Syncing 1PW on laptop/desktop

whowland
whowland
Community Member

This is really more than I could express in a thread title. Apparently a long time ago I put 1PW on my MacBookAir, found it too cumbersome, and never used it(ad have completely forgotten what PW I might have put on it). Meanwhile, with your improvements, I have 1PW on my desktop Mac and love it. So far, so good. Now I want to take my MBA on a trip and find I can't access the version (if that's the right word) on my desktop and put it on my laptop so I can use my (remembered) PW from the desktop version. I have tried the hints on looking for a folder in my DropBox on the laptop-- all my working files are there, but I can't find anything that looks like AB 1PW.
Is there a way to make the thing on the laptop go away, and install (reinstall?) so i can use the same PW/account from my laptop, so I can be all in sync? This is making me crazy.
(Desktop)
1Password Version: 4.5.5.90
Browser Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_3) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.110 Safari/537.36

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:forgot-master-password

Comments

• whowland
    whowland
    Community Member

Looks like my laptop is running 1PW6, if that helps.
    OSX 10.11.1

• whowland
    whowland
    Community Member

Have now installed a new 1PW6 and discarded the old one on the MBA. Still can't figure out how to make all my data, pws, logins, etc port over from my desktop.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @whowland,

So it sounds like you found our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide and have managed to get 1Password on the MacBook Air to a clean state, like it had never been run before.

There are a couple of options open to you. As a licensed user of 1Password every copy will allow you to use either iCloud or Dropbox to sync between multiple Macs and mobile devices. Dropbox has great cross-platform support while iCloud is Apple devices only given many people already use it they prefer it to a second sync service.

If either of these sound acceptable then what you'd want to do is as follows.

1. Set up sync on the iMac. the following guides, Sync with iCloud or Sync with Dropbox will show you how.
    2. Assuming when you first launch 1Password on the MacBook Air you're greeted with 1Password behaving as if it has beaver been run before then the following pages will help, Sync existing Dropbox data or Sync existing iCloud data. Basically you use the data stored in the cloud to set up the new copy.

Another option is 1Password Families. It's a subscription service and basically what you're paying for is free access to the application on all supported platforms (which won't seem hugely important if you've got a licence already) but access to storing your vaults on our server. While we host your data we don't have access - a key distinction that we make. The service will likely seem more useful to those wanting to manage vaults for the family but some people find benefit in it even if it's just for their usage. In this case you would need to create an account which you can do from the link already provided and add your account to the iMac. You would move all the items in your locally stored vault over to the family vault and then on your MacBook Air you would tell 1Password that you have a Families account. The two links that will help cover all of this are

The subscription does have a monthly or annual fee while iCloud and Dropbox can be used for free if you're not using them to store masses of data. The subscription service I think is easier to conceptualise as we do find some people find iCloud and Dropbox confusing and I'm hoping for the sort of person that doesn't want to get dragged into that sort of details that 1Password Families lets them avoid the gory details. The choice is entirely yours though and we will help you no matter which route you wish to take.

Hopefully the links help but if you have questions please do ask :smile:

• whowland
    whowland
    Community Member

THANK YOU! Perfect.

It would be nice if this easy-peasy description came up on the AB website.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're very welcome! I'm glad his information helped you get things all sorted out.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.