Prompted to sign in to my Apple ID for iCloud in my browser (URL: idmsa.apple.com)

Options

Comments

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew. I did Steps 1 - 3 and that did not resolve the Safari stickiness. I did notice before performing Step 2 that 1Password showed it had sync'd 11 minutes prior. So I am assuming the sync is in fact working. However I did perform Steps 1-3 anyway. Safari stayed stuck. Per your instructions, I performed Steps 1 and 2 and powered down. Upon rebooting I launched 1Passowrd and turned on iCloud sync. The spinner is still spinning.

None of this surprises me. Apple in general has noticeably degraded, both HW and especially SW over the past couple of years. We'll probably have to await Apple to push a patch, with the fix for this on their schedule, it ever.

• mecutler
    mecutler
    Community Member
    Options

Recently I started getting a daily notice that my iCloud session has expired and I must enter my iCloud password to continue 1Password syncing. Is this normal? Can I change a setting to stop this - it is becoming a nuisance.

1Password Version: 6.3
    Extension Version: 4.5.6
    OS Version: 10.11.5
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:iCloud asks for password daily to sync 1password

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RickCunn,

Thanks for trying that and letting us know how it turned out. Sorry it didn't help! After replying to you, I noticed a couple other customers have mentioned a similar problem. When you get to that point in Safari, if you check the 1Password sync preferences, does iCloud sync appear to be enabled and working? If so, are you able to simply close the sign-in window in Safari? Or does the spinner prevent you from doing that? (I'm not sure if by "spinner" you mean the OS X spinning beach ball, or the symbol indicating the web page is loading something.)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rekanix and @dcrehr,

I've merged your messages with another forum discussion about the same problem. I'm sorry you're also running into this!

Please check out my previous response and/or other posts in this thread for information about this issue. In short, make sure you've installed the update for 1Password 6.3 to take care of part of the problem. You might still be asked to sign in more frequently than usual because the login tokens that allow 1Password to sync with your iCloud account have been getting expired several times in the past couple days (it's not something we control but our developers are trying to work with Apple to find out why it's happening).

If you're also running into a problem where you sign into your iCloud account but it never seems to complete, please check the sync preferences in 1Password to make sure iCloud is enabled and seems to be working, then you can close the sign-in window in your browser.

If you have more questions about this, please let us know!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi @mecutler,

I merged your message with another thread about the same problem. I'm sorry you're running into this too! Please take a look at my previous replies and/or other posts here for more information. If you have additional questions about that, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @maximus434,

I hope you don't mind, but I merged your post with this existing thread about the same issues. My previous replies (as well as other comments in this discussion) should explain what's going on. In short, there are a couple problems, and you can solve one of them by installing the update for 1Password 6.3 (that fixes the bug which causes the sign-in window to keep opening over and over rapidly).

The other problem is that, even with version 6.3, you might be asked to sign into your Apple ID once or twice a day, which appears to be because the token 1Password uses to sync with your iCloud account is getting expired multiple times over the last few days. We don't have control over that, although our developers are trying to work with Apple to determine why the token is being expired so frequently.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! If you need more help with that or have questions, we're here for you. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lynn,

I hope you don't mind, but I moved your post to another thread where we've been discussing an issue that seems more closely related to the problem you described. There are a few different issues related to this: The token used by 1Password to sign into your iCloud account has been expired several times over the past few days, a bug in 1Password 6.2.1 caused the sign-in page to open repeatedly each time the token expired, and the sign-in page keeps showing a spinning icon and never seems to complete.

Please make sure you've installed the 1Password 6.3 update so the sign-in page doesn't rapidly keep opening when the token is expired. After that, when you need to sign in again, if the symbol keeps spinning on that site, check the sync preferences in 1Password to see if iCloud seems to be enabled and working - if so, you should be able to close out of that window in your browser.

Does that help at all? Our developers are trying to find out more about why the login token keeps expiring, but if you have any other questions about these issues, please let us know. Thanks! :)

• Lynn
    Lynn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,
    Thanks of the response. I’m sure this is driving you guys crazy.
    I snagged the 6.3 update.
    Another weird thing happened on the wife’s Mac. When I did the sync on/off for iCloud I received an alert that there were two vaults, one current and one from 2013. Prompt for main password and then merged them. Guess that’s ok?
    Also when I check out iCloud drive, I see two instances of the 1Password mini.app, What’s that about? No biggie just wondering..
    Thanks Again
    Lynn

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member
    Options

Drew

I checked and yes, the iCloud sync appears to be working. And yes I can close the Safari sign-in window. By spinner I mean a small gray open circle, and not the beach ball. My take is that everything is working as it should, but the Safari page won't load. And I can log in to iCloud.com.

Rick

• lancescs
    lancescs
    Community Member
    Options

running IOS 10.11.5 (15F34), Safari opens by itself and asks to sign in to 1 Password Manager and Secure Wallet. It is very intrusive and keeps on opening tabs. I suspect intrusion or a virus. I am running 1Password 6.02. Please helpmeet out

1Password Version: 6.02
    OS Version: 10.11.5
    Referrer: forum-search:running IOS 10.11.5 (15F34), Safari opens by itself and asks to sign in to 1 Password Manager and Secure Wallet. It is very intrusive and keeps on opening tabs. Please advise

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lancescs,

I merged your post (and some there threads for this same issue) into a single thread so we can keep the discussion in one place. The first thing I'd recommend is to update to 1Password 6.3

However, as Drew mentioned in his post above:

There are a few different issues related to this: The token used by 1Password to sign into your iCloud account has been expired several times over the past few days, a bug in 1Password 6.2.1 caused the sign-in page to open repeatedly each time the token expired, and the sign-in page keeps showing a spinning icon and never seems to complete.

