1Password opens two browser tabs with "Open & Fill"

LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member
edited May 2016 in Mac

This never used to happen, but when I use "Open & Fill" 1Password goes to the login page but opens two tabs to do so. The first tab is always my startup page, which is my favorites (topsites://), and the second page is the actual login page. The login page tab is always in focus and 1Password does login correctly, but then I have to close the extra (Favorites) tab. Is there a fix for this? Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @LarryMcJ ,

That might be due to a browser setting. Can you try the following:

1. Open the Terminal application (in /Applications/Utilities)
    2. Enter the command open https://1password.com and press return

Does it open two tabs or just one? If two, it likely means it's a setting with your web browser. Please let us know either way and we can investigate further.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

It only opens one browser tab.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@LarryMcJ,

• Do two tabs open only when your browser is starting from a closed state? Or do two tabs open even when Safari is already open with several tabs?
    • Do you have 1Password set to open URLs in current tab, new tab, or new window? I presume "new tab", but I just want to verify that.

• Could you post a screenshot of Safari's General preferences? Here is my own as an example:

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Two tabs open whether Safari is completely closed or running. I never keep multiple tabs open so 1Password opens two tabs from wherever I am when I click on an "Open and Fill".

1Password is set to open URLs in the current tab. Below is a screenshot of Safari's general preference tab. Yes, I know I have it configured to open new windows and new tabs with Favorites, but that is the behavior I want. That shouldn't have any effect on 1Password, which should simply open a URL in whichever tab is currently in focus.

• @LarryMcJ Thanks for the details! What version of Safari are you using? I'm on version 9.1 and I don't have a "Safari opens with" preference at the top of mine, not an option for simply "Favorites" in the new windows and tabs dropdown menus so I can't test this out exactly as you have it.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

I'm also using v9.1, which according to Apple is the most latest. Please note that earlier in this thread khad posted a screenshot of Safari General Preferences and he also has a "Safari opens with" field.

Additionally, I looked on my rMBP and my wife's iMac, both completely up to date with El Capitan and Safari and they have identical General Preferences. And it might help to know the problem exists on both my rMBP and 1Password on my wife's iMac.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

I have determined the problem, but it isn't solved. If "Empty Page" is in the "New window opens with" field, then 1Password opens only one page as it should. But this also stops me (or any user) from defining what Safari should open. If I want Safari to open with "Homepage" (or any selection from the drop-down menu other than "empty page") then I again get two tabs when clicking on "Open and fill".

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@LarryMcJ,

This is very curious. I can't seem to reproduce the problem. I don't see anything specific in the release notes, but I am wondering if this is something that got resolved as part of some other changes in the latest betas. Would you be willing to test by installing the beta versions of the 1Password app and the 1Password extension?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

I'll try the betas, khad, but if they don't solve the problem can I go back to the MAS release version of 1Password?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LarryMcJ,

If you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, you would need to switch to the AgileBits version of 1Password in order to enable beta builds. You can switch back after testing if you’d prefer.

This discussion has been closed.