Weird outline of application after unlocking.

Options

Comments

• rudy
    Options

informal poll of people experiencing this problem time!

Open up /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
    In the terminal window type/paste: kextstat | grep org.virtualbox

post your output and lets see if this is our common thread!

Rudy

• olsonja
    olsonja
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I upgraded to 6.3 Beta. Still there. I took a screen shot, attached. It's that drop shadow that appears - transparent 1PW.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @olsonja,

Sorry to hear the beta didn't help, but thanks for confirming that for us!

If you have the chance, please try the steps from Rudy's post (the one right above yours). He has a theory about this problem, and that might help to let him know if it's correct or not. Thanks! :)

• olsonja
    olsonja
    Community Member
    Options

That entry in the terminal doesn't return anything. Is that right?

• rudy
    edited April 2016
    Options

@olsonja,

Yeah, It doesn't look like you have virtual box kernel extensions installed, but its certainly possible you have another 3rd party kernel extension installed that does similar things. admin edit: redacted request for kextstat output

Thanks

Rudy

re jstewart30: ref: RIK-44882-873

• jstewart30
    jstewart30
    Community Member
    Options

No issues here with 6.3b3 after rebooting the computer, but I know that it often takes a few days to show up. Just installed b4 and all seems well, but we'll see if it holds up. For me, no virtual box extensions either, will email the output file above as requested.

• olsonja
    olsonja
    Community Member
    Options

Done.

• TDM68
    TDM68
    Community Member
    Options

I have experienced the same problem with Keynote -- one of the Apple apps. There's a problem that no doubt goes beyond 1Password -- but probably not a memory issue, I have 8gb of memory on my MacBook Pro.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jstewart30 ,

Thanks for the update! Please let us know if that changes. :)

Hi @TDM68,

I’ve recently noticed the same problem with Safari when booting my computer, so I think you’re right, this goes a bit beyond 1Password. Here’s to hoping we can track this to the source!

• jstewart30
    jstewart30
    Community Member
    Options

6.3b3 and 6.3b4 continue to work fine after rebooting my computer for the last 5 days or so. Given that @olsonja had the problem with b3, though, I'm inclined to think I'm just getting lucky here. Haven't really changed anything else besides installing the betas and rebooting. FWIW I haven't noticed the problem with any other apps besides 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So far so good, but be sure to keep us posted! :)

• olsonja
    olsonja
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have have 6.3b5 running and looks good.

• timzilla
    timzilla
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy - i hope your theory about virtualbox is correct. i do have that installed on my system (for docker and kubernates)

➜ xxxx git:(develop) kextstat | grep org.virtualbox 139 3 0xffffff7f83441000 0x60000 0x60000 org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (5.0.16) 35F02C29-8027-3636-ACD2-6F171A50C1D8 <7 5 4 3 1> 147 0 0xffffff7f834a1000 0x8000 0x8000 org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (5.0.16) BD2570CD-7993-3635-BE1E-FAB977FFBD5C <146 139 39 7 5 4 3 1> 148 0 0xffffff7f834a9000 0x5000 0x5000 org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (5.0.16) 2C1775A7-B7A3-32A2-9E8B-951C1B499870 <139 7 5 4 3 1> 149 0 0xffffff7f834ae000 0x6000 0x6000 org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (5.0.16) B108642D-2C95-3CB4-8D0B-01F867E60FBF <139 5 4 1>

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@olsonja: Sounds good. Thanks for following up! Fingers crossed! ;)

@timzilla: Thanks for confirming that! Are you having any success with the latest beta? Please let us know if it helps! :)

• Sciart
    Sciart
    Community Member
    Options

Can only see the shadow of an outline of the window on desktop. Concerned that this may relate to a security breach. In any case, I need to solve asap.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.11.4
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:1Password windows are totally transparent, using latest version, no issues with other applications

• BenNeivert
    BenNeivert
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem however, if I quit Photos 1Password appears normally. Quit 1Password and then run Photos and 1Password goes back to transparent. Quit 1Password and then quit Photos, when I run 1Password it appears normally again.

• rudy
    Options

@Sciart, @BenNeivert,

I've merged your thread into this previous discussion of the problem. We're working on a cause and solution, but currently the only option seems to be restarting the app/computer.

Rudy

• brycock
    brycock
    Community Member
    Options

I tried to access my 1password account by using the application on my mac. It showed the square dashboard screen asking for master password. Once i entered the password the dashboard screen became transparent and although it seems the buttons still work i cannot see anything within this transparent square

1Password Version: 6.2.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS 10.11.4
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:transparent dashboard

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

@brycock: I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your post with an existing discussion on this issue. Are you by any chance using VirtualBox or something else that install kernel extensions? There seems to be a strange interaction there.

ref: OPM-3957

• SR22pilot
    SR22pilot
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still having the problem. I haven't tried the best versions. The kextstat | grep org.virtualbox command returned nothing.

