Additional vaults accessible by inputting Primary Vault password

s4nji
s4nji
Community Member

I just created a new vault on my second macbook and I plan to primarily use this vault in this macbook, let's call it the Second Vault.

I have set the option "Always open to" in the General tab to the Second Vault, and checked only the Second Vault in the All Vaults tab.

Then I tried killed 1Password and launched it again, just to test things out.

Surprisingly, I cannot get through the 1Password password-input window with the password set to the Second Vault. However, entering the Primary Vault password unlocks the app and shows the contents of the Second Vault, despite not inputting the password of the Second Vault

I'm quite sure I have set everything correctly. Do I have to delete the primary vault in the second machine to force 1P to use the second vault?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger
    Community Member

Hey @s4nji,

Good News: You are doing everything correctly and all is working as it should.

The password you create for a specific Vault is only for encrypting the Vault. You will still use your Master Password to access 1Password.

If you are not going to share the Vault with anyone else it is recommended that you use your Master Password for the Vault password.

Unlocking your primary vault will grant access to all vaults, but anyone you share the vault with will need to know the vault's Master Password to access it.

The User Guide goes into
    https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/create-a-new-vault.html

• Thanks for the assist, Roger! To summarize, what Roger said is correct. The "Always open to" preference is to set what vault is displayed after unlocking 1Password with your Master Password, it does not govern what password is used to unlock 1Password.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.