Can you configure where backup files are saved?

daniels
daniels
Community Member

Is it possible to set a custom path where backups are made?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016

Good question @daniels! There's no way to change the backup location in 1Password for Mac, but you can manually duplicate the backups to another folder by following these instructions:

Although it's not possible to change the backup location in 1Password 4 and higher, it's actually very easy to copy those backups somewhere else. Just open the main 1Password app and go to File > Backup, then click Show Files. That will open the folder containing your backup files, and you can copy those wherever you want.

I hope that helps!

And here's an explanation, from this thread, about why we set it up this way:

With 1Password 3, we saw far too many cases of missing backups: backups would get moved to an external drive and then the drive would become disconnected, and 1Password would be unable to write fresh backups. In cases where our solution to an issue was restoring to a backup, a user could be left without access to their data ... and that’s a situation we want to avoid at all costs.

So, the decision was made in 1Password 4 to make the backup location unchangeable.

• daniels
    daniels
    Community Member

Can this be added as a feature in the future? Maybe not really move the backups but more like sync the backups to some other place (in my case I would do it on iCloud Drive or DropBox by just using the local path to the folder representing the iCloud Drive or Dropbox in my Mac - so sync backups with a folder would work)

I'm afraid I will forget to copy the backup when I reinstall OSX (as I like to do a fresh install each year a new OSX version is released) and I will loose all my data.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@daniels I'll keep my eye out for similar requests. In the meantime, as long as you're backing up the data on your Mac whenever you do a clean install, you should still have your 1Password backups. And if you aren't backing up all your data before you do a clean install I'd recommend getting in that habit; all kinds of wonky things can happen during operating system upgrades and it's better to be safe than sorry! (I'm guessing you already knew that but I figured it's worth repeating in case anyone else does clean installs without backing up.)

:)

This discussion has been closed.