Save Authy Chrome Extension Password

payload
payload
Community Member

You know, searching for this issue is sort of hard because it involves the chrome extension of another app!

I just created an Authy account and wanted to further secure it with a strong password, but there doesn't seem to be a way to invoke the 1password mini app inside of Chrome to auto fill passwords in Chrome Apps.

Any way around this? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @payload,

Thanks for writing in with your question!

Just to make sure I understand, when you say "Chrome Apps", are you referring to what you see when you go to chrome://apps/? If so, although I'm not completely familiar with that feature of Chrome, it seems to be a way to open websites (similar to bookmarks). If so, you should be able to simply open a website from Chrome Apps and then use the 1Password browser extension / 1Password mini like normal (i.e. click on the 1Password extension icon or use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut).

However, I have a feeling I might have misunderstood the problem. If you can describe exactly what you're doing in Chrome and the exact steps you're taking to do it, that will help us understand so we can help you or give you a correct answer. Thanks in advance! :)

• payload
    payload
    Community Member

You're half right. I'm invoking a particular Chrome App called Authy, which is a 2FA utility serving as an alternative to Google Authenticator. It's nice to be able to copy/paste my 2FA keys into secure website accounts without having to constantly pick up my phone and launch Google Authenticator.

It works fine, but there is an option to further secure Authy with a password so not anyone can access my 2FA keys. I could enter a simple password, no password, or create a strong password with 1Password. The goal is to hit cmd-\ and have the 1Password browser extension know that I'm attempting to log into an app instead of a website, and then automatically fill the password inside Authy.

Hope that makes sense!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for clarifying that, @payload! I understand what you mean now, and I installed the Authy Chrome app to try it out. Even though you launch it from Chrome Apps in the Chrome browser, Authy actually launches as its own separate app. 1Password can fill login details on websites in a web browser because of the 1Password browser extension, which allows that sort of integration. But other apps don't have extensions like web browsers do, so there's no direct link between those apps and 1Password.

To use your login info from 1Password in another (non-browser) app on your Mac, you would need to copy and paste it. However, we make this easier with 1Password mini, which appears as a small icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen. You can click the 1Password mini icon (or use the ⌥⌘\ ( Option+Command+Backslash ) keyboard shortcut), find the login info you want, click/select a username or password to copy it, then paste into the app.

By the way, on a related topic, I wanted to mention that you can use 1Password to store your one-time passwords for websites where you enable two-factor authentication. It's a great feature, and you can find out how that works in this knowledgebase article: How to use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-step verification

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions or need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

• payload
    payload
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Oh, how lovely! I didn't know this feature existed. I just tried it out and it works like a charm. Thank you for telling me about it. Much more elegant than relying on yet another app.

Is there an easy way to have the 1Password browser extension auto-enter the one-time password, much like cmd-\ works for normal password forms? Or will I need to click the browser extension in the bookmarks bar and click "copy" next to the one-time password?

The only way I could figure out taking care of it without using the mouse was to click Cmd-Opt-Backslash, press the right arrow key once the entry is highlighted, press the down arrow key till I get to the one-time password, press the right arrow key towards "copy," then press return. Pressing esc brings me back into the web form where I can paste it.

Thanks again!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're quite welcome, @payload! I'm really glad you like that feature. It comes in very handy! :)

Is there an easy way to have the 1Password browser extension auto-enter the one-time password, much like cmd-\ works for normal password forms?

Unfortunately, no. It doesn't work the same way as the normal username and password fields because 1Password doesn't currently support filling custom fields (the same is true for any other custom fields you might add to an item in 1Password). But that would be a great feature, and it's something our developers have been looking into. I can't make any promises about if/when that would be possible, but I'll be happy to let our developers know you're also interested in that.

For now, as you suspected, you'll need to copy & paste the one-time password into the web form. You can either click on the one-time password with your mouse or use your keyboard as you described. But in your steps to use the keyboard, there's one step which isn't necessary:

...click Cmd-Opt-Backslash, press the right arrow key once the entry is highlighted, press the down arrow key till I get to the one-time password, press the right arrow key towards "copy," then press return.

The step you can skip is the one in bold above. When you use the down arrow to highlight a field, you should see a dotted line around it and the 'copy' button will appear to the right. At that point, you can just press Return to copy it (no need to use the right arrow first). Similarly, if you're using your mouse, you can click anywhere within the dotted line to copy that field (you don't need to click directly on the 'copy' button).

I hope that makes it at least a little bit easier! :)

ref: OPX-758

• payload
    payload
    Community Member

Great, thanks!

One other question: after syncing the vault with my iPhone, it doesn't appear the one-time password is showing in its entry. I noticed that I can add a one-time password manually in the app (I have the pro features enabled), but I just can't see the addition that I made on the iMac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@payload: Hmm. I wonder if Dropbox had a conflict between the versions of the login saved on your Mac and iPhone. The data should be (and probably is) syncing between the two, but if you open your 1Password vault on the Dropbox website, you should be able to see if there are "conflicted copy" .1password files that Dropbox has created there. 1Password won't read these, so if that's how Dropbox saved and sync'd the data it would explain why it isn't showing up for you. Please follow the steps in this guide, as it will help narrow down where things are going wrong:

Dropbox sync troubleshooting

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• payload
    payload
    Community Member

My bad! Thanks to your troubleshooting page I discovered it was a simple error on my part. I recently created an "old stuff" vault for items I don't use much anymore and to reduce the clutter of my main vault. The "old stuff" vault continued to sync but my main vault stopped syncing and I didn't catch it. Turned it back on, et voila.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @payload,

On behalf of brenty, you're welcome! Thank you for updating us and telling us what the problem was, I'm glad to hear it was an easy fix and that the troubleshoot guide did the trick. If you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with please don't hesitate to ask! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.