moving from App store to AgileBits download

mwcallen75
mwcallen75
Community Member

I followed directions above but it never prompted me to enter a few configuration questions before opening the vault. I don't know if I'm running the correct version or not. I was having some glitches esp. with syncing on my various devices - with the mac app version that I initially purchased so I was hoping that this download would make things run more smoothly.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:switch-from-mac-app-store

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mwcallen75,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with 1Password. Let’s see what we can do to get you all sorted out.

First of all, you can determine the precise version of 1Password that you’re using by clicking on the 1Password menu, and selecting ‘About 1Password’.

Now, in general, we don’t necessarily recommend switching from the Mac App Store version to the AgileBits Store version as a solution for a problem. Both versions are updated at the same time and should run nearly identically. (One of the exceptions is that the AgileBits Store version is able to be run in ‘beta’ mode, where some fixes can be tested before they are released into the ‘stable’ version.)

Did switching fix your syncing problem?

• mwcallen75
    mwcallen75
    Community Member

Hi Megan - thank you for responding. I am not sure what I've done (other than getting myself thoroughly confused). I bought 1Password from the Apple app store years ago and have been using it successfully. I have a Windows computer at work (all home devices are Apple), and was hoping to update a few things more easily that way than from my iPhone. I saw where you can log in on Agile Bits website, but I couldn't recall having an email address at the @1password.com address. Then, I couldn't remember my license key, but realized you don't actually have a license key if purchasing from the app store. Part of my confusion may be on whether this 1Password is cloud based meaning I could log into my account from any Mac or Windows computer or if it lives on my actual iMac desktop at home and then the mobile app I have on iPhone and iPad sync to that via iCloud. I have an iMac at home, an iPhone, an iPad and a MacBook Air and I want to make sure all devices have the same 1Password information on them - it seemed that some would have updated synced information, and others would not. Any help you can provide is most apprecaited!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mwcallen75,

First of all, I can certainly understand how you’ve gotten a bit turned around here. Don’t worry, we’ll get it straightened out.

I saw where you can log in on Agile Bits website, but I couldn't recall having an email address at the @1password.com address. Then, I couldn't remember my license key, but realized you don't actually have a license key if purchasing from the app store. Part of my confusion may be on whether this 1Password is cloud based meaning I could log into my account from any Mac or Windows computer or if it lives on my actual iMac desktop at home and then the mobile app I have on iPhone and iPad sync to that via iCloud.

Let me see if I can explain. As of very recently, there are now two separate ways that you can use 1Password: as standalone apps, or as a part of a subscription service. When you sign up for a 1Password account, you can use 1Password on all of your devices and sync your data via our servers instead of using a third-party service like iCloud or Dropbox. The licenses for all the 1Password apps are included in your subscription fee, so you can access your data on any device, or via the sign in page on 1Password.com.

Purchasing 1Password (either via the Mac App Store or the AgileBits Store) is slightly different. When you buy the app itself, you will get a license to use 1Password on your Macs. With the AgileBits Store, that license is a file you receive and apply to the app. With the Mac App Store, your license is attached to your AppleID. It’s not accessible by you, or us, but it does the same job of allowing you to make use of 1Password.

Part of my confusion may be on whether this 1Password is cloud based meaning I could log into my account from any Mac or Windows computer or if it lives on my actual iMac desktop at home and then the mobile app I have on iPhone and iPad sync to that via iCloud.

The version of 1Password that you are currently using does not include the web access that you would get with a 1Password account. You can still sync your data using iCloud or Dropbox so that it is available on all of the devices that you use 1Password on, but there is no way to access your data unless 1Password is installed on the computer you’re using.

I have a Windows computer at work (all home devices are Apple), and was hoping to update a few things more easily that way than from my iPhone.

If you would like to add 1Password for Windows to your mix of devices, we can help! Just email in to support+licenses@agilebits.com with your receipt from your purchase of the Mac App Store version of 1Password, and we’ll provide you with a coupon so you can purchase a license at a reduced cost.

However, if the 1Password account sounds like something you’d be interested in looking into further, you can read all about 1Password Families on our website, or ask your questions here. :)

This discussion has been closed.