el capitan iMac, an el capitan macbook, an iPhone6 and iPad -laptop no longer syncs

wrighax
wrighax
Community Member

I used to use wireless sync with a secret code to sync my iphone/ipad to the iMac and to the macbook. Now the iMac syncs easily with both the phone and the iPad and it doesn't even ask for the secret code; but when I try to sync my laptop with any of the three it doesn't work. On the macbook when I choose wifi sync it shows a secret code. When I open up the iPhone and say sync now -it either wants to sync to the desk top (or if I turn the desktop off, it just doesn't seem to sync and the iPhone never asks for the secret code.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:problem sync desktop, laptop, iPhone & iPad

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wrighax,

I'm sorry you're running into some trouble when trying to sync your MacBook via Wi-Fi! I think this comes down to some confusion over how the Wi-Fi sync option works, and I'll be happy to help clear that up:

Wi-Fi sync is meant to work between a single Mac and one or more iOS devices, so it will not work directly between two Macs. You already have your iPhone and iPad set up to sync with your iMac, which is why you aren't seeing an option to enter the secret code from your MacBook.

Although it's possible to sync an iOS device with one Mac, then switch it to sync with the other Mac, we don't recommend it because it requires you to disable & set up Wi-Fi sync again each time you switch. Aside from being inconvenient, that has the potential to cause some problems.

With your setup, a better solution would be to sync your Macs and iOS devices with each other via Dropbox or iCloud.

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions about that or need help to set up sync with Dropbox or iCloud, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.