Where is the 1Password vault stored in my home directory?

jlmuir
jlmuir
Community Member

Hello!

I have a Time Machine backup of my home directory. I am temporarily using another computer while my primary computer is being fixed, and I need to be able to use my 1Password vault on the temporary computer. Where is the vault stored such that I could copy it from my Time Machine backup to my temporary computer?

I cannot find any files in the Time Machine backup of my home directory ending in .agilekeychain, .opvault, nor .1p4_zip. I did not have any syncing turned on. I'm not sure if I had any folder syncing or backups turned on in 1Password.

I'm aware of Elsewhere on your Mac in the guide, but it doesn't answer my question.

I purchased 1Password through the App Store.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jlmuir,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! 1Password for Mac automatically saves backups of your data, so I'm sure we can help you find those in Time Machine.

If you were using the Mac App Store version of 1Password on your primary Mac, your 1Password backups would have been in this location:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

Please note the ~ indicates your Mac user folder, which is located in Macintosh HD/Users/. Mac OS X hides the ~/Library/ folder by default, so it can be a little tricky to find it in Time Machine unless you had unhidden it at some point. I'm not sure if that's the reason you've had trouble finding your 1Password backups in Time Machine, but thought I'd mention it as a possibility.

You should be able to follow these steps to find your 1Password backups in Time Machine:

• In the Finder, click the Go menu and select Go to Folder
    • Copy and paste (or type) the following line into the Go to the folder field: ~/Library/
    • Click the Go button (this should open your username/Library folder)
    • Now click the Time Machine icon in your Mac's menu bar, and select Enter Time Machine
    • Using the up/down arrows next to the open window in Time Machine, go back to the date that should have the backups
    • In the Library folder (which should be open), navigate to the following location:

/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

Are you able to find that? If so, it should contain backup files ending in ".1p4_zip". You can restore one or more of those backup files, or the entire Backups folder.

Please let us know how it goes. If you run into any trouble, just let us know exactly what happens, and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• jlmuir
    jlmuir
    Community Member

Hi, @Drew_AG!

Bingo! That worked! Thanks a million!

FWIW, Spotlight didn't find anything matching 1p4_zip. Maybe this is because a Time Machine backup on an external drive is not indexed even when the drive is mounted as a regular drive (i.e. not configured in Time Machine as the backup drive)? I was also searching from the command line using the find command, but that didn't find anything because I mistakenly only searched the ~/Documents directory of the backup. find was able to find the .1p4_zip files once I made it look in the ~/Library directory of the backup.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@jlmuir on behalf of @Drew_AG, you're welcome! Thanks for providing the additional info, too. I'm sure it will come in handy if anyone else finds themselves in the same position.

This discussion has been closed.