Hi, I just lost lots of data when upgrading to 1Password 6. Any idea how I can port it over?

amberdean
amberdean
Community Member

It appears that the data is still in the older version of 1Password, but it's not showing up in the version 6. I would have thought this would have been automatic. Can you please help me move the data to the new version?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.2 (620012) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:lost data

Comments

• Hi @amberdean ,

I'm sorry you had trouble moving your data over. It should have been automatic. If you were using the Mac App Store version before or a much older version, it could explain why the older data wasn't found.

I see that you filled in Dropbox for the sync type. The easiest way is to open the new version of 1Password 6, and go to the Preferences and select Sync. Then set the sync type to Dropbox and locate your sync file (it will either end with .agilekeychain or .opvault). Then the items will sync to the newer version.

If you have any trouble with this or have any questions, feel free to reply.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• amberdean
    amberdean
    Community Member

Ok great. I'll try that. Thanks.

• amberdean
    amberdean
    Community Member

Ok! I see what the problem is, but I want to make sure I know how to proceed so that I don't lose any data. I did purchase the old version from the Mac App store. And evidently the Mac App Store one used iCloud to sync, while my AgileBits version is using DropBox.

Any suggestions on the best way for me to combine them and not lose any data? I'd also like to delete the old version once I get the new one updated.

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

Hi @amberdean,

Thanks for clarifying! If you want to bring all of the information that is currently stored in iCloud into your new vault, what we’ll do is disable syncing and then re-enable to iCloud. This will merge your databases, and you can then switch back to Dropbox sync. Here are the steps to make that happen:

• Make sure you are signed into iCloud with the same account you used when you set up iCloud sync in 1Password earlier.
    • In 1Password, use File > Backup to create a fresh backup of your data, just in case.
    • In 1Password’s Preferences, select ‘Sync’ and change the sync to ‘iCloud’ - do not select the option to remove your data from Dropbox.
    • Enter your Master Password if prompted, and allow your data to import.
    • Review your database to make sure everything is as it should be.
    • Open Preferences > Sync and switch the sync back to Dropbox.

I hope this gets you all sorted out, but if you have any questions, we’re here for you!

• amberdean
    amberdean
    Community Member

That worked! Thank you so much! Is it safe to delete the old version of 1Password now?

• Hi @amberdean ,

Yes, it is safe to delete the old version of 1Password now. If you are a bit apprehensive, just throw it in the trash and leave it there for a few days. Empty the trash whenever you like.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• amberdean
    amberdean
    Community Member

Great. Thank you!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.