around that outline if I click and drag around where the window top bar is, and able to resize it.

• Hi @timzilla,

Wow that's weird. It's almost like if OS X still thinks there's a window there. Does it persist after you quit 1Password? Have you tried a reboot of your Mac? That window is never made non-opaque that I can think of, so I'm really not sure how this could be happening. Since you mentioned having your own apps... do you think you could download Interface Inspector and tell us what it sees on that window?

Rick

• timzilla
    timzilla
    Community Member
    Options

Here's a video capture on YouTube that should give you a better idea of what's going on. Reboot of the mac resolves the issue on the first launch of 1Password but it eventually returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PNv6wYrCv4

• timzilla
    timzilla
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG @rickfillion - just tagging you two in case, regarding video above.

• Hi @timzilla,

Thanks for the video. Do you have any apps installed on your system that modify OS X at all? Any kind of theming utilities or something like that? Would you be able to try in Safe Mode and see if the issue happens there as well?

Rick

• ataylor
    ataylor
    Community Member
    Options

I opened the 1Password application this morning to add a new entry, and the interface was completely transparent. The browser extension still works, but the main application is fairly useless right now. I have screenshots of the issue attached below, the window is visible through a signature on the edges, but totally see-through. In the first image the box overlaying this screen is the 1Password window, and in the second image it's expanded using spaces and I've moused-over it to highlight it. I'm currently on the beta updates for the app. How can I get a working application back?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.2.BETA-9 (620009) AgileBits
    Extension Version: 4.5.0.b2
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.3 (15D21)
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Referrer: kb:authentication-vs-encryption, kb:dropbox-settings-file, kb:opvault-design, kb:console-log

• timzilla
    timzilla
    Community Member
    Options

Hi everyone,

Update on things. It was funny that you'd suggest trying Interface Inspector, because when I installed the app and ran it, it also came up with the invisible UI and visible outline!

I started to think that maybe it wasn't a 1Password issue but a problem with OSX in general. A hour or so later, I noticed that Coda was showing up with some missing UI elements.

I researched missing UI elements in OS X generally, and one article suggested starting up in Safe Mode which would clear out display caches or something. So I tried that and it took a long time for my Mac to finish starting up, but it eventually did and I restarted again and I have not seen any issues... yet! knock on wood

I also noticed that another person just posted a new thread about the exact same issue in the forums. So my guess is that I am not alone in experiencing that OS issue, and it probably is related to the 10.11.4 update that was pushed out.

• timzilla
    timzilla
    Community Member
    Options
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@timzilla, thank you so much for following up here to explain what seems to have solved the problem for you! And thanks for replying to ataylor's post about that. You're right - it does seem like others are experiencing this strange issue, and it seems like it might be related to the 10.11.4 update. I'll make sure @rickfillion sees your message. I'm not sure whether or not there's anything we can do from our end if it turns out to be an OS X bug, but perhaps we'll be able to file a radar with Apple.

We really appreciate that you took the time to let us know, thanks again! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ataylor,

I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your post into timzilla's thread about the same issue (the one from the link in timzilla's reply to you). I'm sorry you're also running into this strange problem!

Thank you for the screenshots - they're helpful, as I don't think we've seen this issue happen on our own Macs. If you haven't already seen it, please take a look at timzilla's other reply from earlier today. It sounds like this can also happen to other apps, which implies it might be something to do with OS X. If you start up your Mac in safe mode, then restart normally, does that seem to solve the problem?

Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• TDM68
    TDM68
    Community Member
    Options

When I unlock 1Password on my Mac (El Capitan 10.11.4), it occasionally opens to a blank window. The menu bar is visible, but the window is transparent with no content. If I restart the Mac, 1Password works again -- but it eventually stops working and I need to restart the system. This just started in the last week. The latest version of 1Password (6.1) was installed on 3/9/16.

1Password Version: 6.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:blank 1password screen

• rudy
    edited March 2016
    Options

@tdm68,

I have merged your question into this thread that describes the same issue.

I have also created a tracking number for this issue OPM-3957

Rudy Richter
    1Password for Mac Developer

ref: OPM-3957

• rudy
    Options

@timzilla @ataylor @TDM68

It would be greatly appreciated if you could send us a sysdiagnose log from your system the next time you encounter the window disappearing. To do this you can hold down Command, Option, Control and Shift keys and press .

It should take several minutes for it to process and generate a system diagnosis log archive, after which the system should show you a newly created zip archive in the Finder.

once you have your sysdiagnose zip archive please email it to support+forum@agilebits.com and mention that it is in response to OPM-3957.

