How would I access my account from a public computer in another place (city, state, country)?

Options
mef039
mef039
Community Member

I am new to 1Password. Just started the 30 day trial and am trying to evaluate if this password keeper is what I want. I normally carry around a little address book with passwords when traveling. How would I have access to 1Password via a public computer that did not have the app installed? If I go to 1Password.com and try to sign in, it asks for a "Sign-in address". I click on "Don't know your sign-in address?" and it takes me to a screen asking for my email. I enter my 1Password account email and it takes me back to the first screen that has a fill in box to the left of another box with ".1password.com" already filled in. I put the beginning of my email address (before the @) into the fill in box and this takes me to a screen that asks for my Email, Account Key, and Master Password. So it looks like the Account Key is a part of the Emergency Kit. Is that correct? Do single accounts have Emergency Kits or is it just Family/Team accounts? Would having this Account Key actually get me into my passwords from a public computer?
Thank You

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How would I access my account from a public computer in another place (city, state, country)?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mef039,

I'm happy to hear you're trying out 1Password! Thanks for writing in with your question about accessing your data from another computer. I'm sorry you ran into some confusion on 1Password.com, but I'll be glad to explain all that.

The first thing to know is that there are actually a couple different ways you can use 1Password: you can purchase a license for the standalone app(s), or you can sign up for a 1Password for Teams or 1Password Families subscription. (We have free trials for each.) If you're using 1Password for Mac as a standalone app (i.e. you didn't sign up for a Teams/Families subscription) then you don't have an account with us, so you won't be able to sign in on 1Password.com.

On the other hand, if you sign up for a Teams/Families subscription, your data is hosted on our secure servers, which means you would have a 1Password account and can therefore access your data from 1Password.com on any computer. A Teams/Families subscriptions allows you to use our 1Password apps on all supported platforms without needing to purchase separate licenses for them (i.e. the apps are free if you have a Teams/Families subscription). It sounds like you're using a trial of the 1Password for Mac app and didn't sign up for a Teams/Families subscription, but if I'm wrong about that and you did sign up for a subscription, please let us know and we can help you to sign into your account on 1Password.com.

In short, if you want to be able to access your 1Password data from a web browser on any computer, you'll want to sign up for a Teams/Families subscription (1Password for Families is for personal use, so you'd want that - even if you're using it as an individual).

I hope this helps clear up some confusion about that, but if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're always happy to help! :)

• dougberman
    dougberman
    Community Member
    Options

More on this topic. Is the thought that I need to carry around the master key in my wallet? What if I work from shared office space from city to city. There may be 50 computers at each location, am I to carry a slip of paper with the master key? I'm still trying to wrap my head around the use of families and remote access.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dougberman,

This article will help you understand better what the account key is and why it's so important: https://support.1password.com/understanding-account-key/.

If you have a mobile device, for example a smartphone, you can use it to carry your account key with you securely. If you add your account to that device then you always have your account key in your pocket with you!

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.