1Password vs Safari Password Generator

davenaz
davenaz
Community Member

There are times when can't use 1Password to enter my password on a website or on my iPhone, because the password is needed in a application or App not supported by 1Password. What I like about the Safari generator is that it cuts the password into 3 character chunks separated by a dash. Like "3er-i48-iue-oie". This is much easier to copy and read off.

Right now I copy what 1Password generates and paste it into a text editor. I then add my own dashes and then order then sometime even group some of the numbers and symbols together to make manual entry easier.

The option of dashes would be a big help for manual password entry!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Mac Password Generator

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @davenaz,

Thanks for writing us about this! You'll be happy to know that what you described is already possible in 1Password for Mac and iOS. If you're using 1Password 6, the password generator should show a choice between 'Characters' and 'Words'. If you switch to the Words option, it will create passwords using random words with a separator in-between each one (there's also a choice for which separator to use).

You can find a bit more information about that at the bottom of this page of our user guide: Generate a strong password

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• davenaz
    davenaz
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG,

Yes. I've seen the Words option. I've alway stayed away from it because it seems to really weaken the passwords to use words from a dictionary instead of random characters. Thanks for the comment, though!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

Hi @davenaz,

You think we would add a weak option to our password generator? Don't you know us better than that?? :lol:

But seriously, we are in the business of strengthening your security. It's basically our one job.

Our password generator's strength meter is a pretty good indicator, and you can get a strong wordlist password even with only 3 words. How, you might ask? @julie-tx from our security team wrote an excellent blog post on the subject that I'm happy to share with you. Check it out!

How 1Password calculates password strength

• davenaz
    davenaz
    Community Member

Thanks for the article link. It was very helpful in understanding the 1Password approach. A four word option is very strong, but it is also very long - upwards of 30 characters at times. This can be very frustrating if you are challenged to enter a password on, say, an iPhone. That's why I like the option of "3er-i48-iue-oie" (9 random seems to be of similar strength as 4 words according to your article). So for now, I'll still manaully create my passwords in a text editor with a password seed from 1Password.... "Users" - are they ever happy? :-)

dave

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @davenaz,

Thanks so much for the feedback - I’ll be happy to pass it along to our team!

I was a bit surprised to hear that you feel that typing a password made up of words is more frustrating than a jumble of characters. Personally, the moment we had the wordlist option for passwords in 1Password, I updated both of my Apple ID passwords to use words instead of characters. I don’t care how long it gets, for me it’s far simpler to use the one keyboard to type in my password than to be continually switching between letters, numbers - whoops, that one was supposed to be a capital - and symbols. In any case, that’s just me. You might be a much more adept keyboard switcher than I am. ;)

• davenaz
    davenaz
    Community Member

Thanks for you response.

I will admit I am intrigued by the word option, but still hesitant. Part of the reason may be I am a really lousy speller, so even if I can remember the four words in the password, I'm not sure I'd get the spelling right. In fairness, I have not tried the option much. I will take it for a test run a couple of times to actually try it out and see what happens - mainly because you all seem so sold on it :-).

dave

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @davenaz,

That’s a fair point. Not all of the words in the wordlist are common enough that I use them in daily conversation, so I’ll admit that I’ve sometimes had to regenerate the password a couple of times to get one that’s familiar enough for me.

I’m curious to see how you fare with it!

This discussion has been closed.