Rudy Richter

• SR22pilot
    SR22pilot
    Community Member
    Options

I have this issue on two machines both with the latest 1Password after upgrading to 10.11.4.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SR22pilot,

Thanks for letting us know this is affecting you as well. It would be very helpful in our quest to solve this issue if you could please send us the log that Rudy requested from the other users above. One from each of your affected machines would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :+1:

• gekswa
    gekswa
    Community Member
    Options

I can see the window for 1pw but there is nothing in it. It doesn't help to click on it. I can just see my desktop background. 1pw still works though if I use the little icon in the toolbar.

1Password Version: 6.1
    Extension Version: 4.5.4
    OS Version: safari 9.1
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:I can see the box for 1 password but it is empty on my desktop, I have used 1pw for years on safari

• ataylor
    ataylor
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rudy, I'm happy to do so, but haven't noticed the issue since I rebooted my computer the night following posting this. When I rebooted my computer, the issue was gone, and 1Password prompted me to perform a beta update, which I did. If the issue resurfaces I'll definitely send that along though.

• pdp2shirts
    pdp2shirts
    Community Member
    Options

I too have this issue. I'm on 10.11.3 with latest version of 1Password. I have created the sysdiagnose zip and will send it to the email address.

• rudy
    Options

@ataylor,

Thanks! Let us know!

Rudy Richter

• rudy
    Options

@pdp2shirts,

Thanks, taking a look now.

Rudy Richter

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gekswa,

I'm sorry you're having a strange problem with the 1Password window! A few others have reported a similar problem, so I've merged your message into another discussion about that. I hope you don't mind!

We're not exactly sure why this is happening for a few 1Password users, but apparently it can happen to other apps as well. If you reboot your Mac, does it work as expected? That seems to work for the others who have reported this. If the problem happens again, there are some steps in this post from Rudy that you can follow to create & send us a sysdiagnose log from your system, which might help us determine why that's happening.

Thanks!

• pdp2shirts
    pdp2shirts
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy It took me a while to get back to this and actually send the email with the link to the sysdiagnose tar file. the email has now been sent.

• LauraR
    Options

@pdp2shirts - Thanks we have received your file and we will get back to you via email.

ref: XPW-86831-734

• timzilla
    timzilla
    Community Member
    Options

Rebooting resolved the problem only temporarily. It would just eventually come back..

But however rebooting in Safe Mode, then booting again worked better.. I have not encountered the issue again since doing the Safe Mode boot (6 days now).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying that @timzilla! I was hoping that was just a coincidence, and that a normal reboot would have the same effect - but it sounds like rebooting in Safe Mode can make a difference for this issue.

For others running into this problem, if you've tried a regular reboot and the problem comes back, please try rebooting in safe mode, then restart again normally. Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• timzilla
    timzilla
    Community Member
    Options

It pains me to report this, but after 7 days of trouble-free operation, the invisible windows have returned.

The invisible windows, or I should say, invisible Views are not limited to just 1Password.

• Coda (by panic software) shows up with the top toolbar completely blank (no buttons are visible).
    • iOS Simulator on XCode shows up with blank gray screen when running apps
    • 1Password has invisible lock screen.

I tried to do an sysdiagnose log but my computer experienced a hard crash shortly after triggering the sysdiagnose. Now the windows are working normally again, but this is really starting to become annoying.

Is there any communication between AgileBits and Apple at present? I realize its not an 1Password bug anymore but hopefully there will be enough data from this thread to help Apple find and fix this issue. I am going to check the Mac developer forums over at Apple for any reports on this issue.

• rudy
    edited March 2016
    Options

@timzilla,

Yup, indeed. Frustrating on this end as well since the WindowServer isn't logging anything to console to give an indication of the reason why the window is disappearing.

I did file a bug with Apple, under radar number 25420242. Its particularly interesting that not only does the problem happen with 1Password, but it seems to spread to Interface Inspector when attempting to inject and inspect 1P.

Just for a further bit of information, what kind of Macs does everyone have? MacBook Airs?

I'm on a Retina MacBook Pro with dual displayport displays connected, which might explain why i've never seen it happen.

Rudy Richter

• timzilla
    timzilla
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using a Late-2013 Retina MacBook Pro. I have it hooked up to my Thunderbolt display 99% of the time. I have not observed this issue when using the laptop display alone, but I rarely use it in that mode so it shouldn't be considered hard evidence yet. I will post to this thread if I observe it occurring in laptop display mode and not hooked up to any external monitor.

This discussion has been closed.