1Password takes very long to unlock

arielsalmang
arielsalmang
Community Member

Hi,

since the last update (I am running version 6.1 (610005) on MacOS El Capitan), the time it takes for 1Password to unlock (both the app and the mini) has increased dramatically. Between hitting return after entering the password and the app unlocking, time is around 18 seconds.

Please advise.

Many thanks,

Ariel

Comments

• Hi @arielsalmang,

Thanks for writing in. I think this is the same issue as one we're working on. Can you restart both 1Password and 1Password mini and let us know if that speeds things up for you? If so that's a temporary workaround, and after a few days you might be in the same boat again. We're trying our best to get this issue resolved.

Rick

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member

Hi there. I have been having this problem as well, for a couple months it seems. I'm currently using 1Password 6.2.1 (621002), OS X 10.11.4.

I usually have to wait 10 seconds for the app to unlock.

Going to Help -> Troubleshooting -> Restart 1Password Mini does (sometimes?) help, but after a few days unlocking slows down again.

Was this issue supposed to have been fixed since Ariel made her post ... i.e. between versions 6.1 and 6.2.1?

Thanks,

Devin

• jakeneedham
    jakeneedham
    Community Member

Same problem here, and recently it's gotten much, much worse. I'm now looking at a wait of 30 seconds or more every single time I try to unlock my passwords. What in the world is going on?

Version 6.2.1
    Mac OS 10.11.4

• jakeneedham
    jakeneedham
    Community Member

There are a lot of threads here going back for months complaining about what appears to be the same thing, excessive delays in the database opening in the newer versions of the application, and yet I can't find a single straight answer pointing to a solution in any of those threads.

I'm having problem, too, and recently it's gotten much, much worse. I'm now looking at a wait of 30 seconds or more every single time I try to open my password database. The delays are so annoying that I have begun to hate using the application and being dependent on it.

What in the world is going on, and why hasn't it been fixed by now.?

Version 6.2.1
    Mac OS 10.11.4

• Jacob
    edited May 2016

@dgbeecher @jakeneedham We've been working hard on a fix for this, and we just released a new beta that should get things running smoothly again for you. If you'd like to try out that beta, feel free. Here's how:

Using 1Password betas

If you decide to stay on the stable build, we're hoping to get a fix out soon. We just want to make sure the fix is solid. :)

• jakeneedham
    jakeneedham
    Community Member

Thanks, but I'm not willing to risk a build that you haven't yet pronounced stable for such a critical function. I guess I'll just have to put up with the excessive delays until you finally get them fixed in a build you're willing to stand behind. Please hurry.

• Jacob
    edited May 2016

@jakeneedham I've been on the betas since I started here at AgileBits and honestly, they're very stable. I'd recommend trying them, at least so you don't have that delay at all, and reverting to the stable builds if necessary. That's up to you, though. We're trying our best to resolve the issue. We posted an update at the top of the Mac forum you may be interested in:

Experiencing slow unlock issues with 1Password 6? Please read this.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jakeneedham,

I noticed you posted about this same issue in another thread. To avoid confusion (and so we don't duplicate efforts between here and there), I moved that message to this thread where penderworth has already replied to you. I hope you don't mind!

Although our betas are generally quite stable, you certainly don't need to switch to the beta version of 1Password if you don't feel comfortable doing so. We hope to include the fix for this issue in a stable release as soon as possible, and in the meantime, the workaround for this issue is to restart 1Password mini: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. That should get things back to normal for you, at least temporarily.

I'm so sorry you've been running into this problem! It's been a very difficult issue for our developers to figure out. We explain more about it in this announcement on our Mac forum: Experiencing slow unlock issues with 1Password 6? Please read this.

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.