• SR22pilot
    SR22pilot
    Community Member
    Options

Just installed the latest beta. No luck.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SR22pilot,

I'm sorry that you are having this problem as well. Could you email us the kextstat text file that Rudy mentioned in this post?

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/296144/#Comment_296144

That might help shed some light on things.

• SR22pilot
    SR22pilot
    Community Member
    Options

I have already emailed the kexstat file. I downloaded a new version of 1Password today but it didn't do any good.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! I see that Rudy has received it, so hopefully that will help provide some insight. :)

ref: ZSM-61596-656

• jstewart30
    jstewart30
    Community Member
    Options

Well I had a good run, it had held steady from beta-3 around April 5th, up until I just updated to b9. After installing b9, it let me unlock once, I went back a few minutes later, and it was transparent again. b3-b8 had been 100% solid for me. Not sure if it helps at all, but I'd launched Parallels Desktop right before b9 went transparent. I quit Parallels pretty immediately (I'd launched from in my dock by mistake). Now, interestingly, with nothing else really changed (no reboots of the computer, but I did quit and relaunch b9 and it was still transparent), I just checked it and my 1Password window is suddenly back to normal and usable again. I know we're mostly shooting in the dark here, but just trying to relay any info that might be helpful...

• jstewart30
    jstewart30
    Community Member
    Options

Interestingly I just launched Keynote 6.6.1 and it's got the same transparent window problem. 1Password b9 is still working ok though. Quit and restarted both apps, Keynote still blank, 1P still fine. The mystery continues...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jstewart30: Which version of Parallels are you using? I ask because I have version 11.1.3 on a 15" retina MacBook Pro (2014) running OS X 10.11.4 as well and haven't encountered this issue...and I leave Parallels running pretty much all the time (since they resolved the excessive logging issues a while back). Do you have other apps running in the background as well?

• jstewart30
    jstewart30
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Using Parallels version 11.1.3 as well. May have just been coincidental..it didn't even fully launch before I quit it. Interestingly my Keynote windows stopped being transparent after a few minutes, just on its own (I just left it in the background). So I can definitively say that it doesn't need a computer reboot to resolve this issue, and I'm 90% certain that it doesn't need an application restart to resolve itself. I do have a slew of other applications running at the same time (25 at the moment, LOL). Two browsers, dozens of browser tabs. Definitely haven't found anything definitive that causes or resolves it, but it seems to be happening less, lately, and resolving itself more quickly than it did when it first started. I do have an external monitor attached to my Retina 15" (in non-mirroring mode) and do still have the "Displays have separate spaces" unchecked per an earlier suggestion, but beyond that I haven't changed my normal workflow or applications in any real way. I did also have (probably unrelated but I'll put it out there) some issues with Java lately (I got a Java update prompt, which I proceeded to do, but the Java update installer window was blank (not transparent like the other apps, but just a blank window), so I uninstalled and reinstalled Java (and it's still not quite working right...when it goes to the Oracle page to verify my version, the applet never runs...I haven't dug into it further yet). I doubt that's related but just tossing it out there to see if there's any commonalities with other people who are experiencing this issue.

Thanks for the ongoing help and suggestions. I'm glad it's been happening less lately, and it definitely is an issue beyond 1Password, but it would be nice to actually figure out.

• rudy
    Options

@jstewart30,

Thanks for the additional details. I have a similar configuration to many of the people reporting the issue. MacBook Pro Retina 15 w/ external displays, VMWare installed but not actively running, and I've never seen anything close to the transparent window. This makes this one a fun one to try and track down a cause. I checked with a guy I know at Apple that works on the WindowServer and the only idea head had didn't pan out.

I'm pretty sure its not related to the presence of 3rd party kernel extensions that are creating virtual frame buffers (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox) as there have been several people send in their kextstat output and it shows only Apple kernel extensions being loaded.

For it to have such variety, its most probably a combination of something we're doing with our window (that many others are likely doing with their windows) and a bug Apple has in their graphics driver kernel extensions. Typically there would be a message logged to the console by the responsible process/WindowServer/the kernel about an unexpected state that would normally give a clue about what went wrong, but in this case the are all being completely silent when this state is triggered.

I'm going to see if i can get it to happen w/ Parallels installed. If I can make it happen on demand then it will be a ton easier to figure out what we're doing in 1Password to trigger it.

Rudy

• tgdavies
    tgdavies
    Community Member
    Options

Quitting Photos (as suggested above https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/298117/#Comment_298117) fixed the problem for me too.

This discussion has been closed.