Suggested Enhancements to 1Password

joisagile
joisagile
Community Member

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to make some suggestions for future versions of 1Password.

1. Some sites require special characters but don't allow all special characters to be used, just a subset. Might be nice to have the option where user can select (or even type in) the acceptable special characters when generating a new password.
  2. It would be great to store the password rules for each login such as maximum length and special characters permitted. This would simplify the process to change passwords. Easier process might keep users from making excuses not to change passwords periodically.
  3. Some of my logins are not that important to me. The information protected by the password/login is not confidential. Other logins such as banks protect important information and transactional capabilities. Need a means to differentiate the two in Watchtower, because changing passwords is time consuming. Need to focus on the most important ones.
  4. Many times 1Password does not capture the fact that a password has been changed. Need to manually change password in the login record. Would be nice to have a clickable button that "changes password to the one stored in clipboard". Of course, there should be a confirmation pop-up box before 1Password makes the change.
  5. I like keeping information in Secure Notes. Would be nice to have minimal text formatting: font size, bold, bulleted/numbered lists, and indents.
  6. When documents are added to secure notes, it usually means I want them password protected. It would be nice if 1Password could be configured in preferences to give the user a choice of 1) keep original, 2) ask if original should be permanently deleted, or 3) permanently delete original without asking or confirmation.

Thanks for considering my suggestions.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

@joisagile: First of all, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and suggestions for making 1Password better! I apologize in advance for not going into great detail on all of your points, but I wanted to focus on the ones that were new (to me) and therefore most interesting. Suffice to say that more granular password generator control, flexible notes, and better updating are things we'll continue to consider. I only wish that we had the resources to implement every good idea!

3 Some of my logins are not that important to me. The information protected by the password/login is not confidential. Other logins such as banks protect important information and transactional capabilities. Need a means to differentiate the two in Watchtower, because changing passwords is time consuming. Need to focus on the most important ones.

While I'm not quote sure how we might accomplish this, that's a really cool concept! You're absolutely correct that some accounts are more critical than others, so prioritizing would be helpful. Depending on your situation, if there are a dozen or so key accounts you can identify, perhaps using tags and or/saved searches could help with this. You could add a specific tag to them, and then use Show Search Options to create a custom search to weed these out:

6 When documents are added to secure notes, it usually means I want them password protected. It would be nice if 1Password could be configured in preferences to give the user a choice of 1) keep original, 2) ask if original should be permanently deleted, or 3) permanently delete original without asking or confirmation.

I'm intrigued, but I'm not sure I fully understand what you're trying to do here. Do you mean editing attachments, or automatically deleting the original file when you add it as an attachment? Personally, I think something like that with a secure erase would be great...but unfortunately there isn't a way to reliably overwrite data on SSDs. Let me know what you think! :)

• joisagile
    joisagile
    Community Member

I recognize that you have to prioritize development. If it was me, I would be focusing on those enhancements that are important to the most potential new users or providing meaningful differentiation from the competition. It is really great that someone always from AgileBits responded to my posts and one of the reasons I am a big fan of 1Password.

In response to your questions...

Regarding the critical logins... Just to put it in perspective, we have over 170 logins. You can probably imagine how much time it would take to change passwords for all. I was thinking that there would be an option similar to "Favorites" where you simply click on an icon to include it in a list of critical passwords that I want to be sure to change on a regular basis. The list of critical logins could appear in Watchtower. In the meantime, I'll use a tag as you suggested.

Regarding documents added to secure notes... I was thinking that securely erasing (or at least placing them in the Trash) after adding document to a secure note for the first time. However, as you mentioned in your response, it would also be great to edit an existing document in the a secure note without having to save and reattach it.

Thanks for your response. Keep up the great work on 1Password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much for your additional feedback & suggestions, we really appreciate it! We're always listening to what our users would like and looking into ways to improve our user experience, so it helps to hear requests like these.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.