Tag contents of entire subfolders in folder

Nolan1nt3raktive
Nolan1nt3raktive
Community Member

I've been using 1Password desktop for several years and have amassed thousands of logins/passwords organized by folder into many subfolders. Is there an easy way to tag all of the items, in all of the subfolders, so that I can import them into 1Password for teams?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.14
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Nolan1nt3raktive,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. And thanks for your longtime support of 1Password. :)

When you add a tag to an item, it will show up in the sidebar. Then you can drag as many items as you want onto that tag to apply that tag to all the items. So, the part that may not be obvious is that you would need to manually edit the first item and add the tag in order for it to show up in the sidebar. Then it's just drag and drop. :+1:

Hope that helps. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

• Nolan1nt3raktive
    Nolan1nt3raktive
    Community Member

I'll give that a try, hopefully it will work with a folder/subfolder/items structure ;)

• Nolan1nt3raktive
    Nolan1nt3raktive
    Community Member

Doesn't seem to be an easy way to accomplish this. Here's how I've been storing secure items...

parent_folder/
    (there's nothing in the parent except child folders)
    -- child_folder01/
    ---- login_item
    ---- secure_note
    -- child_folder02
    ---- login_item
    ---- secure_note
    -- child_folder03
    ---- login_item
    ---- secure_note
    -- child_folder04
    ---- login_item
    ---- secure_note

I guess my question is, when selecting the parent folder nothing appears in the main 1Password window to select. To select a specific login item or secure note I need to open every subfolder in which they exist and edit each one, correct? There's no way to select items in all subfolders?

The only reason I'm even asking is because I have thousands of items organized this way.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

That's correct, @Nolan1nt3raktive. Viewing and selecting items in folders is not recursive. You will only see the items in the specific folder you are viewing.

• Nolan1nt3raktive
    Nolan1nt3raktive
    Community Member

I thought so. I attempted to use the search function's folder filter to select all child items under the parent folder, including items in the subfolders. But it only filters for the selected parent...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@Nolan1nt3raktive,

Yeah, no matter how deeply they are nested, each folder is treated as a discrete container. Thankfully, you should only need to do the migration from folders to tags once, and there is no hurry. You can do a few items here and there over the course of a few weeks or months until it is all complete. Then you will have the extra flexibility that comes with using tags, like being able to add multiple tags to a single item.

One example that I use myself is to tag all my Login items for recurring bills with the bills tag. Then I tag each of those with either credit or checking, so I know which method of payment I used for autopay. And I can still add tags for other taxonomies I may have as well: personal, work, etc. Tags are pretty great once you get going with them. :)

• Nolan1nt3raktive
    Nolan1nt3raktive
    Community Member

Yep. That's exactly what I'll be doing, thanks @khad ;)

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

On Khad's behalf, you are welcome! Let us know if there's anything else we can help with 8-)

This discussion has been closed.