My MacBook Pro freezes after change to Family Plan

Thrane
Thrane
Community Member

Yesterday i decided to move my log-ins from the Dropbox sync to the Family Plan. As soon as I had done this the 1Password app has started freezing constantly. I can usually lock in and see my passwords for a few seconds before it freezes and I get the beach ball loading constantly. It even gets so bad that I can't use my MacBook Pro at all and have to force it to shut down. I've tried to delete the app including all associated files several times and the reinstall it from either the Mac store or from your website. But the result is the same every single time.

Comments

• Hi @Thrane,

I'm sorry for the trouble this has caused. We should be able to get you back up and running quickly, but first, we need to know something. Can you try logging on to your 1Password families account with a web browser. Can you confirm that all of your items have been moved into your Families account?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• Thrane
    Thrane
    Community Member

Hi @ag_kevin

Yes all of my items has already been moved to the Families account.

• Hi @Thrane,

I think the best thing to do now is reset your local data and since everything is moved to your families account, just re-add the families account and not your previous "local" vaults. Here's what I'd like you to do:

1. Make sure your 1Password Families emergency kit is handy, or that you are logged into the account in your web browser.
    2. If 1Password is running Quit 1Password by holding down the control key while selecting Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu. Basically make sure the app and the menu icon is not running.
    3. Go to the following locations and remove the Data folders. You can move them to the desktop for now.
      ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/
      ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/
    4. Launch 1Password and it will ask to set up as new. Select the option to Sign in to a Teams (or Families) account. At this point, if you are logged into your account in your web browser, choose "Get the Apps" from the popup menu on the upper right corner of the page. Switch back to 1Password and move the QR Code scanner on top of the QR code displayed on the web page. The other option is to click "Sign In Manually" and enter your credentials from your emergency kit.

That should add all of your items back from your Families account. If the freezing happens again, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com. Also please include the date and time the freeze occurred.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Thrane
    Thrane
    Community Member

@ag_kevin
    I've looked for the two files as you said on those folders, but I don't have a folder named Containers and I don't have any file under ApplicationSupport named 1Password4. I'm currently on a OS 10.11.4 and had the newest version of 1Password installed. I will send the diagnostic report if you can confirm there isn't any other way to solve this.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Thrane ,

Depending on whether you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store, your data will be stored in one of these two locations. (You can confirm where you purchased 1Password by checking in the 1Password menu and selecting ‘About 1Password’.)

Mac App Store

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

AgileBits Store

~/Library/Application Support/1Password\ 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

If you’re not finding any 1Password data in the Application support folder, I suspect that you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, which would mean your data is stored in that Containers folder. The Containers folder is a system file, so it should exist no matter what. Is your Library folder hidden?

I will send the diagnostic report if you can confirm there isn't any other way to solve this.

I’d like to see if resetting 1Password works before sending in that Report. However, if you’re still having difficulty finding your data file, the Report will tell us where to look. :)

• Thrane
    Thrane
    Community Member

Support ID number: #QUX-27928-716

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @Thrane! We received your Diagnostics Report, and I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there.

ref: QUX-27928-716

• graemesonline
    graemesonline
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

My iMac was doing the exact same thing. Web and mini worked fine but the full app locked up my whole computer every time. This fixed it temporarily until all my icons loaded and it crashed again!

• Hi @Thrane,

I've contacted you via email and we can take it from there.

@graemesonline , these types of crashes may appear the same, but they could be vastly different "under the hood." If you could follow the instructions above and send us a report as well, we'll have a look and help you get back up and running as soon as possible.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• crobinson
    crobinson
    Community Member

Also having the exact same issue!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @crobinson,

I’ve replied in the other thread that you posted, but just to close this loop as well, Kevin’s reply above contains the best solution for you:

If all of your data is in your 1Password Families account, reset the app as Kevin describes.

If you’re still in the process of migrating your data, skip the reset steps and just send us a Diagnostics Report. :)

• crobinson
    crobinson
    Community Member

Thanks Megan, resetting the app worked.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Megan, you're most welcome! I'm glad to hear that solved the problem.

We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.