Please make sure you've installed the 1Password 6.3 update so the sign-in page doesn't rapidly keep opening when the token is expired. After that, when you need to sign in again, if the symbol keeps spinning on that site, check the sync preferences in 1Password to see if iCloud seems to be enabled and working - if so, you should be able to close out of that window in your browser.

Does that help at all? Our developers are trying to find out more about why the login token keeps expiring, but if you have any other questions about these issues, please let us know. Thanks! :)

• Maumnentum
    Maumnentum
    Community Member
    Options

When ever I attempt to login to iCloud, to use mail I am then redirected to an Apple page, not sure of the URL but it shows the apple icon in the upper left had corner, might be something to do with my attempts to sign up to Apple Developer environment in my attempt to create an iCloud shortcut button for Safari, but it does not allow me to use the 1Password Safari login feature, also there remains the notice that i have not purchased the desktop version, but this is very expensive so am waiting for a massive discount code before I can afford it, I would not think this would have anything to do with it though?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:redirect to apple login page

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Maumnentum,

Using 1Password in trial mode is not related to this. Please see my post above for more details:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/308450/#Comment_308450

• tbux
    tbux
    Community Member
    Options

I am regularly getting the following message on my MacBook Pro "iCloud Session Expired" (need to sign in with your Apple ID, etc.) I then sign in. Then the same or next day I receive the same message. Sometimes I will then get the message “iCloud Connection Successful”.

Parenthetically, when I sign in all I see is a blank page with a “spinning gear”.

I have followed your support article “Sync with iCloud · 1Password 6 for Mac”

While I can't be certain, I believe this started to happen sometime after I updated to OS X10.11.5 with the combo updater.

Additionally I have a huge amount of bandwidth and a rock solid internet connection.

1Password Version: 6.3
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
    Referrer: forum-search:iCloud Synch

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tbux,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

I merged your post with the existing thread for this issue. Please see my post above for more details:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/308450/#Comment_308450

• david_schwan
    david_schwan
    Community Member
    Options

I am seeing same issue. It seems once a day I need to login with my appleid. Just started this week. Not sure why.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@david_schwan,

That is what we are seeing as well. The devs are talking to Apple to find out what the issue might be with the tokens expiring daily. Sincere apologies for the trouble. We hope to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible — whether that's something on Apple's end or our own.

We really appreciate your patience.

• chrlswtt
    chrlswtt
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I'm still getting the message that my token has expired and to login with my Apple ID. I followed the fix instructions but it seems to only last about a day. One other issue is, after signing in, a new screen appears displaying Signing In with a grey pinwheel that never completes (see attachment)

• rkbaker48
    rkbaker48
    Community Member
    Options

It's me again. Just wanted to let everybody know that, now on Day 4 of the Apple iCloud Authentication Token Expiration issue, I was prompted to sign in again to iCloud when I first tried to use 1Password. I will continue to hope that the issue gets resolved soon.

• desertman
    desertman
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting the same "iCloud Session Expired" message after each restart in at least one of my browsers (Firefox, Safari, Chrome) since updating to 6.3 (Agilebits store version). The suggested solution from nmott of May 25 does not help for more than the rest of the session. This is very annoying.

If there is a working solution - why is it not posted as a sticky at the top of this forum?

If there is no solution - when will there be one?

• desertman
    desertman
    Community Member
    Options

PS: Even if there is no working solution - why is there no notice about this posted as a sticky at the top of this forum? I also have to say that I find it quite annoying that Agilebits - as usual - points to Apple as the guilty part. Since this happens only since updating to 6.3 I find it ridiculous not to admit that this has to do with 1Password itself.

• karmagal
    karmagal
    Community Member
    Options

thanks so much nmott....this was driving me nuts...

• SDoherty
    SDoherty
    Community Member
    Options

I just had to sign in, again.

• WayneS
    WayneS
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem, did all the steps, but the system just seems to hang on this: (using Firefox Browser). Help!

• foresme
    foresme
    Community Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Same problem here. Following the steps only works temporarily but it looks like staff is aware of that.

Easiest fix for this: switch syncing to Dropbox. It's free. It's pretty secure.

Since I can only sync one vault via iCloud it's kind of silly to use anyhow. I have Work and Family vaults on Dropbox I may as well put my personal Primary vault on it to.

• bce
    bce
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. logged into icloud about 10 times now in the last 3 days. even disabled sync and re-enabled. no luck.
    this is really really annoying. you need to fix this asap.

for context, i work in IT. icloud sync/authentication isnt working correctly. this isnt user error.

• phototristan
    phototristan
    Community Member
    Options

This did not fix anything. It still keeps prompting every time I wake my Mac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@desertman: This issue does not only affect 6.3...but it's much more annoying with earlier versions, since it spawns multiple new windows/tabs. :dizzy:

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience that having to re-authenticate with iCloud periodically is causing everyone. Fortunately it won't affect other apps since (so far) only 1Password from the AgileBits Store uses Apple's new CloudKitJS framework, so there aren't any other apps that need to authenticate with iCloud in this way. We're pursuing this with Apple to see what the solution might be. Thanks for your patience! :blush:

This discussion has been closed.