How can I add "PayPal" as if it were a credit card?

williamcohen
williamcohen
Community Member

1Password allows me to add major credit cards, which is excellent. I also use "PayPal" as a payment system.
Can I add this somehow, or not really? "Dashlane" allows many payment systems for shopping: credit cards, PayPal, and also
direct bank payment wire transfer payment.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Your system lets me add major credit cards. Can i also add "PayPal" the way Dashlane allows?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@williamcohen: Since "PayPal" isn't an actual payment account (rather, it processes through credit cards and banks, as you mentioned), having a separate item type for that won't be of much use — there's no payment data to fill. However, we do need to login to our PayPal accounts to use them to make a purchase, so saving a PayPal login item is incredibly useful. And of course you can always use tags to group related items (say, PayPal, Visa Checkout, MasterPass, etc.) I hope this helps! :)

• williamcohen
    williamcohen
    Community Member

At first you seem to say: "the answer just No, we don't have a method yet for saving PayPal log-in information."

Is that correct?

I couldn't follow your sentences afterwards--I'm sorry, I may be brain-dead today.

PayPal does "acs" like a credit card of course when you make purchases.

If 1Password doesn't have a method yet to allow users to to use PayPal for shopping, I hope you can then add this in a future update.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @williamcohen,

Our Credit Card category is based on the traditional credit card where if you need a credit card to fill we expect to see very particular fields. A payment screen would typically ask for

• The long card number.
    • The name of the account holder.
    • The expiry date.
    • The CVV number.

and we need a way for this to fill not on just one site but in general. So we have a bunch of rules set up precisely to look for very specific fields and we also never submit after filling a Login item. Even knowing we're looking for such clearly defined fields getting filling right is tricky at times due to the vast variability out there.

Now the PayPal I know is where you log into their website and you authorise a purchase. In this sense PayPal is a Login item. I believe one or two sites these days now use an IFrame to present a window onto the PayPal site but one where you're still visiting the site you want to buy something from. I haven't used eBay for some time now but I believe they're a good example where they pop up a pseudo window but you're still on the eBay site. Sadly we can't fill these right now because when we ask the website for the URL of the open page it tells us ebay.com, not PayPal. We do want to do better here but we need to be careful as the last thing we want to accidentally do is fill anything to do with your PayPal account anywhere it shouldn't be.

Does this help at all? It may be PayPal are doing something new that I haven't seen and so I'm missing the point of the question and you can help clear up any confusion I have on this :smile:

• williamcohen
    williamcohen
    Community Member

Yes, this helps. In short, this means 1Password can't handle PayPal right now.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @williamcohen,

If the site is showing PayPal within an IFrame from inside their own page then yes, filling won't work while copy and paste will. We want to be very careful here as filling inside an IFrame using an item for a site that differs from the main should't be taken lightly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

Yes, this helps. In short, this means 1Password can't handle PayPal right now.

@williamcohen: It sounds like there may simply be some misunderstanding here, as I use PayPal regularly and use 1Password to fill my PayPal login credentials, as mentioned above, which allows me to select a payment method saved within my PayPal account to make a purchase. The only part of this that would involve 1Password in any way is logging into the PayPal account.

Perhaps lil bobby is correct that you're having trouble because the PayPal login form is being presented as part of another website, which would mean that 1Password won't offer to fill your PayPal login at a non-paypal.com URL, since that's how phishing scams work: you're asked for your login credentials so someone else can get them and use them to defraud you.

However, while it's certainly happened in the past, I will say that I can't remember the last time that using PayPal during the checkout process for another site was done on the shopping site itself; rather, there's usually a PayPal option, which takes me directly to PayPal's website to login and

As an example, earlier I bought some stuff from Uniqlo. During the checkout process, I'm given the option to pay directly using a credit card or use PayPal — two buttons.

Clicking the credit card button takes me to a page to provide the actual card information; whereas the PayPal button takes me directly to the PayPal website to login (which is of course where 1Password comes in handy) and choose the source of funds, etc.

Maybe that helps illustrate my description above. It's obscured slightly by the 1Password browser extension, but the website I'm on a that point is PayPal's, not Uniqlo's, as evidenced by the "PayPal, Inc." in the address bar, for PayPal's EV certificate.

So while I'm able to use 1Password to login to my PayPal account to make purchases, unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be the trouble in your case. Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, are you having trouble with specific sites? If you're having trouble with specific sites in a specific browser with a specific version of 1Password and its extension, be sure to include that information — especially the exact URL and where in the process you're encountering the issue. Thanks in advance! :)

• williamcohen
    williamcohen
    Community Member

OMG you're right! I used PayPal previously while having "Dashlane" turned on. The PayPal credentials
    were copied automatically into 1password--both my personal PayPal and business Paypal. Forgive me,
    I must be brain-dead this week/month! Thank you so much for this follow-up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey, no problem! I'm glad it wasn't something worse than a simple misunderstanding. It's the weekend after all, so give your brain a break! We're here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.