Generated password saved to primary vault i.s.o. selected vault

ericvr
ericvr
Community Member

Hi guys,

First of all, I love 1password and have been using it for a few years now. I bought the family license for the 1Password applications for Mac/Windows/IOS. This week I finally convinced my wife to start using it and I've setup a second vault on my Mac. I've been playing a bit with it to see how to best cope with a second vault and I've encountered behaviour that is different than I expect.
When I unlock 1Password with the Primary password (so both vaults are accessible), select the secondary vault in the Safari 1Password extension and generate a password, this password is not saved to the selected secondary vault (my wife's vault), but to the primary vault. I would have expected this to be saved to the secondary vault. Is this designed behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

Next thing I did was try to unlock 1Password using my wife's password, so only her vault would be unlocked, but that does not work. When I use her password to unlock, 1Password does the wobbly thing and the lock turns red telling me I used the wrong password. Could you tell me how to best cope with 2 people using their own vaults?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@ericvr it sounds like a few different things are at play here.

When I unlock 1Password with the Primary password (so both vaults are accessible), select the secondary vault in the Safari 1Password extension and generate a password, this password is not saved to the selected secondary vault (my wife's vault), but to the primary vault. I would have expected this to be saved to the secondary vault. Is this designed behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

1Password saves generated passwords to whatever vault is specified in 1Password > Preferences > All Vaults > Vault for Saving. You could change this to the vault your wife uses, but that could quickly become frustrating if you save an item you want in your vault.

Next thing I did was try to unlock 1Password using my wife's password, so only her vault would be unlocked, but that does not work. When I use her password to unlock, 1Password does the wobbly thing and the lock turns red telling me I used the wrong password. Could you tell me how to best cope with 2 people using their own vaults?

1Password unlocks with the Master Password used to encrypt the first vault connected to it. In your case that's the Primary vault created when you started using 1Password. Your wife cannot unlock 1Password to access her vault without entering your Master Password first.

Could you tell me how to best cope with 2 people using their own vaults?

Unfortunately the way 1Password is currently designed means you'll have to deal with these frustrations if you want your wife to have a vault on your Mac. Another option would be to get her set up with 1Password on her own profile on your device, or on her own device. That's more costly but it would allow her to use 1Password without causing these little headaches for you when you try to do the same.

• ericvr
    ericvr
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. Clear answers, thanks! I did not know about the preferences setting for saving, so that explains it.

w.r.t. coping with 2 people and our own vaults. I'll try a few things to see what works best. We are currently using the same profile on our mac, using separate profiles as you suggest might be a solution here as well, we'll see. b.t.w. I don't mind my wife having access to my vault, I do mind getting my vault cluttered with things that belong to her vault ;-)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of nmott, you're very welcome! I'm glad his information was helpful. If you ever need help or have more questions about 1Password, please don't hesitate to ask - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.