Failed to connect to 1password mini, troubleshooting did not work

courtney_meier
courtney_meier
Community Member

Often, when I start up 1password for Mac, I get a message that I have failed to connect with 1password Mini. Per instructions in the KnowledgeBase article I found, made sure 1password is in the Applications folder (it always has been), and then I tried restarting. After a restart, I can open the program, but the error message pops up again at a later time. The next step recommended in the KnowledgeBase article suggested I try using some terminal code - when I pasted the 'xattr' code into Terminal, I received hundreds of 'Permission denied' warnings, so I think the Terminal solution is not working. I appreciate any insight you have as to how to ensure communication between 1password and 1password Mini keeps working smoothly. This problem seems to have started within the last couple of months.

Many thanks,
Courtney

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:error-connect-to-mini

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hi @courtney_meier,

So it's odd to see this be an intermittent issue, especially if it works after a restart of the Mac. Have you noticed any pattern at all when this happens e.g. do you see it after the Mac has woken up from being asleep?

Based on your description of the issue the xattr command won't help as this was to resolve a very permanent issue that stopped 1Password running at all while yours is quite different. Based on the results you describe I would also say you're a Mac App Store customer who downloaded 1Password from the App Store application on your Mac. The xattr command has only been needed for our AgileBits Store users, or at least based on my own experiences of helping people.

The best way forward might be as follows.

1. Wait for the issue to happen again.
    2. Create a diagnostic report at this point and send it into us (steps on what to do are below).
    3. Instead of restarting your Mac I would recommend using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q from the main 1Password window. This will quit both 1Password and 1Password mini. When you launch 1Password a fresh copy of 1Password mini will load and that should be a lot faster than a reboot.

This guide will show you how to create a diagnostic report.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

ref: FGU-91572-813

This discussion has been closed.